Men of Mark in Maryland
- Bernard C. Steiner, PhD, 1907
Spencer Cone JONES, banker and lawyer, was born at Rockville, Montgomery county, Maryland, July 3, 1836, the son of Reverend Joseph H. JONES, a Baptist clergyman, and Elizabeth (CLAGETT) JONES. Reverend Mr. Jones, who was in the active ministry for 52 years, resided at Rockville from 1821 to 1844, and at Frederick from 1844 to 1867. He then returned to Montgomery county and died there in 1871. He was the son of Charles JONES, who came from Drogheda, Ireland, to America in 1793 and settled in Alexandria, Virginia. In 1795, he married Prudence HAWKINS, of Providence, Rhode Island. Mrs. Joseph H. JONES was a daughter of Joseph CLAGETT of Montgomery county, and the line goes back through Henry and two Thomases to Thomas CLAGETT, who emigrtated from England to St. Leonard's Creek in Calvert county.
Spencer C. JONES was educated at the Rockville academy, at the Frederick public schools and at Frederick college, the old county academy. He then read law with William J. ROSS of Frederick and was admitted to the bar of Frederick county. During the War between the States, he enlisted in Company D, 1st Maryland Cavalry, Confederate States Army, and served as a private to the close of the contest. He then went to Texas and taught school near Huntsville for two years. Returning to Maryland in 1868, he began the practice of law at Rockville, where he has resided to the present time.
On December 21, 1871, he was married to Ellen, daughter of John and Elizabeth S. BREWER. Mrs. Jones died on July 21, 1876, leaving one daughter, Elizabeth, who is married to Thomas R. FALVY of New Orleans. In Rockville, Mr. Jones soon built up a large practice and in 1871 he was elected on the Democratic ticket to the office of state's attorney for Montgomery county. In 1875 he was reelected and, in 1879, he was elected clerk of the State Court of Appeals. A second term in this position was given him by the vote of the people of the State in 1885 and, in 1892, he was chosen by the legislature as state treasurer. To this position he was reelected in 1894 and was renominated in 1896, but failed of election, as there was a Republican majority in the general assembly. Mr. Jones was twice elected mayor of Rockville, in 1898 and 1900. He resigned this office, on being elected a member of the state senate in 1901. During the session of 1902, he was chairman of the finance committee, and during that of 1904, he was president of the senate. His unfailing courtesy, business-like manner and firm decision of character made him an excellent presiding officer. For several years he has been one of the leaders of his party in the state and his name has been frequently mentioned for the gubernatorial nomination. From the organization of the Montgomery County National Bank, May 21, 1884, to the present time, Mr. Jones has been one of its directors and he has been its president since January 1892.
He affiliates with the Baptist church, and is a Mason and Knight of Pythias, in both of which societies he has occupied the higher offices. Mr. Jones is vice-president of the Board of Visitors of the State School for the Deaf at Frederick.
Return to Maryland Bios
website by Dorinda Davis Shepley