"A Brief History of Middletown Valley - 1849-1890"
by Harry M. Gross - 1932 (Presented by John D. Barrett)
(an Excerpt from page 6, speaking of Middletown)
The town quickly became a trading center. Stores of all descriptions
appeared; small manufacturing industries, taking advantage of cheap raw
products, setup factories; religious groups built churches for their
worship; schools were created to train the young. Retired farmers,
after turning over the land to a hard-working son, moved into the village
and swelled the population. The unending train of Conestoga wagons,
passing along the main road, helped the trading of the community. From
its earliest history, the town has been quite successful.
Mr. John CASTLE,
a very well-known citizen of Middletown, gave the following description
of the town and the people who lived in it in 1865. He has listed almost
all the names of the residents and located where they lived –
- I will commence on the left side of the street, going east –
Stephen HAGEN, a large cooper shop; Warren WILLIAMSON; Edward REMSBERG;
Augustin ENGRAM; David SHEARER; Alfred BURGONIA; Jacob WISE; Mrs. Amanda
HAUPT; David BOLLINGER; Ezra MINNICK;
Dr. Wm. E. BOTELER; Mrs. CANNON; Joseph POWERS; Jacob NEIGH; Andra
POFFINBERGER; Joseph GAVER; BISER; NEIMEYER; Dr. SPRINGER; BOILEAU; Samuel
BOWLUS; Lawrence WRIGHT; Samuel GISSINGER; BECKWITH; M. E. Church.
The next house belonged to MICHAEL, Lloyd HERRING lived in a part of it
and conducted a harness shop of considerable size in the storeroom. Mr.
Christian REMSBERG kept the Post Office in the basement room with his
son William REMSBERG. Harry BOYER had a tin shop in the next room.
The next building owned by George BEARD also housed The Register printed
by George C. RHODERICK. BRANDENBURG, Perry LEVY, Lutheran Church, Dr.
BAER, Jacob ROUTZAHN, Robert THOMAS, Thomas WILLARD, Joseph LORENTZ,
Lutheran Parsonage (Rev. STRUBLE), Odd Fellow Hall, Joshua CORRICK,
Pollie LINCOM, Jacob ROUTZAHN, Washington HERBERT, Joseph BRANDENBURG,
Nathan MILLER, Jacob T. C. MILLER, Tytus BARTGIS – that was the last
house on the street.
- Commencing on the right-hand side, going east –
George KESSELRING, Arthur McQUAIDE, William DANNER, Jacob RUDY,
Lawson ALEXANDER, John ALEXANDER, John FINK, SCHLOSSER’s Tan yard,
John BISER, Peter SCHLOSSER, Old Aunt Betsy APPLEMAN, John APPLEMAN’s
Tannery, Hanson RUDY, Rev. Washington EVERS, Elizabeth BARRICK,
CUNNINGHAM; where the MAIN residence stands Adam KELLER had conducted
a large tannery; Edward HERRING Hotel run by Cap. YOUNG, John HERRING;
Lewis ROUTZAHN, Peter SHAFER Jr., Perry LEVY, Peter SHAFER Sr., John
LORENTZ, John and Bob LINTHICAM, Assie BOWLUS, BRANDENBURG,
NORENSES, John DERR, Wesley WACHTEL, Reformed Cemetery, William
LORENTZ, Joseph WISE, Mrs. Laney SMITH; and MILLERS, and that was
the last house on that street in that year.
- On the street called Canaan –
James CHAMBERLIN, Henry FEETE, Joshua RIDGELEY, John TRACEY,
Mahlon CASTLE, VAN ANDAHS, COONTZ’.
- On the KELLER’s street, commencing on the east side and coming
toward the square –
Rachel RUPLEY, Alan SPARROW, Thomas SPARROW, and George KEFAUVER.
- On the street running south (across) –
Reformed Parsonage (Rev. RUPLEY) and Harrison FEETE.
- On the west side of Keller Street lived the families –
SNURR, SHEARER, BOWLUS, CRONE, WEAVER
– and further on south, the colored settlement.
- Where the Railway is (back of town) –
Adam KELLER, School House,
and the Old Methodist Church – named “The Martin Box”. [e]