Jug Bridge Monument
JUG BRIDGE MONUMENT
In 1804, to assist the farmers in transporting their goods to market, a
turnpike was begun from Baltimore to Frederick. A resident of Frederick
County named Leonard HARBAUGH was considered one of the best stone masons
around and was commissioned to build a 65 foot stone arch bridge across the
Monocacy River, east of Frederick. Upon completion, he also built this large
demijohn, more popularly called a jug. Because of this, even though the
bridge was called the Monocacy Bridge, as time went by, it became known as
Jug Bridge as did the area around it.
The dwelling, used as a toll house and tavern, still exists and is now
a private residence.
The bridge collapsed in 1942 and a higher bridge was built, followed later
by an additional bridge when the road became a dual highway, part of Route
40. In the late 1900's, a bus crashed into the second bridge and now only the later
and highest bridge is in use.
The Jug was almost forgotten as it couldn't be seen after the higher bridges
were built, so it was moved to its present location at
East Patrick Street (extended) and Bowman Road.
© Copyright 1995-2008