Adams County, PA - Newspaper Abstracts
The Republican Compiler
March 20, 1822
Tuesday, May 4, 1830
- Ephraim SWOPE of Littlestown, died of measles the beginning of last week;
age about 6 months. (last issued announced the death of a sibling)
- Jacob ETZLER of near Hanover, on the Wed, the 21st last; age 59. The
Hanover Gazette says he had been blind for 56 1/2 years, having lost his
sight by sickness when a child.
- Abraham COPPERSMITH of Westminster, MD (formerly of this place) on Wed,
the 14th last; age 52. He was sitting on the fore part of a wagon on his
way to the river for boards and was thrown off by the passage of one of
the wheels over a stump; his breast was crushed and his life immediately
terminated by one of the hind wheels.
- Maj. Eli COULTER at his residence in the borough of Greensburg, PA on
the night of Sunday, the 18th last; age 38.
- William TUDOR, Charge d'Affaires of the US at the Brazillian Court,
at Rio de Janerio.
- Mathew LIDY, an old Revolutionary Soldier, at the Poor House of this
county on Saturday, the 24th last; in his 90th year.
- Murder - New Lisbon, April 24
In Smith Twp of this county, a man named Jacob HARTZEL, in a fit of mental
derangement, cut the throat of his only remaining child, a girl of about
9 years of age, from ear to ear! Mrs. Hartzel was so deeply affected,
she had to be removed to friends where it is believed she will not survive
the afflictive shock. (Patriot)
Oct 4, 1831
News Abstracts at MidMdRoots.com
website by Dorinda Davis Shepley
March 31, 2006