Washington County, Maryland - Newspaper Abstracts
Hagerstown Herald of Freedom
Wednesday, September 12, 1849
- William JOHNSTON and Mrs. Elizabeth ROBISON, both of
Clearspring on Tues, the 21st last
- Martin L. EMMERT and Miss Ann RUSSELL, both of this vicinity,
Tues. last by Rev. M. KEIFFER
- Mrs. Susan MASTERS, w/o John MASTERS, esquire, in Clearspring
on Tues, the 28th last; age 50
- Josephus HAYS, s/o George W. and Amelia A. HAYS, in Hancock
on the 1st last; age 8
- Miss Elizabeth MIDDLEKAUFF, d/o Daniel, of this place on Sat. last
- Thomas OGLE, a negro, jailed Sep 2; described as black, about 20,
5'8", wearing light summer clothes. He said he was free, born
and raised near Frederick City, Maryland - Daniel SOUTH, Sheriff
- Insolvency Notices (persons filing as insolvent)
- SNYDER, William
- BOHN, Valentine
- BRAGONIER, Jonathan
- NUCE, Peter
- RIDENOUR, Adam
- FOX, George
- BEDIEHIMER, Henry
- MOCK, Abraham
- JUSTICE, Claudius
- DOYLE, W. Todd
- MILLER, Samuel D.
- RUDISILL, Michael Jr.
- HANES, Robert
- Sheriff's Sale
- per Washington County court - John SCHLOSSER vs Samuel BENTZ
and William H. STONEBRAKER
All rights of Samuel BENTZ to be sold - house, stable, tan yard, etc on
14 acres, adjoining property known as Bentz' Factory near Boonesboro.
Sale to be held on 26 Sep at James CHAMBERS' Tavern in Boonesboro.
- Daniel SOUTH, Sheriff
Wednesday, December 12, 1849
- John WEST, a negro, was jailed on Nov 16. He was described
as black, 5'11", about 25, wearing drab home made clothing and
a drab slouch hat. Nov 21, 1849 - Daniel SOUTH, Sheriff
- Mary JONES, a negro, was jailed on Nov 7. She was described
as black, about 25, of ordinary size, wearing summer clothing
and a cape. Nov 21, 1849 - Daniel SOUTH, Sheriff
- Insolvency Notices
- MOLER, Adam
- MUNSON, J. Frederick
- FOX, Daniel
- DAGENHART, Emanuel
- MACGILL, Charles
- BURKHART, John
- Examiner's Notice
Request for road at Hagerstown and Leitersburg Turnpike to run between
Joseph EMMERT and William BAKER's properties and thru Emmert's land to
division line of Emmert and David WALLICH and thru Daniel ZELLER's land
to division line of Zeller and John MIDDLEKAUFF to Greencastle Road
between brick house occupied by FROWNFELTER and Middlekauff's Run.
- Daniel OSTER, Daniel STARTZMAN, John S. HAMILTON, examiners
- Public Sale
- Abraham GRAY farm, 130 acres, adjoining John HORINE's property and
John EBB's and others. It lies near mills of DOUB and WITMER. The land
quality is principally limestone with high cultivation and good fencing.
It has log dwelling house, several small tenant houses, Swisser barn, well
of water near the door of main house, fine spring and 25 acres are in timber.
There are also two log houses with 6 acres in Smoketown, well of water
and stabling. - Michael NEWCOMER, executor
Wednesday, February 5, 1851
- Scarlet Fever Deaths
- William Alburtis HILL on Jan 4; age 2
- John Henry SPIELMAN on Jan 11; age 4
- Joseph WALTERS on Jan 18; age 2y 8m 13d
- Anselm WALTERS on Jan 22; age 5y 2m 20d
The Walters were sons of Anselm and Mary Ann WALTERS.
All of them were children of three sisters.
- Mr STOTLER who lives four or 5 miles from Hagerstown, recently
lost three children by Scarlet Fever, having died within a few days
of each other.
News Abstracts at MidMdRoots.com
website by Dorinda Davis Shepley
March 31, 2006