- Jacob M. HUFFER to Miss Sarah E. DELAUDER, eldest d/o Samuel DELAUDER,
all of Middletown Valley, on the 7th last at the residence of the bride's
parents by Rev. H. L. COMFORT.
- Cornelius C. DOUB to Miss Florence E. ROUTZAHN, second d/o Hezekiah ROUTZAHN,
all of Middletown Valley, on the 12th last at the residence of the bride's
parents near Middletown by Rev. G. W. STATTON.
- Charles V. C. SANNER of Middletown to Miss Anzonetta TOMS, eldest d/o Ezra TOMS,
all of Middletown Valley, on the 14th last at the residence of the bride's parents
near Myersville by Rev. G. W. STATTON.
- William B. DOWNEY, Esquire and Editor of the Leesburg, VA Republican, to Mrs.
Kate MOODY, at the residence of the bride's father, Samuel CULBERTSON, Esquire,
in Williamsport on Wednesday morning last by Rev. George G. SMITH.
- Jacob L. KEAFAUVER of Middletown area to Miss Mary M. MORRISON, eldest d/o
Talbot MORRISON, late of Middletown, on the 7th last at the residence of the
bride's parents near Montrose, Montgomery county, Maryland by Rev. COMPEON.
- Henry SIGLER to Miss Lydia E. ZECHER, d/o John ZECHER, all of Middletown Valley,
on the 7th last at the residence of the bride's parents in Middletown Valley by
Rev. D. STECK.
- John JAMISON to Mrs. Sarah WILLHIDE, both of the Furnace, on the 14th last at
Catoctin Furnace by Rev. John K. NELSON.
- Seibert Luther TOMS, eldest s/o John H. and S. C. TOMS, on the 9th last near
Middletown of hemorrhage; age 12y.2m.22d
- Mrs. Nancy G. LAMBRIGHT, w/o late Jacob LAMBRIGHT, of this city, on the 11th
last in baltimore; age 66y.3m
- Miss Barbara WELLER, a native of Pennsylvania but for many years a
resident of Mechanicstown and Frederick County, on the 8th last in
Baltimore; age 89?y.2m.30d
- Mrs. Mary Magdalena LONG, on the 9th last in Lewistown; age 42 years
- Edgar SHOEMAKER, s/o John M. and Amy SHOEMAKER, on the 6th last in
Franklinville; age 18m
- Edith Ann WOOLORD?, d/o Mary Ann and the late William WOOLORD?, on the 12th
last near Mechanicstown; age 8y.5m.10d
- Mrs. Catharine SHUFF, relict of the late James SHUFF, on the 13th last at
Catoctin Furnace; age about 80 years
- Daniel ROOT of R., on the 12th last near Ladiesburg; age 66y.2m.10d
- Miss Mary Elizabeth KRUGE, d/o Daniel KRUGE, on the 15th last on the
Rocky Ridge Road, four miles south of Emmittsburg; age 23 years
- Mrs. Mary STANSBURY, w/o Nicholas Croon? STANSBURY and d/o Jacob MUNSHOUR,
(no date given) on Tom's Creek near MAXELL's Mill; age 29y.3m.22d; leaving
three small children too young to know their loss.
- John Thomas ALBAUGH, s/o Jacob and Susan ALBAUGH, (no date given) near
Oak Hill; age 1y.5m.23d
- Paul? HERSH to Mary F. GITT, d/o A. F. GITT, on the 14th last,
at New Oxford, PA by the Rev. D. J. HAUER, D. D.
- Hon. William P. MAULSY? of this city, to Mrs. Anna E. M. FISHER
of Westminster, on the 20th last, by the Rev. Julian E. INGLE.
- Samuel K. MOORE to Miss Susannah E. MILLER of Sabillasville,
on the 19th last in Mechanicstown by the Rev. John K. NELSON.
- Daniel H. WACHTER to Miss El___ A. CASTOLL?, all of Frederick County,
on the 19th last at the Lutheran Parsonage in Mechanicstown by Rev. SUMMERS.
- Thomas M. WACHTER to Miss Cynthia A. C. MEASEL, all of Frederick County,
on the 21st last at the same place by the same.
(meaning the same as referenced in the listing just before?)
- Lewis S. RAMSBURG to Miss Caroline S. HEDGE, both of Bethel in this county,
on the 19th last by Rev. A. R. KREMER
- John W. SULLIVAN of Chambersburg, PA to Ms Annie E. FARQUHAR of New Market
on the 21st last at the Lutheran Parsonage by the Rev. Dr. DIEHL
- Mrs. Margaret WALKER, beloved w/o George B. WALKER of Montgomery Co, MD,
died on the 17th last, at the residence of her sons near this city; age 66y.11m.
- Samuel M. BRAGONIER, s/o Cpt. A. C. and Elizabeth BRAGONIER, died on the 14th
last, in Middletown; age 1y.8m (days are smudged).
- John TURNER died on the 12th last, at his residence in Urbana District,
this county; age 45 years.
- Edwin Albert STOCKSDALE, s/o George and Amanda Virginia STOCKSDALE,
died on the 16th last, in Mechanicstown; age 1y.5m.18d.
- Amanda Virginia STOCKSDALE, w/o George W. STOCKSDALE, died on the 20th last,
in Mechanicstown; age 38? years (years and months smudged), 5 days.
- Lizzie BOBLITZ, d/o Ephraim L. and Emma J. BOBLITZ, died on the 21st last,
in Mechanicstown; age about 3 years.
- Minerva DAVIS, d/o Edward and Catharine DAVIS, died on the 16th last,
near Mechanicstown; age 1y.9d.
- Mrs. Ann Sophia BOONE, w/o Dennis BOONE, formerly of this county,
died on the 11th last, in Shepherdstown, WV; age 50y.20d.
- Joseph WATKINS died on the 20th last, in Cumberland, after great suffering,
which he bore with Christian fortitude; age 63y.25d.
- Sudden Death - GAVER
- Daniel GAVER of Burkittsville, died suddenly last Sunday. It seems he went
over with David ARNOLD to Joshua AHALT's to look at some cattle, but while there,
was taken sick. He was immediately taken to Ahalt's house, but before medical
assistance could be procured, he expired, caused by heart disease.
- Discharged - PUTNAM
- Jacob PUTNAM of Woodsboro District, who was arrested a few weeks ago on
the charge of poisoning his wife and confined to jail, was discharged on
Tuesday last, the testimony before the Grand Jury being insufficient.
The analysis of the stomach of the deceased, made at the College of Pharmacy
in Baltimore, disclosed no evidence of poison.
- Equity #3769 - Charles BUTCHER and wife vs Mary BUTCHER, Henry FOLEY and
wife Mary Jane, et al
Petition to sell Real Estate
Peter BUTCHER died in May 1869, intestate, leaving
widow, Mary and children
..Harriet w/o Henry FOLEY
..Mary Jane w/o Meredith BABER
..Sarah w/o Thomas DREW
..Susan w/o William MATHAS
..William Henry BUTCHER
Widow has dower's interest; all heirs are residents of Maryland except
William Henry BUTCHER.
- Administrator's Notice
- Elizabeth PHEBUS estate; Benjamin F. PHEBUS, Admin
- William M. EYLER estate; Daniel V. HARP, Admin
- O. Augustus SHANK to Elizabeth _. SMITH, both of this County, on the
20th last at the Lutheran Parsonage in Woodsboro by Rev. M. W. FAIR.
- Thomas H. WEBB to Miss Martha ZIMMERMAN, both of this county on the
26th last in this city by Rev. J. A. PRICE.
- Lewis H. BURRIER of this city, to Miss Sarah V. BEARD of Middletown
Valley, on the 26th last by Rev. D. STECK.
- James H. DAVIS to Miss Annie B. PAXTON, both of Fauquier Co, VA,
on the 21st last in this city by Rev. J. C. HUMMER.
- William H. KREPS to Miss Margaret Ann STIMMEL, all of this county,
in Mechanicstown on the 25th last by Rev. J. SUMMERS.
- Nathan ANGEL to Miss Lizzie SHEETS, both of Taneytown District, on
Thursday, the 21st last, at Emmitsburg by Rev. E. H. JOHNSON.
- John O'HARRA to Miss Mollie L. BAER, both of Bartonsville in this
county, on the 28th last at Bartonsville by Rev. Dr. DIEHL.
- John J. VEIT on the 22nd last in this city; age 71y.2m.6d
- Jacob HELLER on the 23rd last at his residence in Middletown Valley;
- Daniel GAVER of Burkittsville on the 23rd last, very suddenly of Cramp
Colic; age 61y.8m
- John J. IRVIN, formerly of Jefferson in this county, on the 15th last
in Waynesboro, PA of cancer in the stomach; age 51y.10d
- John B. COVER, s/o William and Virginia COVER, on Saturday, the 23rd
last, in Mechanicstown; age 1y.9m.5d
- Rosalba H. MARTIN, d/o John W. and Ellen MARTIN, on Saturday, the
23rd last, in Mechanicstown; age 2y.8m.10d
- Mrs. Mary Catharine BURNS, w/o John BURNS, on Monday, the 25th last,
in Mechanicstown; age abt 22 years
- Mrs. Eliza J. PORTER, on the 16th last in Philadelphia; age 77 years
- Jacob MILLER on the 26th last in Eyler's Valley; age 87y.3m.13d
- Mrs. Margaret HOSPELHORN, widow of Henry HOSPELHORN, on the 25th last
near Franklinville; age 77y.12d
- Georgie Virginia STOCKSDALE, d/o Stephen B. and Annie R. STOCKSDALE,
on the 12th last in Finksburg, Carroll County; age 9m.12d
- Laura Kate KOLB, oldest d/o Jacob M. KOLB, on the 11th last in
Springfield, Ohio; age 16y.2m
- Nannie E. CASH, d/o Lewis and Margie CASH, on the 14th last at Double
Pipe Creek of Measels; age 8y.4m.12d
- Mary Susan SAYLER, d/o Rev. D. R. and Sarah SAYLER, on the 18th last
at Double Pipe Creek of Measels; age 5y.28d
- Sarah Catharine RENNER, d/o William H. and Lizzie RENNER, on the 21st
last at Double Pipe Creek of Measels; age 3y.8m.26d
- Ella May EMMERT, d/o J. S. and Annie E. EMMERT and grand-daughter of
Elder D. P. and Sarah SAYLER, on the 22nd last at Double Pipe Creek of
Measels with Whooping Cough; age 1y.4m.2d
- Arthur Leon LAMBERT, s/o Jesse F. and Mary A. LAMBERT, on the 24th
last at Double Pipe Creek of Spinal Disease; age 4y.11m.8d
- Mrs. Elizabeth HALLER, consort of the late Jacob B. HALLER, on the
29th last of Apoplexy after seven hours illness; age 67y.2m.21d
- Administrator's Notice - ROOT
- Daniel ROOT of R., deceased - Daniel P. SAYLER, adm
- Equity# 3806 - JAMES
- Adam NUSBAUM vs Samuel E. JAMES and wife Catharine, et al
To settle mortgage (for 141+ acres) owed to Joseph RUNKLES on
23 Jul 1868 for $4,000 in 4 notes. Runkles assigned two of
the notes to William O. SELLMAN and Rachel A. SPARGO; only
Sellman's note was paid. The James' have since moved out
- Farm Purchase
- Mrs. Susan ALBAUGH, Frederick County, one of the heirs of
the late Abraham SNYDER, purchased a farm belonging to the
estate of the deceased, situated near Duffields, Jefferson
Co, WV, containing 200 acres at $60/acre. [Valley Register]
- Administration Notice
- Daniel ROOT of R., deceased - Daniel P. SAYLER, Adm
- Executor's Notice
- Philip HITESHEW, deceased - Matilda J. HITESHEW, Exec
- Dead Man Found - OSBORN
- Last Saturday, a white man by the name of Walter OSBORN, aged
68 years, was found dead in Fishing Creek, near STINE's Saw Mill,
in this District, with marks of violence about his head, which has
given rise to the suspicion that he was murdered. A week or so
previous to his being found, his coat was found with blood on it,
which led to the belief that he had been foully dealt with. Some
time ago he was an inmate of the Almshouse, but since that was in
the employ of Mr. J. B. KUNKLE, and the last time he was seen was
a few weeks ago in company with a man who is suspected of murdering
him, and what gives strength to the suspicion is the fact that the
suspected party has left, but we understand that the officers of
the law are in prusuit of him, who will probably capture him. A
jury of inquest was held and the verdict rendered was that the
deceased came to his death by blows inflicted upon his head.
- Death of an Aged Citizen - HELLER
- Mr. Jacob HELLER, an aged and respected citizen of this Valley,
died at his residence about two miles south of this place, on
Saturday night last, in the 86th year of his age. Mr. Heller
emigrated to this country from Germany many years ago, and took
up his residence in this Valley, where he has lived ever since.
He served seven years in the French Army under Napoleon First,
and with that army passed through the campaign in Russia.
- [Valley Register]
- Another Accident by Fire - ENGLE
- A little son of William ENGLE, living near MYERS' Mill, on Big
Hunting Creek, was severely burned on Thursday, the 21st instant.
The mother was engaged washing outside the house, and hearing the
screams of the child, who had but a moment before been near the
fire where she was washing - succeeded in extinguishing the flames.
One of the child's legs was almost literally roasted. Dr. Michael
J. ZIMMERMAN of Creagerstown rendered aid, and the child is doing
well. Be careful of fire. - [Catoctin Clarion]
- Chicken Thieves
- On Saturday night last, the chicken houses of George W. RICE on
West Third Street, and B. F. M. HURLEY on West Second Street, were
robbed of some very valuable game and other select chickens. The
thieves have a peculiar way of capturing game, viz: they strike
a match and hold it under the bill of the chicken, which causes
it to fall without making a noise, thus enabling them to get away
without being detected. If these petty thieves continue their
operations, we may expect to hear the report of a gun in our
neighborhood shortly, as our neighbors are on the lookout.
We understand that Mr. Francis BRENGLE lost all his poultry
within the last three weeks. There are others reported to us
who have lost their poultry.