Frederick County, Maryland
Equity WIP-5 - 1890
These are abstracts from Equity Court Records of Frederick County, Maryland,
Liber WIP-5; many times providing family data on the defendant and sometimes on
persons not mentioned on the docket. Some of the listings are quite informative
while others, being dismissed, may only have the date and name of plantiff and
defendant. However, the cases brought before the judge consisted of sworn testimony
and each one holds a story. Perhaps you will find a story connected to your search.
[Records Located at Maryland State Archives - MSA T2936, Loc 2-70-10-60 dtd 1890]
- 486-501 - ECKER, GITTINGS, KEMP, ETZLER, BISER, ABEL, WHITMORE - 1890
- ECKER vs KEMP - #5699 -
Levi ECKER d. c1878 intestate, leaving
widow - Mary E. (GITTINGS) and 8 children
1. Ellen Lugenia (Ecker) w/o Alexander KEMP, Montgomery Co, MD
2. Ida May (Ecker) w/o Anderson ETZLER*
3. Cordelia E. (Ecker) w/o Augustus ETZLER*
4. George Levi ECKER, single - Ohio
5. Albert Washington ECKER and w/ Jennie I.
6. Thomas Clinton ECKER, b/ c1871, a minor
(lived w/sister, Ellen) - Montgomery Co, MD
7. Carrie Bell ECKER, b/ c1874, a minor (lived w/mother)
(court records misspelled her name as Clara)
8. Clarence Josephus ECKER, b/ c1876, a minor (lived w/mother)
*(Augustus and Anderson ETZLER were half-brothers.)
Levi had purchased property from William P. MANDSLEY Jr,
Milton G. URNER, and Milton CARTER, trustees, for 31+ acres
(Lot# 8, wooded). Before his death, he sold to Mary X. ABEL,
a portion of this dtd 15 Apr 1878 (TG-11, 685); and 13 acres
were sold to her by the heirs and trustees (TG-10, 105). He
died before the property could be conveyed.
On 4 Jun 1890, John J. BISER was named as guardian.
On 12 Jun 1890, testimony was given -
- by Mary E. ECKER, age 49, (the widow), lives near Libertytown.
She testified she had an offer of purchase from Edward HOBBS
to sell for $16/acre the 13-16 acre wooded lot which was a good
price, since much of the wood had already been cut. She had this
in addition to her "home place".
- by George W. GITTINGS, age 80, lived in Liberty, testified he
was the father of Mary E. ECKER and restated the same data.
- by George H. WHITMORE, age 46, of Liberty, testified his wife
was Mrs. ECKER's sister, and claimed the same details as the others.
On 26 Jun 1890, Frank C. NORWOOD was named Trustee, advertisement
done in "Banner of Liberty"; sale was approved and auditor's report
was ordered on 31 Aug 1890.
Equity Records at Mid Maryland Roots
website by Dorinda Davis Shepley
© Copyright 1995-2006 MidMdRoots
February 6, 2007