Biographies From Wellington County Atlas, 1906.
Benjamin Harrison b 1795 England d July 7, 1876,
1827 At the corner of present Fountain St (then called Waterloo St.) and Gordon is the place where he built his log house. During the construction of it he camped under his wagon. This was his only shelter for five weeks and two days. Three times in his first season he drew supplies from the Niagara country into Guelph. He sold surplus to his fellow townsmen.
He considered opening a store in the log house but the number asking at his door for a bed outnumbered those seeking merchandise. Harrison's house became, what is by tradition, the second tavern built.
1828 owned one of three teams of horses in Guelph and used them to draw loads of merchandise from Niagara.
1827 St. Andrews Presbyterian Church services were held in his log house and then moved to the stone school when completed.
1846 listed as an auctioneer.
Fanny Harrison 1856-1858 (Norfolk St. Pewholder) 1827 pioneer in Guelph and still living there in 1877.
1828 she would gather a few of the children together at her home, to teach them to read in the New Testament. It is probable that in 1828 the first Sunday School was started in her home, she was an earnest Methodist, and was continued during the summer months for some years.
| Early Members | Sunday School | Townships |
| Queen's Bush Settlement | | Egerton Ryerston |
| Items of Interest | Links | Sources | Norfolk St. Methodist Church - Guelph |
Created and maintained by: Ken Russell
Last Updated 09/06/02