Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Church & Vestry

 

Homepage

Vicarage

The Vicarage

In the document dated from 4th June 1735 written by William LUGAR and Robert BRADSTREET, the fence which separated the Vicarage Yard from the Church was rotten and shattered so a new one was made. Close by and touching the 'Pales' were 7 Ash trees, and were seen as ornaments to the front of the vicarage House. One was dead and another was partly decayed, so the Vicar cut them down considering them a nuisance because they darkened the house. Some of the trees he put near the fence parting his backyard from his garden. The rest were in the churchyard ready for future use. In another document dated 1770, the Vicar had a glebe of two and half acres, a house, Garden, Orchard, Stable, Coach House and forty shillings a year paid from the Tithes. The vicarage was valued in 1831 as 262 and was in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Bishop. The rectory house and great tithes were held on lease by William Webb under the Archdeacon. The tithes were leased, the rectorial for 1360 p.a. and the vicarial for 325 p.a.

          In 1848 the vicarage, valued in K.B. at 11.0s.10d., and in 1831 at 262, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Hy. Bishop, M.A., who has a good residence, and 7A.2B. 28P.of Glebe. The Rectory House, with 27A. of Glebe, and the great tithes, are held on lease, under the Archdeacon by Wm. Webb, Esq. The tithes have been commuted, the rectorial for 1360, and the vicarial for 325 per annum. The living is a discharged vicarage, tithe rent-charge 262; is in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, incumbency of the Rev. Henry Bishop, M.A in 1851, From 1862 to 1871 the living is a discharged vicarage, tithe rent-charge 382, with 6 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. James Todd. From 1872 to 1890 the tithe rent-charge was 433 held by the Rev. Thomas Walter Perry, hon, cannon of St Albans. By 1895, the rent-charge 290; net yearly value 215 and held by Rev. Greville Turner Hales M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. In 1899 the net yearly value 239, held since 1897 by the Rev. Frederick Joseph Ball M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. When held by Rev. Reginald Hall Grubbe, B.A of Trinity College, Cambridge in 1902, the net yearly value was 259. Between 1906 and 1917 the living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value was 500, including 6 acres from 1906 - 1917 then 7 acres of glebe and residence from 1922 - 1933, and held since 1902 by the Rev. Reginald Hall Grubbe, B.A of Trinity College, Cambridge. In 1937 the net yearly value 360, including 7 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1937 by the Rev. Walter Alex Parker Mason. M.A.Trinity College, Oxford. 

 

Church Index

Homepage