Badley Hall (Bedley Hall)
Badley or Bedley Hall was once called a manor. John Lugar was an occupier in 1777. In 1796 William Lugar (b.1755) and John Lugar (b. 1769) were occupiers. In 1841 William Heffer (b.abt 1791) was living at Badley Hall and he worked as a farmer's bailiff. He lived there with his wife Clarissa (b. abt 1801) and four childrem: William (b.abt 1830), Robert (b.abt 1832) , Clarissa (b. 1846) and Eliza (b.1840). From 1848 John Eagle, esq. was at Badley Hall to 1878 when Daniel Cooper, (b. abt 1853, Colchester, farmer) was occupying. He was a farmer of 244 acres and employed 7 men and 2 boys. His wife was Agnes (b.abt 1852, Ardleigh) and sons John (b.abt 1879, Ardleigh), Conrad (b.abt 1800, Ardleigh) and Norman (b.1880 - 5 months - Ardleigh). In 1881 they had servants: Sarah Smith (b. abt 1865, Ardleigh) and Mary Ann Perry (b. abt 1867, Mistley). By 1891 Robert Richardson )b. 1859, Layer de la Haye) was living there. He was a farmer and unmarried. He had a housekeeper Mrs. Margaret Mortimer (1831, Ardleigh). In 1902 Robert was still occupying Badley Hall.
Bradley Hall (also known as Badliss Hall)
Bradley Hall also known as Badliss Hall was occupied in 1777 by William Lugar. In 1796 William was 41 years and living at the hall with his wife Mary Lugar (b.abt 1753) and children: William (b.abt 1775), Mary Ann (b.abt 1780) and Sophia (b.abt 1783). Their servants were: Samuel Alderton (b.abt 1751), Jacob Alexander (b. abt 1746), Isaac Turthall (b. abt 1785) and Susan Southernwood (b.abt 1778). Living with them were: Jacob Lee (b.abt 1773), his wife Ann (b.1763), step-children: Elizabeth Watts (b.abt 1784), John Watts (b.abt 1787), Samuel Watts (b.1790), George Watts (b.abt 1793) and Christopher (b.1794). In 1870 Albert James Eagle was living at the Hall and was a farmer and by 1874 Herbert James Eagle, a farmer was living there. In 1881 James Steed (b. 1854, Aldham) an agricultural labourer was living at 'Badliss Hall' with his wife Eliza Steed (b.abt 1855, Aldham) and sons Alfred Steed (b. abt 1875, Aldham) and Henry Steed (b.abt 1879, Dedham). Also another family John Lazell (b.abt 1842, Great Bentley), an agricultural labourer, wife Mary Ann (b.abt 1847, Ardleigh) and sons Frederick Lazell (b.abt 1868, Great Bentley and Harry Lazell (b.abt 1874, Ardleigh. In 1882 Herbert James Eagle, a farmer was living at the Hall and by 1891 Henry Purkiss (b.1844, Ardleigh) a farm labourer was living at Badliss Hall with his daughter Emily (b.1865, Ardleigh), mother Mahala (nee Mears, b. abt1834, Ardleigh), a widow and his brother Arthur Purkiss (b. 1870, Ardleigh), with another family. Joseph Smith (b. 1827, Ardleigh) , a stockman lived there also with his wife Mary Smith (b.1827, Ardleigh).
The Manor of Bovills (or Bradvills)
Bovills Manor was half a mile southwest of the church and was owned by Hugh de Gurnai at the time of the Domesday book. The name took its name from Richard de Bovill who held it under Hugh de Gurnai. After the conquer Hugh came over with William the Conqueror after he fought the French with him. On 31st Dec 1540 on Sir Thomas Teys death, Thomas left Bovills to one of his four daughter, Frances the youngest. Frances married Thomas Bomham, Esq and had a son Thomas who sold it in 1582 to John Southwell. In 1583 Edward Bedingfield passed it on to Richard Bedingfield and in 1594 it was conveyed to Richard Bridgewater (Doctor of Laws) and after his death, his wife Judith came into possession in 1587. Their son, Richard Bridgewater, died 10th May 1589, leaving a son and heir named Richard. Richard conveyed the estate in 1635 to William Theedham. It was nearly sold in 1654 by a James Arwaker but in 1649 Bezaliel Gael purchased it. It was then sold to Henry Lamb of Colchester in 1655. His son Henry came into to possession in 1677 and a Henry Lamb had it 90 years on in 1768. William was owner in 1771and this was then passed on to Sandford Lambe (b.1766) . William Sandford Lambe followed Sandford as owner and he sold it in 1849 to James Cuddon. He left it to his two sons, James and Francis. In 1866 Nicholl Charrington esq.(b.1816, Barnet, Kent), was residing at Bovills Hall. James and Francis Cuddon sold Bovills to Henry Edward Paine and Richard Brettell in 1870. It was then sold to Edward Cubitt Francis of Norwich in 1871. Nicholl Charrington was still residing at Bovills Hall in 1871, he was a brewer and timber merchant. He was living there with his wife Ann (b.1815, London), daughter Annie (b.1847, Colchester) and grand-daughter Rose Worts (b.1867). They had servants Elizabeth Parker, Eliza Lester and Elizabeth Richerson and groom James Payne. In the 1891 census Charrington had his wife, daughter Louisa (b.1857, Holy Trinity, Colchester), grandchildren: Cecil (b.1876, Wal---bury, Kent) and Gorden Merritage (b.1885, Greenock, Scotland) living with him. His servants at the time were Maria Cox (b.1835, Hoxton) their cook, Edith Miller (b.1813, Great Bromley), Laura Marriage (b.1875, East Mersea), Florene Davies (b.1865, Woodbridge) and James Ashby (b.1845, Herfordshire) their butler. In 1892 it was bought by Charrington Nicholl, Esq. of Colchester who died in 1905. He was well known for his kindness to the village and also presented the lychgate to the people of Ardleigh in 1897. It reads: 'This Lychgate was presented by Charrington Nicholl to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, 1897'. see photo of Lychgate on photo page.
Little known but not one of the original four manor houses in Ardleigh. Used to be a nursery, today is a residential rehabilitation unit for adults.
The Manor of Martells (sometimes called Martyn's Hall now George Hall)
Martell's Hall stood three quarters of a mile south of the church in Slough Lane, Ardleigh. It was given to Geoffrey de Magnaville (Mandeville), Earl of Essex, at the conquest by the King. It took its name from the Martells who were under-tenants of the Hall they also owned Martells Hall in Rivenhall. Willliam Martell founded the priory of Snapes in the year 1155 and gave it as a cell to St John's Abbey in Colchester. William, his son, whose wife was Felicia, died in 1252. Ralph, her son died in 1259 and his John held the manor and died in 1307. The next owner was William Martel, Esq. , he married Alice, daughter of Benedict de Cokefield. After him came Thomas. He died on 26th June 1424 and is buried in Ardleigh Church, the last male apparently. William Martel's nephew Elias Dorewood succeeded, who died in 1426 which left his wife and three children - Elizabeth, Margaret and William. William died in 1438 at age 14 years and then the heiress was Elizabeth who was married to David Mortimer. She died in 1452 leaving two sons, Robert and David. Robert held this estate and died on 22nd August 1485 leaving a daughter Elizabeth, then only 10 years. Elizabeth Mortimer married George Gilford. She sold the Ardleigh estate in 1528 to William Mannock, Esq. of Gifford's Hall, near Stoke-by-Nayland, Suffolk. William died in 1558. His great grand-son, Sir Francis was a Baronet in 1627. His successor, Sir Francis conveyed the estate to Thomas Mannock of Bromley Hall and when he died it descended to his nephew Sir Francis of Gifford's Hall. When he died in 1758 and left Martell's eldest son, Sir William Mannock, of Great Bromley Hall, who died in 1764 leaving an only child. In 1771 Joseph Girling (b.1734), was living a Martell's and in 1796 Joseph, a yeoman, was living with his wife Sarah (b.1737) and sons John (b.1771) and James (b.1774). Their servants were Robert Kinghts (b.1773), * Cole (b.1776), Sarah Barrell (b.1779) and James Went (b.1776). By 1848 the house was tenanted by the Lugar family for two or three generations from Lord Ashburton, . John Kelly Lugar was living at the manor first, in 1865 James Marshall Lugar (b. 1829, Ardleigh), farmer was living there. In 1871 James was a farmer of 130 acres that employed 4 men and 1 boy. He was unmarried and had a housekeeper Mary A Howard (b.1855, Ardleigh). The old house was pulled down and a small modern farm house was built on the site. It was rebuilt on old foundations in 1880. In 1881 James' niece Edith Lugar (b.1865, Ardleigh) and cousin Sarah Bedford (b.1844, Ardleigh) were living with him. His servant was Anna Faires (b.1868). In 1891 James still remained unmarried and still had his niece and cousin living in the household. The servant at this time was Jessie Went (b.1872, Ardleigh). In 1905 the estate was in possession of William Nocton, Esq. of Langham. Today the building no longer exists but a house has been built on the estate owned by Bobby George Darts legend, (see picture New Photos page).
Mose Hall (Moose, Moyes, Moze or More Hall)
The Land belonged to Robert Gernon, Lord Montfitchet, at the time of the Domesday Book. On his death Mose Hall fell to Aveline and her husband, William de Fortz, the Earl of Albemarle, who died in 1211. It was left to his son, William, Earl of Albemarle, who left three sons who died and left among them two daughters. Of these the youngest daughter, Aveline inherited Moze Hall and in 1269 married the Prince Edmund Crouchback, Earl of Lancaster. He was the son of the King of England, Henry III, (he was deformed and it is legend that he was the eldest son and should have been King) his brother was Edward I. At this time the tenants of the estates appear to have been Richard de Pevelin. After this time, like the other Manors in Ardleigh, the Tey(e)s took possession. Robert Tey held the manor in 1426, following was his son John in 1446. His son, John Tey died in 1462. His son, Sir Thomas Tey held the estates and died in 1540. In 1570, Peter Bennet held it and sold it on to William Theodam (Theedham) sold it to a Chelmsford apothecary, who then sold it to John Wall, whose son inherited it, Daniel Wall, vicar of Bromfield. One of his sons, Sherman Wall sold it to a Ralph Creffield, Esq., who died in 1723 and the estate was left to his widow. She married a Charles Gray. In 1771 Thomas Bromley was living at Mose Hall, and by 1796 Philip Bomley (b.1746), yeoman was living there with his wife Elizabeth (b.1744) and children: Mary (b.1769), Peter (b.1778), Nathaniel (b.1780), Philip (b.1782) and John (b.1784). Their servants were Elizabeth MacNam (b.1776) and Mathew Lily (b. 1778).Between 1848 - 1870 Thomas Bromley, a farmer resided followed by Matthias Bromley, farmer. In 1874 Thomas Bromley, farmer until 1881 when Henry Bromley (b.abt 1856, Ardleigh) lived at the Hall. He was a farmer of 158 acres employing 7 men and 1 boy. His wife Clara Bromley (b.abt 1858, Little Bentley) and sister Elizabeth Bromley (b.abt 1851, Ardleigh). Their servants were: Sarah I. CRAMPIAN (b. abt 1866, Tendring), Elizabeth BURES (b. abt 1817, Ardleigh), Thomas SADLER (b. abt 1838, Grinstead Colchester). In the 1891 census Mrs. Eliza Bromley (b.abt 1817, Great Easton). Her husband Thomas had died before 1891. Her children: Elizabeth (b.abt 1850, Ardleigh) and Alfred (b.abt 1853, Ardleigh) were living at home. They had a boarder Billy Bewek (b.abt1817, Arldeigh) staying with them. Their servant was Emmie Louisa Ward (b. abt 1874, Ardleigh). In 1902 Walter Dennis, a farmer, was living at Mose Hall. By 1905 Mose Hall was in the possession of the Round family.
The Manor of Pigotts (Ardleigh Hall)
The old Manor house of Picotts was south-west of the church. It belonged to Roger de Ramis and his son, Roger who were Norman nobles. They came over from Frances with William the Conqueror. They were awarded several estates for helping William conquer. He had to pay the King money yearly which had to support ten knights with their horses and armour in return. They gave the church to St John's Abbey in Colchester (perhaps they built the church?). In 1140 one of his sons or grandsons (another) Roger was fined for making a park without the King's permission. In 1167 William de Raynes (his son) was in possession and this was followed by his son. As this family owned alot of land they 'let' the estate to the Picot family, in 1194 the first Picot was Ralph who held the manor. Tendring Hundred certified before the itinerant judges at Chelmsford that he held the land. Sir William, his son, held it in 1283 at the death of his father. His son Ralph, sold the manor in 1329 to William de Tey, it was still regarded as held of the king for the payment of half a knight's fee. In 1350 Robert de Teye (his wife Ann), held it. In 1400 his son another Robert sold Picoots to a John Bohun. However, the Tey(e)s came into possession of it again. Robert died in 1426 and his son John owned the property till his death in 1440 leaving it to his son another John. He died in 1462 leaving it to his son Henry was only 7 years. Henry had a son called Thomas who inherited the manor and he died 31st Dec 1540. He was the last Tey(e) to own the manor. Thomas Tey(e)s large estates were divided among his four daughters. His land in Ardleigh went to his daughter Mary who married Sir Thomas Nevill. She died on 28th Oct 1544 leaving it to her son Thomas Nevill then only nine. Pigotts Hall was sold to William Cardinall, Esq of Great Bromley who died 7th Aug 1568 leaving it to his son William. William appears to have sold it to John Strutt of Hadleigh, Suffolk, a gent. and from there was passed to a family named Dawson. In 1777 Isaac Rogers was living at Piggotts and in the 1796 census Isaac (b.1770), yeoman and living with his wife Dorcas (b.1776) and son Isaac (b.1795). Their servants were: James Went (b.1775), John Arnold (b.1781), Charlotte Lewis (b.1775) and Mary Southgate (b.1781). In 1848 a John R Simpson was living at the manor. It later belong to the Reeve family. In 1867 John Fenn & co. auctioneers, estate agents & surveyors were at Piggotts. In 1891 John Fenn was living with his wife Gertrude Fenn (b.1863) with servants Ethel ? and Esther Mill (b.1870, Suffolk). John Fenn purchased Piggotts from the Reeve family in 1905. The house was then an old farm House with a modern red bricked front. It was later known as Ardleigh Hall. The original building burnt down in 1979 and a health and leisure club stands on it's foundation.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids