TF 137 Todds of Orkney Islands and Caroline County Virginia
The family of George Todd b 1711 was from the Orkney Islands and Morayshire. George was reported to be Deputy Sheriff in Caroline County Virginia 1737-1747.
Dr. George Tod b. 1711 (CC Order book, 1759-1763, p.48) birthplace unknown - 1790. He was Deputy Sheriff 1737-1747, served on CC Jury 1740, issued Tavern licenses 1746-1749 in Port Royal, and 1759-1781 in Villboro. He purchased 628 Acres plantation named Hickory Grove from 1738-1790, 1783-1789 paid taxes on 546 Acres "Sycamore Plantation" located St Margarets parish near Spotsylvania County border. Was physician (early records indicate began his practice 1745 and served the soldiers in the revolution. (Nov 10, 1771 "George Washington dined at Doctr Todd's and reached Federicksburg at night." John Fitzpatrick ed., The Diaries of George Washington, 1748-1799, Vol. II, 1771-1785 p. 40). April 1790 will proved (CC Minute Book 1787-91 p.246, but the actual will burned in Richmond fire).
a. Charles Tod 1735/40 - 1817 (1821 restatement of Dr. George Tod's will in chancery suit, Noel vs. Tod Fredericksburg Chancery Papers.).1766 became guardian of neighbors son, Robert Stevens. Tobacco Inspector 1773-1776. Vestry in Drysdale Parish, Church of England 1777-1780, 1780-1797 Vestry St Asaphs Parish. Ensign in Capt. Robert Ware's Co., Revolutionary War Aug 14, 1777, Capt in May 1782. Land Grants June 24, 1782: 1) 1, 486 1/2 Acres Jefferson Count KY (near Long Lick Creek), 2) 2,000 Acres Jefferson County (later Nelson County) on Blackfords Creek. In 1816, 693 1/4 Acres of 1 st parcel deeded to Hubbard Taylor.died 1817, will proved Dec 08, 1817.(CC Will Book 19, p. 382.).
Joseph Tod b. circa 1761 Caroline County, VA (recieved 2 slaves acc. to will of Charles Tod) (party in lawsuit in 1821.) Whereabouts unknown.
dau Nancy b. 1763. m. Martin
dau Clarissa b. 1765 m. Collins (note: son George T, owned Hickory Grove from 1862 until sale in 1933, bought back in 1939)
dau Elizabeth b.1767 m. Darnaby
dau. Mary b. 1769 m. Jesse
2. George Thompson Tod b. 1770-1771
dau Catherine b. 1773 m. Farish
dau Lucy b. 1775 m. Scott m. Woolfolk
Charles Tod Jr. b. 10 May 1777 Caroline County, VA
dau Charlotte b. 1780
dau Sarah Tod b. 1785 m. Noel
2. George Thompson Tod b. 1770/1 - 1859 Born at Sycamore Plantation, Caroline County, VA. He m. Mary (?) March 17981789-1794 Deputy Sergeant of Fredericksburg. 1823-1829 Deputy Sheriff Caroline County. In 1803-1805 tax records 300 Acres St. Margarets Parish, 1806, 991 Acres Reuben Sanders district (Spring Hill Plantation), 628 Acres St. Margarets Parish (Hickory Grove Plantation). In 1825 he added 280 Acres from John Woodward and 1,096 Acres from Wiliam Woodford. In 1829 he added 367 Acres from George and Thomas Farish. Became guardian of Charles Tod Jr's children upon his death in 1832. Will dated February 23, 1857, proved May 9, 1859.
dau. Mary Smith b. 1799 m. Bowie
dau Louisa b. 1801 d. 1817
dau Catharine b 1804 m. Baker
dau Ann b.1806 m Boutwell
3. William Smith Tod(d) b. 1808
dau Elizabeth b. 1811 m. L. R. Boulware
dau Margaret Smith b. 1812 m Litchfield
dau Julie Charlotte b. 1815 m. Hudgins
dau Louisa b. 1818 m. Motley
dau Martha Ellen b. 1820 m A.M. Boulware
dau Jane b. after 1821 d. young
10 Acres of 1,871 Spring Hill Plantation Acerage became "Norwood" for dau. Margaret, In 1862 35 Acres sold to HB White, 1,568 Acres transferred to John Washington in 1866. In 1867, the remaining Spring Hill Tract: 268 Acres transferred to WA Stewart and Co. (last of male "Todd" descendents to reside in VA).
3. William Smith Tod(d) (TF137) (George, Charles, George) b. 23 Septem ber 1808 Spring Hill Plantation, Caroline County, VA. He married 1) Eliza Ann Hudgens Sept 13, 1831. 2) Mrs Mary Sophia Britt Dec 14, 1856. William attended U of VA, member 2nd class in law 1826-7. (The Todd name added the second "d" with William when he was a U of VA with letters sent home, and then permanent signature in TX). Purchaesed 258 Acres on East River, Mathews County VA in 1834. 1836 purchased 47 acres on North River, and in 1837 built "Hyco". Practicing Attorney, also member of Virginia Legislature 1834-1842. 1837 Served as Capt. Mathews County Regiment of VA Militia 61st Reg. 1843 first moved to Boston, TX, then 1848 moved to Clarksville, Red River County, TX. Eliza hudgins Todd d. 26 Aug 1854 (obit: Northern Standard 26 Aug 1854, p2, col.5). By 1850 WIlliam became Judge of 8th Judicial District, in Marshall, Harrison County, TX. January 1858 he bought several lots in Jefferson. Judge Todd was a signer of he Ordinance of Succession 1861. Death: May 20 1864 Jefferson, TX.
1) Eliza Ann Hudgins:
dau Ann Valentine b. 1835 d. 1835
4. George Thomas b. 1839
dau Mary Virginia b. 1842 m. Rayfield
James Campbell b.1844 (never married)
dau Elizabeth Ellen b.1847 d. 1847
William Gordon b. 1848 d. 1849
Charles Smith b.1851 (married, no issue)
William b. 1853 d. 1853
2) Mary Sophia Ewell
dau Lucy Holcombe b. 1857 d. 1857 (NOTE: named after longtime friend of Mary Ewell: Lucy Holcombe Pickens. Lucy Pickens picture was on Confederate Currency).
dau Fanny Elizabeth b. 1859 d. 1860
William Succession Todd b. 1861 Jefferson, TX d. 1865
Henry Rhine b. 1863 (married, no male Todd descendency) (NOTE: father of author, Ann Todd Rubey, "The Todds of Caroline County Virginia and their kin". 1960).
4. George Thomas (William, George, Charles, George) b. 06 May 1839 "Hyco", Mathews County, VA. Married 1. Edwina Van Dyke 1868, 2) Marion Miller 1873. Studied at U of Va, practicing law in 1860 at TX. Participated in the War, enlisting as Private, ending Capt. from 1861-1864. During the war, the family's money all went to confederate bonds. 1866 he was elected District Attny of 8th Judicial District. From 1881-1882 he was House of 17th Legislature, 1883-1893 appointed Regent of U of TX. He died January 27, 1913, Probated January 31, 1913, #992, Jefferson TX, buried in Oakwood Cemetery. ( Obituary: Todd, Mrs. George T. 19 October 1916 Mrs. Todd Dies Suddenly At Home Mrs. George T. Todd, the widow of the late Mr. G. T. Todd, died Thursday night, October 19th, very suddenly at the family home on Polk Street. She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. J. S. Lewis and Mrs. L. E. Hough of this city and Miss Eva Todd of Marshall; two sons, Captain C. C. Todd in San Antonio, US Engineer A. Miller Todd in Vicksburg, Mississippi; a step-son, Rev. V. D. Todd in Coalinger, California and a number of grandchildren. The funeral was held Sunday morning at 10 a.m. at the family residence and she was laid to rest in the Oakwood Cemetery. Note: Marion M. MILLER Todd was born 1852. Her husband, George T. Todd preceded her in death in 1913 and one son, William H. Todd preceded in death in 1895. Marion County TX Obits-Rootsweb.com) George T Todd house is listed as historic building with marker of childrens names listed.
1) Edwina Van Dyke:
dau Virginia Rayfield b. 1869 d. 1869
Van Dyke b. 1870 (no male Todd descendency)
2) Marion Miller:
5. Alexander Miller b. 1874
Charles Carroll b. 1877 (no living descendents)
William H b. 1879 d. 1895.
dau Mary Virginia Todd b. 1881 m. Lewis
dau Eva Cary b. 1883 (never married)
dau Lula Dotson b. 1886 m. Hugh
5. Alexander Miller (George, William, George, Charles, George) b. 28 September 1874 (?) Pleasant Grove Plantation, Rankin County, MS. He became Sr. Engineer with 3rd Mississippi River Commission.Married Sue Carlton 1898 Luna Arkansas. (1910 Fed Census, Mississippi, Warren County, Vicksburg Ward , District 60: Alexander M Todd, head, 35, M, b. Mississippi, parents born Virginia, Mississippi, Sue C , Wife, 31, 3/3 children, b. Arkansas / Carlton R, son, 10, b. Mississippi / Marion E., daughter, 8, b. Mississippi /Elizabeth A, daughter, 7, b. Mississippi). A.Miller Todd and Sue Carlton Todd are both buried in Lot 11, Square 71, Div. D, Vicksburg Cemetery, Vicksburg, MS.
6. Carlton Rice b. 1899
dau Marion Emeline b. 1901 m. Rogers
dau Elizabeth b. 1903 m. Burnette
6. Carlton Rice (Alexander, George, William, George, Charles, George) b. 28 June 1899 Greenville MS. He graduated from Naval Academy in 1920. Naval service until retirement 1950 as Rear Admiral. He married Mary Josephine Thames July 25, 1925.Carlton died July 1971 Vicksburg, Warren County, MS.(1920 Fed Census, Maryland, Anne Arundel, Annapolis, Ward 6 (US Naval Academy)) Carlton death sept 02, 1971. Both Carlton and Josephine buried in Lot 9, Square 72, Div. D, Vicksburg Cemetery, Vicksburg MS.
7. James Thames (Carlton, Alexander, George, William, George, Charles, George)30 July 1926 Vicksburg, MS
8. Alexander Miller b. 1930
8. Alexander Miller (Carlton, Alexander, George, William, George, Charles, George) b. 05 October 1930 Shanghai, China , m. Mary Ann Arnold. (Obit: MANDEVILLE, La. - Mary Ann Arnold Todd died Thursday, April 13, 2006, in Mandeville, La. She was 77. Mrs. Todd was born in Vicksburg. She had a bachelor's degree from Delta State University and a master's degree in library science from Louisiana State University. She traveled extensively with her late husband, a naval officer, and lived in Morocco, California, Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi. She was involved with the Vicksburg Little Theater and other cultural organizations. She was an active supporter of local libraries, including Port Gibson's. She was a lifelong member of the Episcopal church and had close ties to Church of the Holy Trinity, Episcopal, in Vicksburg and St. James Episcopal Church in Port Gibson. She was preceded in death by her husband, Alexander Miller Todd; her parents, Julia Marie Arnold and Robert Lowry Arnold; and her in-laws, Carlton Rice Todd and Josephine Thames Todd. She is survived by her son, John Carlton Todd; her daughter, Julia Tevis Todd Hoover; her son-in-law, Robert Hoover; her daughter-in-law, Leah McFarlain Todd; four grandchildren, Todd Hoover, David Hoover, Callum Todd and Patrick Todd; her first cousin, Natalie Peeler; and other relatives and friends. Services will be at 2 p.m. Monday at St. James Episcopal Church in Port Gibson under the direction of Riles Funeral Home. )
9. John Carlton
dau Julia Tevis m. Hoover
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids