Taylor Family of Ashe Co NC, Carter Co TN, Washington Co VA, Russell Co VA
(Data from Michael Taylor)
the information below, Stephen Taylor would have been a contemporary of Nathan
Taylor, father of John Taylor 1787-1857 Pulaski Co KY, who lived in Ashe Co NC
by 1800. Stephen was in Wilkes
Stephen and his family, including married sons John L. and Charles, moved to
Carter County, TN, on Roan Creek. This is now part of
Nathan Taylor 11001-01200
Isaac Taylor 11010-31010
John Taylor 01201-01101
Samuel Taylor 00100-00101
So Nathan and John are over 45 (born prior to 1755) and contemporaries of Stephen. Nathan has 2 sons –one born 1790-1800 and one born 1784-1790 – the latter of which is probably John Taylor 1787-1857 who moved to Pulaski Co KY about 1850 and died there in 1857. John has older sons – two born 1774-1784, and 1 born 1784-1790.
In 1800, Stephen was over in Grayson Co and didn’t move back to Ashe Co until sometime after 1815.
Stephen Taylor and Sarah Roark:
Stephen Taylor was born Bef.1775 in
Children of Stephen and Sarah Roark:
1. Stephen Taylor, born in
2. Sarah Taylor, born in
3. John Lewis Taylor, born June 9, 1793 in
4.Charles Taylor, born in
5. Mary Taylor born 1802, NC. Died 1880, NC. Married Eli South,1824
6. Abigail (Abbey)
Information came from LDS
JOHN2 TAYLOR (WILLIAM1) was born Abt. 1745. He married MARY LEWIS Bet. 1655 - 1768, daughter of GIDEON LEWIS.
Notes for JOHN TAYLOR:
Tradition: Mrs Lola Myers of West Jefferson, NC was told that John Taylor was born in England about 1745, the son of William Taylor, and came to America around 1760 with either five or seven brothers. The wife of John had the given name Mary, as indicated by Grayson Co, Va Deed Book 4, Page 45.
Tradition: Mary may have been a Lewis, dau of Gideon Lewis. Some sources stated that she was a
"red-headed Irish woman". John and Mary were married between 1765 and
1768. Mary died in
It appears that their son, William, was the first born
child and likely named for his grandfather. William first appeared on the
Montgomery Co tax list with his father in 1789. Since he was not on the 1788
tax list (as his father was), he likely turned 21, the taxable age, in 1789. This
would eatablish his birth year as 1768 and imply that
his parents were married before that. John first appeared on the tax lists of
Mont. Co,Va in 1781 as a
member of Capt. Enoc Oaborn's
More About JOHN TAYLOR: 1: 1998,
Notes for MARY LEWIS: Source: Troy
Children of JOHN TAYLOR and MARY LEWIS are:
2. i. STEPHEN3
ii. WILLIAM TAYLOR, b. 1768.
iii. SIMEON TAYLOR.
iv. JOHN TAYLOR JR..
Generation No. 2
2. STEPHEN3 TAYLOR (JOHN2, WILLIAM1) He married SARAH ROARK, daughter of CHARLES ROARK and ABAGAIL.
Notes for STEPHEN TAYLOR: Source:
1. John Lewis Taylor, born 9 June 1793 in Wilkes Co, NC (the area is now Allegheny Co, NC, near Twin Oaks), and died in Washington Co, VA on 2 Sep 1837. Dates are from his tombstone in the Worley Cemetery on the south side of the North Fork Holston River Road about eight miles west of Saltville. His wife was called Polly "Fairchild".
2. Unknown Taylor, born ca 1797, probably the one living with Stephen and listed as "idiotic" when Stephen applied for assistance from the Washington Co VA Board of Overseers of the Poor. He may have died around 1843-44, as Stephen requested no further assistance after time.
3. Charles Taylor, born ca 1798 (per Russell Co, VA 1850
census) died 24 July 1858 in
4. Ann Morgan Taylor, birth and death dates unknown. Mentioned in Carter Co, TN records as daughter of Stephen Taylor (Afflicted in some manner) around 1830.
5. Phoebe Taylor, born in Grayson Co, VA in 1800, died in Washington Co, VA 4 Aug 1894 per Washington Co VA death register. She married William Eastridge, (1800 Granville Co, NC - 188_ Washington Co, VA) son of Henry and Elizabeth Floyd Phoebe and William are reported by family descendants to be buried in the extreme southwest corner of the Tumbling Creek Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery in unmarked graves. Their daughter, Abigail, is said to be buried beside them also in an unmarked grave.
6. Mary Taylor, born ca 1802 in Grayson Co, VA, died
possibly after 1887 in Watauga Co, NC (dates from Elizabeth South Storie, a descendant and South researcher of
7. Sarah Taylor, born ca 1808 in Ashe Co, NC, married Ephriam Eastridge on October 1830
in Carter CO, TN with John L. Taylor, security. Ephriam
was likely a brother of William Eastridge who married
Sarah's sister Phoebe. Ephriam was born ca 1802 in NC
and died in
8. Stephen Taylor, Jr. born ca 1809 in Ashe Co, NC, died
November 1839 in Russell Co, VA. Married Martha
"Patsy" Eastridge, born ca 1811, daughter
of Henry and Elizabeth (Floyd) Eastridge, of Ashe Co,
NC, and sister to William Eastridge. Stephen
died from pneumonia, which developed after a duck-hunting trip on the
9. Gincy Taylor, born ca 1810 in Ashe Co, NC. Married 1st in Carter Co, TN (with her brother John Taylor as security) on 20 Nov 1833 to John Smith. She later married _____Giles and in 1880, she was living with her sister-in-law, Kizziah South (Taylor) Wilson in Watauga Co, NC
10. Abigail Taylor, born ca 1811 in Ashe Co, NC married Brittain Stewart in Carter Co, TN on 31 Oct 1829 (with here brother John Taylor as security). They lived in what is now Johnson Co, TN and were parents of nine children.
11. Simeon Taylor, born ca 1818, probably in Ashe Co, NC,
died after 1850, probably in Watauga Co, NC. He married Kizziah
South, born 1 Oct 1817, a sister to Eli South. They were parents of three
children, James, born ca 1838; Sarah, born ca 1844, and Drucilla,
born CA 1849. After the death of Simeon, Kizziah
married Lemuel Wilson, a widower, by whom she had a
daughter, who later married ____ Baird. This daughter was killed near
Stephen Taylor paid taxes in
About 1824, Stephen and his family, including married
sons John L. and Charles, moved to Carter County, TN, on Roan Creek. This is
now part of
Land Entry Book A, entry number 933, …
John Taylor locates and enters 50
Note: Roan Creek is the main stream Forge Creek empties into, a short distance from the North Carolina line between Mountain City, and Trade, Tennessee. Stephen Taylor Jr. was still a teenager at the time, so Stephen Taylor Sr. had to be the locator of the above 50 acres. Stephen Jr. was married around 1826
Stephen Taylor is found on the tax list for Wilkes Co, NC
for the first time in 1793, the year of the birth of his son, John Lewis
Taylor. This part of Wilkes Co. became Ashe Co in 1799,
and later, Allegheny County, NC in 1858. By 1824, several men in the
State of TN,Carter Co, John Taylor lacates and enters as an occupent preference 50 acres of land in said county on or near the middle fork of Roans Creek including cabin built by said Taylor. 28 June, 1824 From the same source and date: Page 19: A similar entry for Charles Taylor (brother to John L. Taylor). Then Page 20: A similar entry, for Stephen Taylor (Father of John L. and Charles) Land Entry Book A, entry # 933...John Taylor claimed an additional 50 acres, adjoining " the land he now lives on ", dated Aug. 16, 1826. Source: Carter Couny Deed Book "C": March 14, 1832, John L. Taylor sold 50 acres on Forge Creek (also called Roan Creek (t.t.) ) to William Wilson-land adjoins Wilson and and is adjacent to where John L. Taylor now lives. Witnesses: William Eastridge, Stephen Taylor, Charles Taylor.
Some time between 1832 and 1837, all of the above
mentioned Taylors and William Eastridge
moved to Washington Co, VA, where John L. died in in
1837 at the age of 44. The 1830 Census for Carter Co, TN shows John Taylor to
have the following family: one male under 5, two males 5 to 10, and himself, 30
to 40 years of age. Females were: one between 5 and 10, two between 10 and 15.
The 1840 Washington Co, VA Census shows: ( next to Andrew Taylor) head of
household, Polly Taylor, age 40 to 50, one female less than 5, and one female,
5 to 10. Males: one, age 5 to 10, and two, 10 to 15 years old. The last record
found of Polly Taylor and her family, excluding Andrew, was a sale of her land
to Robert Smith in Nov 1846. Apparently, she and her unmarried children moved
Stephen Taylor seems to have died during the winter of 1849-1950, based on court order for the appraisal of his property in Washington Co, VA. Sarah wife of Stephen was living in Watauga Co, NC with her brother, Eli South.
More About STEPHEN TAYLOR: 1:
1998, Source: Troy
Notes for SARAH ROARK: Upon the death of Stephen Taylor, Sara Taylor lived with her Daughter Mary and Son-in-law, Eli South, in Watauga Co, NC. Also in the Eli South household was her son Simeon Taylor and his wife Kissiah. Simon was involved in a logging accident that killed his father Stephen. After the accident, Simeon went insane.
Sara lived out the balance of her life in a log cabin at the base of Snake Mountain, Watauga Co, NC. Sarah Roark Taylor, 75 on the 1850 census, is not found in the 1860 census, apparently having died duirng this period. Lizziah Taylor is listed as a widow on the 1860 census of Watauga Co, indicating her husband, Simeon had also died between 1850 and 1960.
Children of STEPHEN TAYLOR and SARAH ROARK are: i. ANN MORGAN4 TAYLOR.
Notes for ANN MORGAN TAYLOR: Source:
More About ANN MORGAN TAYLOR: 1: 1998, Source: Troy
ii. UNKNOWN TAYLOR, b. Abt. 1797.
Notes for UNKNOWN TAYLOR: Unknown Taylor, born ca 1797, probably the one living with Stephen and listed as "idiotic" when Stephen applied for assistance from the Washington Co VA Board of Overseers of the Poor. He may have died around 1843-44, as Stephen requested no further assistance after time.
iii. CHARLES TAYLOR, b. 1798, Prob. in Wilkes Co, NC; m. ANNA FRANCES HAM.
Notes for CHARLES TAYLOR: Source: Troy
3. iv. MARY
TAYLOR, b. Abt. 1802, Grayson Co, VA; d. 1887,
v. PHOEBE TAYLOR, b. 1800, Grayson Co, VA; d. Aug 4, 1894, Washingto Co, VA; m. WILLIAM EASTRIDGE; b. 1800, Granville Co, NC.
Notes for PHOEBE TAYLOR: Source:
More About PHOEBE TAYLOR: 1:
1998, Source: Troy
4. vi. SARAH TAYLOR, b. 1808.
5. vii. STEPHEN TAYLOR, JR, b. Abt. 1809, Ashe Co, NC; d. Nov 1939, Russell Co, VA.
viii. GINCY TAYLOR, b. 1810, Ash Co, NC; m. (1) JOHN SMITH, Nov 20, 1833, Carter Co, TN; m. (2) A. GILES, 1880.
Notes for GINCY TAYLOR: Married 1st in Carter Co, TN (with her brother John Taylor as security) on 20 Nov 1833 to John Smith. She later married _____Giles and in 1880, she was living with her sister-in-law, Kizziah South (Taylor) Wilson in Watauga Co, NC
More About GINCY
6. ix. ABAGAIL TAYLOR, b. 1811, Ashe Co, NC.
7. x. SIMEON
8. xi. JOHN
LEWIS TAYLOR, b. Jun 9, 1773,
I would like to thank Michael Taylor for letting me put this on my site.
Informaton came from Michael Taylor, if you would like more information on this line you can contact Michael: firstname.lastname@example.org