Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

ORIGIN OF McCLINTOCK/McCLINTIC FAMILY

The McClintock’s are descendants of the ancient people who occupied western Scotland before the beginning of recorded history. They are believed to be descended from the Dalridians, a branch of the Irish Celtic Tribes who established the Kingdom of Dalrida in the highland region of western Scotland. They were the true Scottish Highlanders and were descended from the early Irish Tribal Kings. King Colla da Crioch, who was banished from Ireland in 327 AD, along with 350 tribal chieftains to the Scottish Highlands was the first known Irish King to settle in the Dalridia territory. The inhabitants of Northern Ireland had crossed over the Irish sea to the northern land throughout history, but had never established a permanent settlement. About the end of the 5th century, a wave of Christian Irish Celts from Scotia, as the Romans called Ireland, established the kingdom of Dalriada on the Kintyre Peninsula which reaches down to within 12 miles of Northern Ireland. The site of this ancient kingdom is in present day Argyllshire, Scotland.( the shire part of the word Argyllshire is the Scottish equivalent of the English word county, and is the root of the word, sheriff).

THE ESTABLISHMENT OF DALRIADA

The traditional date of the migration of the Gaelic speaking Christian Irish Celts was 498 AD The leaders of the invasion were the three sons of Erc. They were Fergus, Loarn and Angus. The kingdom they established was called Dalriada(Riada’s portion) after the territory in the north-east corner of Ireland from which they came.

The kindred of Angus occupied Islay and Jura; those of Loarn occupied the district of Loarn(later spelled Lorne)named after its founder. The descendants of Fergus occupied Kintyre. The two sons of Fergus , Comgall and Gabran established the Cowal and Knapdale tribes, and the Kinelbadon tribe in Marvern. The society was a tribal system, and the land was occupied by tribes who established and maintained their own territorial boundaries. Disputes in the ownership of land was settled by combat. The only law was the law of the sword.

When the Irish Scots arrived in Scotland, the Picts, Britons and Angles were already there. The picts were a sturdy race, of unknown origin, who had dark hair, gray eyes, and high cheek bones. They were excellent warriors who were never completely conquered by the Romans who left the British Isles in AD 410. For the next 65 years all these races battled relentlessly for supremacy of this land.

THE CHRISTIAN RELIGION

The slaughter slowed in 563, when St. Columba and other Irish saints began to Christianize the pagan Picts. From his base on the Island of Iona, Columba and his monks converted the Picts, Angles and other tribes to Christianity. Columba was buried on Iona, but in 849 his remains were moved to Kells in Ireland because of attacks by Norse raiders. The Church of Scotland restored the monastery between 1899 and 1905. Iona is the burial place of 48 Scottish, four Irish and 8 Norwegian Kings. In 843, one hundred and eighty years after St. Columbia established his monastery on the island of Iona, Kenneth MacAlpin who was half Scot and half Pict( his mother was a Pict) became king of the merged kingdom of the Scots and Picts. He was the first king of Alba, the Gaelic word for present day Scotland. The Gaelic language is still spoken today in the Scottish Highlands and Islands and in parts of Ireland. This kingdom continued under the tribal system. The families in this so called old "Irish Tribal System" traced their descent from a common ancestor. There were more than one hundred Irish Tribes in Ireland and the Scottish Highlands at the beginning of the 12th Century. Each tribe was led by a tribal chieftain whose title was passed down to the oldest son in each succeeding generation. After these Irish Tribes conquered the kingdom of the Picts who ruled Scotland, they divided Scotland into seven provinces each ruled by its own king. These sub kings were all ruled by Kenneth MacAlpin the High King of Scotland or Alba.

 

SCOTTISH HIGHLAND CLANS

The Scottish Clans as we know them today, developed in the reign of King David I (1124-1153), who brought the feudal system to Scotland. David had been brought up in England and admired the efficient English government. Western Scotland, ruled by the Irish Tribes was a wild and savage land. David began a policy of reorganizing the tribes who were loyal to the Crown by granting charters of land to these tribes, which were often joined by smaller tribes , called Septs, to form a large group called a clan. Clan is a Gaelic word that means children, and denotes a small tribe or nation descended from a common ancestor, at least in theory. The chief of the clan is representative of the ancestor that is common to all members of the clan. The tie of blood was always insisted upon for the clan chief. He held the charter for the land from the King that the Clan occupied; was its leader in war and responsible for its welfare and conduct in times of peace. Legally he held the right from the King to administer justice, which included the power of life and death. The phrase used for this power was the right of " Pit and Gallows" Criminals convicted of capital crimes were hung on the gallows or beheaded in the pit. The chief’s jurisdiction was only over his own tenants who were free to move to other territories, so the gallows and pit was not frequently used. No tenant would stay on land ruled by a chief who abused his power.

Under the feudal system all the land belonged to the king who gave his barons (landholders) title and legal jurisdiction over the land in the barony in return for the promise of military service and support in times of war.

The clans passed this jurisdiction from one generation to another by inheritance from father to child. The oldest son was the heir to his father’s lands and rights. Sometimes, the oldest daughter became the heiress to her father’s estates if there were no sons in the clan chief’s family. This rule was known as the rule of primogeniture. This right of hereditary jurisdiction was taken away after the Jacobite Rising of 1745. The Jacobites were the supporters of the Catholic King, James Stuart ll, who tried to gain the British Throne by a number of unsuccessful rebellions. They were called Jacobites because the Latin name for James was Jacobus. In 1745 the Highlanders rose up in support of Charles Stuart, James Stuart’s son, whom they called "Bonnie Prince Charlie". They overwhelmed the English troops in Scotland and marched into England. The Highlanders supported "Bonnie Prince Charlie" because the Stuart family had been very tolerant of their religious beliefs and civil rights.

THE BATTLE OF CULLODEN

In 1746, at the bloody battle of Culloden Moor, the English armies defeated the Highlanders. Prince Charles escaped into the wild highlands and finally to France. The English executed many of the Clan Chiefs and forbade all Highlanders to carry arms, wear their kilts or play the bagpipe, which the clans used as an instrument of war to direct their battle tactics. The ultimate penalty for repeated offenses was death. The setts or pattern of the kilts were burned as each tartan was a territorial mark. It was not until thirty-six years later in 1782 that these restrictions were lifted. Some Clan Tartans woven today have both a modern and ancient pattern. The ancient tartans are from the old setts with yarn colored with local herbs. The modern tartans are woven from patterns and chemical dyes developed after the ban was lifted. The ancient tartans are usually lighter in color as the plant dyes were not as strong as the chemical dyes. Many greens, blues and blacks were used in the ancient colors as the plants used to make the dyes to produce these colors were more plentiful.

After 1745, the chief who had been the leader and father of his people became their landlord. His clansmen ceased to be warriors and became peasants. The English dismantled the Clan System as part of their policy to prevent further rebellions. The Clan Chiefs, now militarily impotent, began to concentrate on making an economic living from their lands and evicted large sectors of the population to make room for the more profitable industry of sheep farming. This event was called the Highland Clearances of the 18th and 19th centuries. The clan system was pretty much obsolete after 1745. The clans were tribes living in their own territories, growing and making what they needed, and raiding each other for fun and profit. Clansmen didn’t need money or jobs or anything but the bare essentials. As the country became over populated and new generations left the highlands they began to realize that there were easier ways of life with greater comforts and amenities. But, these ways were based on money and to get it the clansmen had to leave the lochs and glens.

CLAN SEPTS

The Highland Clans were made up of many families with surnames different than the surname used by the clan chief. These septs (a clan or family whose members are related by blood that is part of larger clan) were led by a chieftain of the sept surname. The two ways a sept became part of a clan was by the tie of blood and by the place of the septs dwelling. The blood relationship was through the female line. The clan chief’s mother, wife, or other female relative was a blood relative of the sept family. Each clan had its share of members or "broken men"of different surnames, who sought the protection of the Clan Chief for one reason or another. The clan system fostered very strong bonds of loyalty and devotion between fellow clansmen regardless of their rank or class. The very nature of this loyalty resulted in long standing and bloody feuds between rival clans. Sometimes smaller clans sought the protection of their more powerful neighbors by the system known as "Manrent" .

The McClintocks were never officially recognized by the Lord Lyon of Scotland as an established clan. Many of the ancient Irish tribes were not recognized by the Scottish government due to their resentment of the Scottish Kings whom they considered lowlanders. These highlanders called the King "Sassnach" which is a gaelic word for lowlander. The lowland Scots considered the highlanders to be uncivilized gaelic speaking savages.

SEAT OF THE McCLINTOCK FAMILY

The earliest seat of the McClintock family seems to have been on Loch Awe in the ancient district of Lorne. Early records indicate they held estates which included a manor house near Loch Awe in present day Argyle County. A branch of the family also held territory directly west of Loch Lomond, in the parish of Old or West Kilpatrick that was known as the Lands of Luss. The Luss territories were held by royal charter after the feudal system was established, by the Earls of Lennox who took their surname Luss from the name of their lands. The Luss family had held this land by the " right of the sword " long before recorded history, and after feudalism, by Royal Charter from King Alexander II, at the beginning of the thirteenth century as the Earls of Lennox. The title earl was accorded to relatives of the King or to those who were heirs of former local Kings. It was the highest rank in early Scotland . There were only thirteen earldoms altogether in this country.

The McClintocks became septs of the Clan Colquhoun during the reign of King David Bruce (1329-1370), the son of Robert Bruce. In the year 1368, Sir Robert Colquhoun (pronounced Cohoon) married the " Fair Maid of Luss" , the heiress and oldest daughter of Godfrey de Luss, Earl of Lennox and chief of the ancient Luss family, and acquired the land that was her inheritance. It was an old Scots custom to call an heiress the maid of her inheritance, hence the term the "Fair Maid of Luss".

Godfrey de Luss was the sixth descendant, in a direct male line from Maelduin of Lennox who had received the Luss lands from Alwyn the second Earl of Lennox who had received the charter signed by King Alexander II. The Earls of Lennox had held this land for more than seven hundred years prior to 1368. They were a sacred family, Celtic priests and hereditary guardians of the cozier of St. Kessog; the martyr who lived in Glen Luss or on Inchtavannach, the monk’s isle, in Loch Lomond. It is possible that they were also related to the saint himself, as was often the case with hereditary guardians of saintly relics in the old Celtic Church.

The place name "Luss", given to the lands, is derived from a word meaning the bounds of a sanctuary. King Robert Bruce confirmed by royal charter that all the ground within a "girth" of three miles around the church of Luss ( which still stands today) was a holy place of refuge.

The McClintocks, most probably were related to the Luss family, and had also lived on these lands for centuries. When the " Fair Maid of Luss" married the Colquhoun Chief in 1368 her tenants became septs of the Clan Colquhoun.

In Scotland, as elsewhere feudalism was imposed by the Crown. The land was now held under contract with the king instead of by tribal custom. The maximum degree of security in the ownership of the land was given by Royal Charter as the King now owned the land. Even after the rise of the feudal system, many inter-clan battles were fought over land. Disputes over territorial boundaries were settled by combat. Some large Clans were even powerful enough to defy the Kings army. The feudal system was never completely enforced in the Scottish Highlands, as the terrain and weather made pure military enforcement impossible. Clans such as the McGregors refused to acknowledge the sheep skin charters of the King. The law of the sword was the only law recognized here until the 18th century.

The feudal rule of primogeniture permitted succession through an heiress as well as an heir to the ownership of land. The" Fair Maid of Luss" passed her lands to the Clan Colquhoun by her marriage to the clan chief who became known thereafter as "Colquhoun of Luss."

THE ORIGIN OF THE McCLINTOCK SURNAME

The surname McClintock is the English conversion of the gaelic name" Mac Giolla Fhionntog " which means the son of the Ghillie of Saint Finnian. Finnian is also spelled as Fintoc, which means fair-haired. The gaelic word ghillie, means in English, a male attendant or follower which in Irish and Scots gaelic and present day English is usually used to describe gamekeepers. The ghillies were the guides of the hunting and fishing parties who hunted game on the estates of their clan chief. The ghillies also took care of the game, and hunting dogs, which were usually deer hounds. They also protected the game from poachers. The ghillie suits worn by the U. S.Military are camouflage suits adapted from suits worn by these ancient gamekeepers to let them move through the estates unseen from the animals as well as the poachers. The gaelic word "Mac" means the son of. The literal translation of the name is the son of the servant of Saint Finnian. It is possible that the sons of the man who was a follower of Saint Finnian, either in a religious sense or actual capacity as a gamekeeper or other servant were the first to be called by the name, Mac Giolla Fhionntog. As there are no written records to establish the people who served Saint Finnian. It will never be known whether the original progenitor of the McClintocks lived during the same time as the Saint himself or was identified with him because he was a religious figure. The Celtic name Gilchrist (Ghillie of Christ) is the follower or servant of Christ. The first person to assume this celtic name would not have lived in the same time as Christ, but may have followed Christian teachings . The use of religious figures in surnames was common in early Ireland and Scotland when the use of surnames became necessary.

SAINT FINNIAN

Saint Finnian, according to legend, was born at Myshall, Carlow, Ireland, about 470. He spent several years in Wales at monasteries under Saint Cadoc who died in 575 and Saint Gildas, c. 500 - c. 570, of whom he was a disciple. He became a monk in Wales, returned to Ireland and founded several monasteries.The most noted one was at Clonard in the Ancient province of Royal Meath, now County Meath, which became a great center for learning, especially for study of the Bible.

At Clonard a novice could learn to read and write Latin, using a stylus on a wax tablet. In this manner the Irish for the first time had an alphabet. Before this, the only written records in Ireland were written in the Ogam script, a clumsy code of long and short lines cut across the edges of stone slabs, mainly for funeral inscriptions. Ogam was limited it was otherwise useless. Finnian was called a bishop in Ireland, although it is doubtful that he was ever consecrated. He is referred to as the "Teacher of Irish Saints".

Nearly all the monastic founders in sixth century Ireland belonged to the aristocratic class of society. The monastery was an estate with a religious purpose, a self supporting farm, a kind of village. Finnian’s school at Clonard emphasized study and scholarship to a group of followers known as the Twelve Apostles of Ireland. Two of these apostles were St.Ciaran and St.Columba (also known as St. Clomille) who was to bring Christianity to Scotland from his monastery on the Isle of Iona. Columba founded his monastery at Iona in 563 and labored here for thirty years as an evangelist of the Celtic Catholic Church. Saint Finnian died of the yellow plague which swept Ireland in 549. His feastday is celebrated on December 12.

Near the resort of Waterville in County Kerry, Ireland, lies the beautiful lake known as Lough Currane. Church Island, in the northern end of this lake contains the ruins of the Oratory of St. Finnian, dating from the sixth century.

Monasticism and scholarship were the hallmarks of the Irish Catholic Church. The Irish monks developed a written Irish language,and exquisite illuminated manuscripts, the most famous is the Book of Kells, which is now on display at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland. The seafaring Vikings plundered the monasteries through out the ninth and tenth centuries. Not until 1014, at the Battle of Clontarf did the Irish, let by their High King Brian Boru, break the power of the Vikings.

THE AGE OF THE McCLINTOCK SURNAME

No one knows when the present McClintock surname was first spoken or written. It is as old as the fifteenth century as it appeared in the Dean of Lismore’s book described later. As the name was a gaelic surname its English equivalent "Lindsay" was used when writing or speaking English as early as 1611 according to George Black’s book "The Surnames of Scotland". This practice was discontinued sometime before the sixteenth century and Lindsay was converted to McClintock as the English equivalent of the old gaelic surname. The use of Lindsay had the effect of making the McClintock name less common than it would have been. The Lindsays occupied another part of Scotland and there is no reason to believe that there is any blood connection between them and the McClintocks. Professor Black’s (he was a professor at New York University) book contains the following poem by Ailean Dall to the Lochaber Volunteers in 1795 referring to a warrior from Glenara in Scotland written in Gaelic:

"Clamar theid na h-uaislean cruinn

Gun Lindsay ‘bhith san airmh

Ga’n ainm Cailean MacIlliuntaig

Le thionndadh an Gaidhlig"

This is the English translation: How will the warrior chieftains gather, without Lindsay to be in their number? By whom was known in Gaelic as Colin MacClintock.

The McClintock name occurs in a variety of English forms in the 16th and 17th centuries. It appears in the Church records of Kenmore, Aberfeldy, Scotland as M’Ilandick, M’Illandag, M’Illandick, M’Lentick, in 1757. Duncan McGellentak was a witness in Balquhidder in 1549. John Macilluntud was a priest of the diocese of Whiteherne.in 1394. William McClintoun was a messenger in Kyle in 1569, and Finlay MacKlintoun appears in the parish of Torphichen in 1676. The last of the Breadalbane smugglers was James Meillandaig. MaClinton is a variant of McClintock and can be found in the current telephone directory of Northern Ireland along with McClintock. These are the only spellings listed in Northern Ireland today, 1998.

Until the seventeenth century the majority of Scots used a patronymic ( son of) as a by name for all members of a family who claimed descent from a common ancestor when they felt the need of a surname. Many people had no surname at all in ancient Scotland. A person was usually know as Red Hector, or as Hector, son of John, son of Ewen. As the population grew surnames were used to identify members of the same family. This name was often a patronymic, which led to the patronymic type of surname (son of) becoming widely used among the Scots and Irish who were the descendants of the gaelic speaking Celts. The present day English equivalents of these old gaelic surnames begin with Mac,or Mc to continue the patronymic type of name.

The McClintock surname was first written in Gaelic, the language of the Celts. The Celtic language was dominant in Europe from about 2,000 BC until 500 BC, which makes it one of the oldest written languages. The Greeks described these people who lived north of the Alps Mountains as afraid of nothing but the sky falling. They had a keen interest in learning and were a people of great ability. They were always ready for battle , but were no match for the Roman Legions of Julius Caeser’s army, who were highly controlled and organized. The Celts were divided into three main tribes as can be found from reading "Julius Ceaser’s Galeic Wars". This loose divison into tribes with no central authority led to their downfall. The Celts did manage to burn and sack Rome during the war but were finally defeated by the Romans. After their defeat in Europe many of the Celts retreated to Brittany in France,and Galecia in Northwest Spain.

A large number of them went to the end of the known world which was the emerald green lsland of Ireland and the British Isles. During the four centuries of Roman occupation of Great Britain tribes know as the Picts, though to be relatives of the Celts, harrassed the Romans with terrorist raids from the Scottish Highlands. The Celts were one of the first people to use terrorist raids in warfare. The Roman Emperor Hadrian built a great wall to keep them from raiding his armies. Remnants of this wall can still be seen today. Gaelic was written long before the English Language was commonly used(about the 10th century). Latin and Gaelic was the language of the British people before English , the language of the Angles, was adopted. The earliest written record of the McClintock surname is in the "Book of the Dean of Lismore" written in Gaelic and compiled by James and Duncan MacGregor. James MacGregor was the Dean of Lismore. Dean was a title for a head over ten monks in a monastery. James MacGregor labored at the Monastery of Lismore in Scotland for many years. He was born about 1480 and died in 1551. He was also the Vicar of Fortingall. Fortingall was the parish of the church and the vicar is a priest who receives a salary from the church instead of the tithes of a parish.

THE BOOK OF THE DEAN OF LISMORE

In the "Book of the Dean of Lismore"the author of a poem of praise to Malcolm MacGregor, 4th chief of the Clan MacGregor, who died April 20, 1440, is Mac Giolla Fhionntog, the Man of Songs. This is the translation into English of this poem: " The hunting of Scotland, without leave,belongs with its spoil to Malcolm. Many in his halls are found together, men who carry well-sharpened swords, red gold glittering on their hilts. Harmonious music among harps, men with dice-boxes in their bands, men who leave the game of tables to go and lead forth the hounds. No hand like his amidst the fight, he tis that ever victory won. Liberal he ever was to bards." The bards were the poets in the early days of Scotland who recorded historical events, usually in poem and song. Each clan had its own bard. Mac Giolla Fhionntog, (McClintock in English) was apparently, a clan bard or Man of Songs, as he called himself. He may have even been the Clan Bard of the Clan MacGregor, as the MacGregors were a major clan during this time in history. They claimed land in the District of Lorne north of Loch Awe which was near the territory occupied by the McClintocks.

THE BATTLE OF GLEN FRUIN

On February 7, 1603, one of the most savage interclan battles occurred in Scotland at Glen Furin near Loch Lomond. The Clan MacGregor and Clan Colquhoun fought a desperate battle which resulted in the defeat of the Colquhouns and the outlawing of the unfortunate MacGregors. Sir William Fraser in his history of the Clan Colquhoun entitled "The Chiefs of Colquhoun and their Country" notes that among the slain at the Battle of Glen Furin was John Dhu MacGregor also known as" Black John of the Mail" from the black chain mail he wore in battle. John, the brother of the Chief of the MacGregors, Allaster MacGregor, was killed by an arrow aimed by a young man named Maclintock who succeeded in shooting through the neck joint of his chain mail. This incident is also recorded in the "History of the Clan Gregor" page 332.

The bard of the Clan Colquhoun noted this event in gaelic which is literally translated as:" Quickly did you turn, Stripling MacLintock, by you was slain, John of the Mail, MacGregor’s victorious son."

Devastation and spoliation of the battle was vast. 140 Colquhouns, including women and children were slaughtered, large numbers of horses, cattle ,sheep and goats were carried off and the houses of the tenantry burned to the ground. On April 3, 1603, two days before he left Scotland for England to take possession of the English throne, King James VI visted Dumbarton, which was near Glen Fruin, to meet Alexander Colquhoun, the clan chief, and ninety widows of the Colquhouns. He expressed great sympathy for them and took instant and severe measures against the unfortunate MacGregors. He decreed that the dreaded name of MacGregor was proscribed from this time forward. All MacGregors will henceforth assume other names upon the penalty of death. No person shall use the name of MacGregor in the realms of Scotland. A price was put upon the heads of 70-80 of the MacGregors by name and their confederates from other clans. All who took part in the battle, now know as the" Slaughter of Lennox" were prohibited from carrying any weapon other than a knife to eat their meat. Between May 20, 1603 and March 4, 1604 thirty five of the clan were taken prisoner and executed after trial. Among them was Allaster MacGregor the chief of the clan.

This battle occurred because the MacGregors were an outlaw clan, who were in constant conflict with their neighbors and the King. They committed violent acts of murder and thievery upon the more prosperous low country, especially around Dumbartonshire, the territory of the Colquhouns. They constantly raided their neighbors and stole their cattle, horses and other property, murdered the tenant farmers and burned their houses. The Clan Colquhoun supported the Scottish Crown and had taken part in the" Letters of Fire and Sword" issued by the crown against the MacGregors some years earlier. This added fuel to the feud between the two clans. The "Letters of Fire and Sword" was a proclamation of the King because of the violent and criminal acts committed by the MacGregors upon other clans. As the King’s sheriffs and military were unable to protect the law abiding clans from ravages by the MacGregors. The "Letters of Fire and Sword" permitted other clans to aid the King in punishment of the MacGregors for their criminal acts by putting them to the sword and burning their dwellings without fear of punishment by the Crown.

Conflict between the two clans had existed for years prior to 1603, because the Colquhouns had taken part in carrying out this commission from the King. Atrocities were committed on both sides as the MacGregors would raid the Colquhouns and the injured clan would retaliate. In December 1602 the MacGregors made a regular raid on the Colquhoun lands at Glen Finlas and carried off a number of sheep and cattle and slew several of the tenants. Alexander Colquhoun, who had complained to the Privy Council against the Earl of Argyle for not repressing the MacGregors went to Stirling Castle to appear before his majesty James VI, accompanied by a number of female relatives of his clansmen who had been killed or wounded at Glen Finlas, each one riding a white horse and carrying a bloody shirt of her relative, to implore the king to avenge the wrongs done them by the McGregors. It is suspected that some of the blood was sheep’s blood as well as human blood. This ruse had a profound effect upon the King who was known to be very sensitive to the sight of blood and descriptions of a bloody battle scene.

The King immediately granted a commission of lieutenancy to Alexander Colquhoun, granting him power to hunt down and apprehend the McGregors and repress similar crimes. This commission from the King infuriated the McGregors, who arose in a lawless rage to defy the Colquhouns with the attack at Glen Fruin as the ultimate consequence.

The Colquhoun family or" Clan Colquhoun " has the distinction of claiming the oldest unbroken inherited lairdship in Scotland. The family has held their property for 840 years. The other clan territories around Loch Lomond have all been purchased by other landowners.

Sir Ivar Colquhoun is the 31st owner of the original family lands and the 33rd of the Lands of Luss. He continues to maintain his home at Camstradden near the Georgian Mansion, Rossdhu,on the land of his ancestors. Rossduh mean "Black Headland" in Gaelic. It is located on a wooded peninsula surrounded on three sides by Lock Lomond and has been the ancestral home of the Chiefs of Clan Colquhoun since it was built in 1772 by Sir James Colquhoun 23rd of Colquhoun and 22nd of Luss.

Compiled by J. W. McClintic

Some history was taken from Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland (1958) and Burke's Irish Family Records.

 

 


African American McClintocks }{ Big House }{ Biographies }{ Boyne Valley, Ireland }{ Census Project (USA)}{ Census Project ( McClintock) }{ 1831 Ireland Census }{ Coat of Arms } {Commonwealth Soldiers }{ Contact me-Email Me { Descendant Reports }{ Graphics }{Graves at Seskinore, Ireland }{ Griffith's Valuation }{Illinois Soldiers }{ Index Home  { {Ireland Births }{Laurel Messenger Article }{ Marriages A to C }{  Marriages D to F }{ Marriages G to I }{ Marriages J to L}{ {Marriages M to O }{ Marriages P to R }{ Marriages S to U }{ Marriages V to Z }{  Ontario, Canada Burials }{ Origin of { McClintock Name }{  McClintock Primary School, Ireland }{   Seskinore Chapel of Ease, Ireland }{  Seskinore House }{ {Seskinore House 1934 }{ Seskinore Hunt }{ Seskinore Village Today }{ Surname McClintock in Ireland }{ Tablecloth }{ Tartan }{ Tyrone }{  McClintock Websites } {Will of Samuel McClintock 1806 }

McClintock Social Security Death Index Files
A B C D E F G H I-J K-L M N-O P-Q R S-T V-W Y-Z