Sand Springs Reunion Information:
A Sand Springs Reunion is held every year on the 4th Sunday in July. The
around 11 am and they try to eat shortly
after 12 noon. In the afternoon there is an old fashioned singing
starting about 2pm.
It usually last about 2 hours. The work
day to clean the yard and cemetery is Tuesday afternoon before the 4th
Sunday around 5pm.
Bring your weed eater and enjoy!
On the following pages
you will find information concerning the Sand Springs Baptist Church and
Cemetery of Floyd Co., GA. It is located between Rock Mountain and Lavendar
Mountain in the Texas Valley Community at 342004N Lat., and 0851711W Long.
I have completed adding
the photos for this cemetery, with the most recent additions being in 2010.
The following is taken
from the "Cordle Family History" book, by Jack L. Cordle, Elva Boggs Cordle,
Avanelle Harris Weaver, and Gloria Cordle Wright, page 4.
am the great niece of Elva Boggs Cordle.)
NOTES ON SAND SPRING'S
Copied from original
The following ministers C. E. Wright, & D. C. Espy -
January 12, 1883
by invitation met
with brethren and sisters at Weathers School House for the purpose of organising
Deacons J. S. Espy, C. D. Murdock -
& Brethren Virgal
McKenney & Wm. McKenney were invited to become members of the Presbytery.
Presbytery organised by electing D. C. Espy, Mod., J. S. Espy, Clerk.
Sermon preached by C. E. Wright -
On motion, Presbytery approved of the Church being organised. When the
following persons presented letters
which were read and approved
Michel E. Cooper
Wm. R. Cooper
Cyrenious R. Caudel
A. A. Hicks
L. M. Caudel
On motion adopted covanant -
hand of Fellowship to the church.
On motion Presbytery adjourned.
On motion the Church invited D. T. Espy to set as Mod. -
J. S. Espy, Sec.
Wm. Caudel, Clerk
Adopted the Articles of Faith and Gospel order of Oostanaulla Association.
Adopted the name of Sand Spring for the Church.
Elected Wm. Caudel, Church Clerk -
Elected C. R. Caudel and Joseph Hix Deacons. Both excepted for ordination.
On motion unamously
elected Eld. J. M. Henderson for Pastor.
Appointed Bro. C. R. Caudel a committee to see bro. Henderson and report
to the Church if he will serve as Pastor.
On motion agreed to meet on Sat. before the Second Sabath and on Sabath
in next month at a house near Bro. Coopers. - On motion adjourned.
Espy, Mod. P.T.
(end of notes, page 4,
from the "Cordle Family History".)
Wm. Caudel, C.C.
The church stopped
having regular services in 1929 because the boll weevil destroyed the cotton
crops on the surrounding farms, and many of the families moved away. In
1974 an arsonist burned down the little church. It was rebuilt in time
for the Sand Springs Homecoming in July of 1974. This homecoming has been
held for many years and continues into the present.
Here are links to more
information concerning the church and its members.