Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

MAURY COUNTY TENNESSEE, McCAIN'S SCHOOL founded 1855

McCain's School was located about 8 miles south of Columbia on what is now Highway 31 S. in the historic McCain Community. The school was across Highway 31  from the Covey Hollow Road. in a separate building by the McCain Store. At one time the School had all grades but was reduced to lower grade level after the public school system was established in the early 1900s and Mynders School was built down the road toward Bigbyville. The School closed sometime around 1920. Students had easy access to Mynders School a half mile away. The original school was founded in 1855(8) and was held in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church Building for many years. According to "Century Review of Maury County" the school at one time had a pupil size of 60 and was in the charge of Prof A. J. Hibbett who graduated at the Cumberland University in 1869. Adelia Matthews was known to be a teacher at one time and Mrs. Walker the Music Teacher.

On Page 188 of Jill Garrett's Vol.1 ,2nd Edition of "Hither & Yon" She States in Paragraph 1-6:
"Part of the charm of Maury County is that no matter where you go in the county there are places of historical interest and most people zip on through McCain's six miles south of Columbia on Highway 31, and never realize that this small village has its history and points of interest.
  The name came from Hugh and Sarah McCain, who settled here about 1810, and are buried in the churchyard on the hillside overlooking the highway. They still have descendents in the county.
  High quality education was once the standard at McCain's beginning with the establishment of McCain's Academy in 1855. The school was officially chartered in 1858 and at its peak had from 100 to 112 boys enrolled. It served an area nine miles in all directions and A. M. Burney was an early principal with James B. Murphy as his assistant.
  When the Civil War came along, many of the teachers, older students, and trustees went to war. One source says the academy was destroyed during the war and never rebuilt.
  McCain Academy was re-established in 1894 on a site within two hundred yards  of the original school and opened with 53 pupils. Robert Lee Harris, who died in 1939, conducted the school, and he was well known for the high academic principles he set for education. It is said that some of his students were able to enter Cumberland University as juniors after graduation from McCain Academy. (Mr. Harris served as City Superintendent of Schools in Columbia from 1909 to 1937.)
  This school was absorbed by the county system and later abandoned when Mynders School was built. Donald Davidson, noted writer once taught at McCain."  A copy of Jill Garrett's Hither & Yon" & "Centaury Review of Maury County" mentioned above can be found in the Maury County Archives or purchased from the Maury County Historical Society web site. The Link is shown below. [WA 8/5/2002] 

McCain's School Musical 1913 Program

New McCain's Academy-Announcing school year 1894 

McCain's School Group Photo about 1900

History of the McCain's C. P. Church circa 1810 as portrayed by the Maury County Historical Society

*RETURN TO MAURY COUNTY SCHOOL RECORDS*