MAURY COUNTY TENNESSEE, LANTON SCHOOL HISTORY
Lanton Freedmen's School, Operated beginnning sometime after the Civil War ended in 1865. This picture shows the log building reassembled at Rippavilla Historical visitors site.
There was a Freedmen’s school which operated in the Lanton/Green’s Mill community immediately after the Civil War. It was located on what was then the John B. Bunch farm. The house on the Bunch farm was also referred to as Grange Mansion. The farm became the R. M. Green farm in 1902, and then passed to E. A. Green after the death of Mrs. R. M. Green in 1950. The farm stayed in the Green family until 1981 when it was purchased by Ron Shuff. During Ron Shuff’s ownership, the log structure which served as the Freedmen’s school was donated to the Rippavilla Plantation Historical site and the structure was disassembled and moved on the grounds of Rippavilla where it now stands and can be visited.
The above picture & information was donated 1 Sep 2010 by R. H. Jackson of Tullahoma Tennessee. Any questions or comments may be directed to R. H. Jackson at: firstname.lastname@example.org
*RETURN TO LANTON SCHOOL RECORDS MENU*