MAURY COUNTY TENNESSEE, LANTON SCHOOL HISTORY

The Lanton School

The school at Lanton started in the early 1890s.  The first teacher at the school was Alberta Loftin, who was followed by Dora Lee, O. F. Williams, Kate Scott, Annie Voorhies, James M. Derryberry (1904), and M. A. Green.  According to Reference 1, Macon A. Green (son of Lucratus Green) started teaching at Lanton about 1905.  Macon A. Green was a graduate from McDowell’s, of Columbia, and had taken a course at Potter Bible College in Bowling Green, Kentucky.  A school picture shows that Jessie Overton was the teacher about 1912.  Maude Logan Green, wife of Alexander Campbell Green, was the teacher in the 1919 – 1920 school year.  Mr. Willie Locke also taught at the school, probably in the early 1920s, but the exact year is unknown.

All of R. M. Green’s children (my mother, Louise Green Jackson, and her three siblings) attended the Lanton school.   Mother started school about 1911 and attended it for as many grades as it offered at the time (probably eight).  Mother then went to Spring Hill School and completed grades through the 10th.  The picture on page 26 shows the Lanton school class in about 1912.  All of the Greens in the picture (5) and all of the Prices in the picture (5) are descendants of Lucratus Green.

The school continued operation until the spring of 1936.  After that, most of the children in the Green’s Mill community went to Spring Hill to school where a new building had just been completed. 

The teachers for the last four years of operation of the Lanton School, each teaching just one year, were Ethel Odil Richardson, Katherine Thompson Dysart, Graham Lovell, and Charlotte Harris Adams.

The school building still stands in Green’s Mill, but it has been significantly modified for use as a residence.

       The school at Lanton started in the early 1890s.  The first teacher at the school was Alberta Loftin, who was followed by Dora Lee, O. F. Williams, Kate Scott, Annie Voorhies, James M. Derryberry (1904), and M. A. Green.  According to Reference 1, Macon A. Green (son of Lucratus Green) started teaching at Lanton about 1905.  Macon A. Green was a graduate from McDowell’s, of Columbia, and had taken a course at Potter Bible College in Bowling Green, Kentucky.  A school picture shows that Jessie Overton was the teacher about 1912.  Maude Logan Green, wife of Alexander Campbell Green, was the teacher in the 1919 – 1920 school year.  Mr. Willie Locke also taught at the school, probably in the early 1920s, but the exact year is unknown.

All of R. M. Green’s children (my mother, Louise Green Jackson, and her three siblings) attended the Lanton school.   Mother started school about 1911 and attended it for as many grades as it offered at the time (probably eight).  Mother then went to Spring Hill School and completed grades through the 10th.  The picture on page 26 shows the Lanton school class in about 1912.  All of the Greens in the picture (5) and all of the Prices in the picture (5) are descendants of Lucratus Green.

The school continued operation until the spring of 1936.  After that, most of the children in the Green’s Mill community went to Spring Hill to school where a new building had just been completed. 

The teachers for the last four years of operation of the Lanton School, each teaching just one year, were Ethel Odil Richardson, Katherine Thompson Dysart, Graham Lovell, and Charlotte Harris Adams.

The school building still stands in Green’s Mill, but it has been significantly modified for use as a residence.

The above picture & information was donated R. H. Jackson of Tullahoma Tennessee. We were not told the photo date. Also contributing information to R. H. Jackson is Garland Glenn who lives (2002) in the Green's Mill community and attended the Lanton School its last four years of operation. R. H. Jackson's historical account of Green's Mill Community can be accessed  on the Green's Mill Menu.

RETURN TO LANTON SCHOOL RECORDS MENU

Search billions of records on Ancestry.com