TO THE COUNTY SEAT LOCATION & FOUNDERS MOORESVILLE PIKE-MAURY COUNTY TENNESSEE
This memorial to the Maury County founding fathers is located about 1.3 miles south down Mooresville Pike out of Columbia, Tennessee.
North side: The first county seat of Maury County was created by an Act of the General Assembly of Tennessee
Nov. 16, 1807; organized Dec. 21, 1807 in the log home of Joseph Brown about 400 yards west of
this point. The county seat was moved to Columbia Dec 21, 1808. This marker erected by Maury County and the Junior Order of Mechanics.
South side: First Justices of the Peace for Maury County appointed by Governor John Sevier Dec. 4, 1807:
John Dickey, William Frierson, John Spencer, John Lindsey, Joshua Williams, John Miller, James Love, William Dooley, Lemuel Prewett, William Gilchrist and Isaac Roberts elected Chairman. Commissioners Joshua Williams, William Frierson, Isaac Roberts, John Lindsey and Joseph Brown located the county seat at Columbia.
Photo & Information transcribed by Wayne Austin 8/22/2004.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids