JOHNS CEMETERY, MAURY COUNTY, TENNESSEE
OTEY, James Harvey, 27 Jan 1800 - 23 Apr 1863. "First Bishop of the Holy Catholic Church in Tennessee)
Photo of drawing by Jamie.
Bishop Otey was a major player of Ashwood School for Girls Founded in 1847 and was built by the Episcopal Diocese. It was located on the southside of the Columbia to Mt Pleasant Turnpike at the foot of a round hill. It is nearly opposite the Hamilton Place, which was the residence of Lucius J. Polk. The faculty was headed by the Rt. Rev. James H. Otey. The Rev. E. H. Creasy, then rectory of the St. John's Church was principal. The school building burned about 1850. The rectory was built on the north side of the turnpike, a few yards west of the church at the corner of Mt. Pleasant Turnpike and Ashwood Road. Submitted by: Wayne Austin.