WELL CEMETERY, Natchez Trace, HICKMAN COUNTY, TENNESSEE
The Cemetery memorial monument shown in the center of the photo.
Old Well Cemetery Monument, Hickman Co., Tn.
Old Well Cemetery - History
The Old Well Cemetery is located in Hickman County at the intersection of Natchez Trace and the road to Center Star from Kettle Mills.
This land was donated by Richard "Kettle Dick" Anderson from a 2000 acre land grant he settled in 1810. Known as "The Kettle", named after a whirlpool on the Duck River, it was good river bottom farmland with some hillside to either side of the valley. Richard "Kettle Dick" was quite wealthy as seen by his will. Named "Old Well" for well at NW corner of cemetery dug by Andrew Jackson's army returning from the battle of New Orleans. Early settlers used the well as they traveled Natchez Trace.
Richard "Kettle Dick"
Anderson first married Margaret Craig daughter of Henry and Mary Erwin Craig. At
her death, he then married Sarah Cutbirth. She was a great niece of Daniel Boone
and Daniel Cutbirth, Senator.
Plaque inscribed with names of those who donated to purchase monument:
Phyllis Akers, Jim & Iris Anderson,
Bill & Lucille Baker, Carl & Alberta Baker
Joe & Linda Bell, Virgie & Deborah Bell, William & Elizabeth Blackstone, Billy & Carolyn Farris, Clyde & Sarah Farris, Larry Farris, Richard & Rhonda Farris, C.L. & Betty Gentry, Fred & Blair Greer, Alice Kennedy, Delk & Mary Susan Kennedy, Pauline Kennedy, Rachel Kennedy, Dewitt & Brenda Logsdon, Russell & Frances Logsdon, Thomas & Jane Shelby, Alfred & Frances Stutts, Lynwood & Ruth Tart, Randal & Shirley Wright.
The names plaque is installed to our left of the main plaque as can be seen in the upper photo.