LINDSAY CEMETERY, GLENDALE, MAURY COUNTY TENNESSEE
Glendale, A History
Early in this century a number of communities thrived and contained almost everything that was necessary for the existence of its inhabitance. Glendale called then Hurricane was one of the most substantial of these. It came into existence in 1866 in a major way when the Louisville & Nashville Railroad located a Rail Switch and small station at this point, calling the station, "Hurricane Switch." This tended to alter the name from Hurricane to Hurricane Switch for the community as a whole. Within a couple of years the Thomas family opened a general store and other business enterprises followed. In 1868 a Methodist church was organized and the first church building erected. Hurricane became quite famous for its religious fervor throughout the region as early as 1870 when an annual camp-meeting was begun. People from as far away as Nashville and Pulaski crowded into the tents and brush arbors, often numbering in the thousands. September was the month designated for this activity and it continued until at least 1883. Like most villages, Glendale/(Hurricane Switch) lost its attractions when highways were built, cars became numerous and the railroad downgraded its services. It continues as Glendale, however, with its churches, a small convenience store (1980s) and a few other business activities. The center of Glendale today (2009) is at the point where the Culleoka Road (Hwy 373) & new Lewisburg Pike (Hwy 50) intersect, but encompasses the larger residential and commercial area. The name Hurricane/(Hurricane Switch), no longer heard, fades into history.
Glendale, a 1906 perspective
Glendale is on the L. & N., six m. south
of Columbia, It was formerly called Hurricane Switch, and lost that designation
with the invention of the Automobile & decline of the Rails in that area.
Benjamin Thomas was one of the pioneers to Maury Cu., and its first treasurer.
His son, Alfred, lived near Glendale; and B. S., son of the latter, was born
here, Jan., 1846, and opened a store here in 1870. A few years later he erected
the handsome home, where his son, Hardin W., resides. He married Hattie C.
Mayberry, and from this union came H. W., Robert Smith, Alfred L., and Katie
Lee, wife of D. A. Oliver, of Groveland (about 2 miles n. of here). Mr. Thomas
died, Oct. 2, 1903, and the store was continued by his sons, H. W., A. L., and R
S., as Thomas Bros. The Glendale Mercantile Co., started, 1901, was purchased by
Thomas Bros., 1903, and, having lost their store by fire, March, 1905, they at
once added a new stock to the Glendale Mercantile Company building, and have
continued as a good store.
The Thomas Brothers have a 200-acre farm, and keep a good line of blooded stock that has made some notable records on the turf. Van Buren Wilkes and Pearl A. are especially worthy of mention. Hardin W. Thomas. whose efficient services as secretary of the building committee of the new Columbia Herald, is favorably known to those who visit the County Clerk's office, where his courteous services have won many friends and made him a popular candidate for that office next year. He married Daisy, daughter of J. C. McClendon; while his brother, Alfred L., married Virginia, daughter of A. F. and Virginia (Morgan) Brown.
The Glendale Post Office was kept by B. S. Thomas until his death, when Alfred L. was appointed, and Hardin W. succeeded, Sept. 1, 1905.
A Blacksmith and Repair Shop was found conducted by D. S. Hancock, who was born, Dec. 5, 1867, at Bellbuckle, Tn. and has been in this business since 1901. He is son of J. L. and Sarah (Lowe) Hancock, and married Nell, daughter of T. J. and Mary (Booker) Douglas. This shop was owned by Benjamin S. Thomas and managed by B. F. Haywood for 17 years prior to the purchase by D. S. Hancock, who does good work and holds a large trade.
Dr. J. S. Covey, son of W. R. and Martha Lou (Craig) Covey, of Culleoka, was born Oct., 1868, attended the Webb Bros and Wall & Mooney Academy, graduating from Vanderbilt University, 1892, since which he has been in practice at Culleoka and Glendale, which are but four miles distant. August, 1903, he married the widow of W. W. Cochran, who was Willie, daughter of M. B. and Mildred (Dillard) Tomlinson, of Culleoka. Her daughter, Virginia Cochran, is a student at the Glendale School.
Churches of Glendale, 1906
Pleasant Mount Cumberland Presbyterian
Church. From the earliest history of the county the number an Presbyterians
have maintained worship in this vicinity. The " Frame Church," 3 miles
east of Glendale, was erected by a union congregation and a Cumberland
Presbyterian Society was organized here, 1844. The first elders were G. T.
Harris, B. O. Parsons, M. B. Whittaker, B. F. Smith. In the early 1840's a part
of McCain's congregation had formed Hebron Church, 2 miles west of Glendale; and
in 1868 a consolidation was effected, the two congregations becoming Pleasant
Mount and erecting a brick church, one mile east of Glendale. This was rebuilt
during 1899 into the present $4,000 structure, which is one of the handsomest
country churches in Middle Tenn. Rev. James Gracey was pastor when the churches
united in 1868: Wm. McKenzie came. 1870; J. V. Dowell, 1872; Gibb Thompson.
1873; Luther Johnson, D.D. 1877: W. T. Dale, 1879: J. M. Brown. 1885; T. E.
Hudson, 1893; E. B. Surface, 1897; John T. Price, 1901. Rev. Price, who resides
in the adjoining manse, owned by the church. is a graduate of Cumberland
University, and has been in the ministry for many years. The church has about
160 members. Session are J. H. Kannon, G. W. Park, Jr., R. H. Moore, C. R.
Denton; D. W. C. Smith, Clerk.
Hurricane Methodist Episcopal Church was organized, and, through F. A. Burke, Robert Owen, and others, a church was erected. 1868. Two years later a camp ground was established by Bishop Marvin, where an annual meeting was held for many years, the Methodists coming from many miles distant to spend a week of worship in tents. The old church house was sold, 1897, to the Christians, and the handsome new frame building erected at a cost of about $2,500. The five-acre camp ground is now owned by Dr. Covey. Rev. Rice was an early circuit rider. Recent pastors have been W. A. Leath. 1885; R. P. Gray, 1889; J. G. Molloy, 1893; W. W. Graves, 1895; W. H. Johnston. 1897; A. P. Walker, 1899; W. H. Beasley, 1903. The church has about 70 members.
Glendale Christian Church was organized in 1897 by W. R. Spivey, and has about 30 members. It purchased the old Methodist Episcopal edifice, which had been erected, 1868.
Hurricane Primitive Baptist Church 1
mile north of Glendale, was organized for colored people before the war. It is
in charge of Charles Morgan, of Columbia, who preaches each third Sabbath. Mr.
Morgan also ministers on each second Sabbath to a small congregation at Silver
Creek, north of here, organized in 1870.
Glendale Schools enroll about 100 white pupils under charge of Prof. W. P. Morton, son of J. H. and Margaret (Hardison) Morton, who was born near Leftwich, Maury Co., Apr., 81, attended Haynes-McLean Preparatory School, and commenced teaching, 1900. He received L.I. degree from Peabody College early, 1905, and opened Glendale School in August of last year (1905). His sister, Ethel F. Morton, is primary teacher here, and Miss Lizzie Thomas is music teacher.
The Colored School of 50 pupils, 1-2 mile west of Glendale, is in charge of Q. H. Bell, who was born near Huntsville, Ala., 1854: took a course at Crown Point. Ind., and graduated, 79, from Roger Williams, Normal School, having taught in this county 26 years. He owns a 75 acre farm near McCain's. Mr. Bell married, Laura Amis, from which union came Birdie Viola, at home, and Jas. A., student at Hopkinsville. In 1898 he married Ella Gordon, of Nashville.
J. G. Moore, Glendale, son of R. N. and Rowena (Harris) Moore, born, Feb. 13, 1859, 15 years ago bought the Z. T. Akin farm of 110 acres, 3 - 4 miles north of Glendale, which is a desirable place and well kept. His sons, however, prefer merchandising. R. Laurice, born, Oct., 1885, has a good position with Thomas Bros., at Glendale, and Henry, born, Sept., 1887, is clerking in a Memphis store. Mr. Moore's wife was the former Emma P. Mayberry.
C. C. Denton, 1 & 1/2 miles west of Glendale, is a son of Corda Denton, a native of N. C., his father, a War of 1812 soldier, having died before Corda was born. C. C. was born, March, 1859, & married Mary Sue, daughter of Miles Owen, of Williamson Co. From this union came Owen, who died, 1902; Hayes, in California; Carl, of Nashville; Audie M. and Katie Sue, at home. Mr. Denton owns the old homestead of 285 acres, 1 mile west of Glendale; and, 1903, bought the Capt. Joe Love farm, where he resides. For five years past he has been magistrate of the 5th District, and is one of the poorhouse commissioners.
Capt. J. D. Howard, who owns an 80-acre farm 2 miles west of Glendale, formerly the Joe Tomlinson place, was born, July, 1835, son of Willoughby and Frances (Cochran) Howard (of Mt Pleasant). He married first a sister of J. P. Brownlow from which union came Annie, wife of W. B. Giddens, of Giles Co: Mr. Howard served 3 years in the 48th Tenn., Confederate States Army, and was promoted to the rank of Captain. His second wife is Mattie, daughter of James and Martha (Perry) Beckett.
The above writings translated and edited for
this site by Wayne Austin 6 May 2009 sourced originally from the book Century
Review of Maury County by Robbins.