CEMETERY-MT PLEASANT, MAURY COUNTY, TENNESSEE
Willis Henry Boddie was the founder of the above Historic antebellum Home in Mt. Pleasant known as Walnut Grove. It was originally built in 1824 and burned to the ground in a fire about 1856. Boddie's sister Sabra Tool Lawrence moved to Maury County in 1826 and lived with him in the original structure. Willis Henry died in 1841 and Sabrina continued to live here until the fire. She rebuilt the home after the fire. Nathan Vaught who built many of the antebellum homes in middle Tennessee is credited with this home built in 1857. The land was a part of a large farm originally owned by Rev Hugh Shaw one of the early pioneers of the Mt Pleasant area. The kitchen in back is thought to be a part of the original structure. For over 75 years the property was in the Mumford Smith family who gave the place the name "Walnut Grove". The James H. Jones is credited with getting the home on the National Register of Historic Places in the 1980s. The home has recently changed hands again.
by Mary Bob McClain Richardson 6/11/07. Sources: "Hither & Yon"
Vol 1, page 128, Cemetery records of Lawrence Cemetery, For more information see
"Hither & Yon".