Search billions of records on


The memorial of Joseph Haynes decorated with the colors of the American Flag.

HAYNES, Joseph, 15 Oct 1749 - 3 Jun 1845. "North Carolina Pvt. REVOLUTIONARY WAR." (s/o James Haynes & Ann Huggins Haynes, who are buried at
Coddle Creek Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church yard Cemetery.)
HAYNES, Eleanor Sloan, (No other information. Eleanor Sloan is documented to be the wife of Joseph Haynes and likely lies by his side in this graveyard [WA 18 Jul 2010.])

Joseph Haynes was born 15 Oct 1749. He enlisted in a company of militia in his native county of Rowan in North Carolina. "when the call for troops went out in 1775. He first served under Captain Dixon. He served with this unit for numerous tours of duty throughout the Revolution and was in the Battles of Ramsour's Mill and Cowan's Ford. It is likely that he was a neighbor and companion of John Baldridge since they were from same area, served in the same engagements and immigrated to the same locality in Maury County Tennessee. His namesake has been placed on this cemetery bearing the name of this hero.

Obituary Notice of Joseph Haynes, written by Melvin Andrews Haynes, Banner of Peace and Cumberland Presbyterian Advocate, Vol 4 #9, Friday, June 20, 1845.
Joseph Haynes, Sen'r DIED - On the 3rd June, 1845 at his residence on Silver Creek, Maury county, Tenn., JOSEPH HAYNES, Senior, in the 90th year of his age.

He was born in Dauphin county, Penn., in the year 1749, but was raised in the Province of North Carolina, to which his father emigrated in 1752. He was one of the earliest advocates of independence, and although he did not participate in the Mecklenburg Declaration, he warmly approved and supported it. He was actively engaged, throughout almost the whole of the seven years' war, in the partisan warfare which was waged in the Carolinas, first under one partisan leader, and then another. He was at the battle of the Cowpens, and a few days afterwards, formed a part of Gen. Davidson's army, when that brave General lost his life, in opposing the passage of the British, at Cowans's Ford, on the Catawba. His two younger brothers were also there, and the gallant Capt. James Scott who fell in that battle, was his brother-in-law.

Soon after the retreat of the republican army, and after they had made their last stand at Tarrant's house, he was met by his sister, who had threaded her way through by-paths for forty miles, having eluded the marauding parties, which were scattered through the country, to bear him the painful intelligence, that his farm had been laid waste, his house pillaged, his property destroyed or carried off, and his aged and sick father carried off to the British army by a party of Col. Tarleton's flying dragoons. His sons left the republican army, and started on the trail of Tarleton's men, and after several days pursuit, they found their father left for dead on the road-side, watched by a wounded republican soldier, who had generously stopped to watch over the dying old man, at the peril of death to himself. They bore him to his home, so lately the scene of British outrage, where he did not long survive the cruelty of his inhuman captors. His sons, however, lived to see and to aid in many of the glorious battles, in which Tarleton, and Ferguson and Conwallis were soon after so signally defeated in the Carolinas. He had many kinsmen; and it was his boast, that of them all, there was not one, who was able to bear a musket, who did not fight under the republican flag. Two of his kinsmen formed a part of the northern army - one of whom fell at Bunker-Hill, and the other lost an eye, in a battle soon after. There was scarcely a battle fought in the southern Provinces, in which some one of his family did not participate, nor was there one of them, whose home was not given up to pillage, and to plunder. Thought elder than all his kinsmen, who survived the Revolution, he outlived them all.

He was one of the first "who broke the cane, and hunted the buffalo" in the valley of Duck River. He was a brave soldier - an ardent patriot, and for near half a century an humble and devout member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church; and he lived to see several of his descendants and relatives useful and worthy ministers of the same church.

Until within a short time before his death, he was able to walk and ride as usual; and though advanced beyond the age usually allotted to man's existence, he never lost the vigor of intellect, nor the manliness of carriage, which characterized his earlier years.

Few men have lived so long and worthly; and it cannot but be a source of gratification to his numerous family and relatives, that he had lived, a devoted and humble Christian.

He had passed through a long pilgrimage, had seen much sorrow and been visited by many trying dispensations of providence; yet he triumphed over them, all, over exhibiting an example of dignified and patient submission to whatever visitations of misfortune might befall him: and well might he have said, in view of the events of his own life, "The way was long, my children, long and rough. But he that creeps from cradle down to grave, Unskilled, save in the velvet walks of fortune, Hath missed the discipline of noble hearts." M. A. H.

Photographed on 12/27/2006 by Wayne Austin. Obit compiled and sent in by Mary Bob McClain Richardson. 15 Oct 2008. Other notes were added as deemed worthy.