(Monsanto Road) MAURY COUNTY TENNESSEE
CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH AT CONCORD
Concord Cumberland Presbyterian Church was
located seven miles from Columbia on land presently owned by Monsanto Chemical
Nothing remains today to mark this hallowed spot except a cemetery (Concord). According to an article in THE Nashville Tennessean, March 28, 1948, the church was destroyed by a tornado.
The Concord congregation was organized about
1830 after camp meetings were held in the area. This group of worshippers was
led by the famous Reverend James Brown Porter who began to hold regular meetings
at Concord. The land calls locate this church as being on the west side of Green
In 1831 William Jennings deeded to trustees William J. Jennings, Willian B. Butler, Nathaniel Young and Peter Joyce one acre of land, "for a house for the Public worship of the living God." (Deed Book 0, Vol. 1, p. 463, 17 June 1831). At this time there may have already been a building of some kind for public worship since the land calls mentioned "Concord meetinghouse."
Names of some of the earliest members of this church were Gray, Dooley, Joyce, Baird and Hill. Early pastors included George W. Mitchell, Elishu Kirkpatrick, T. Jeff Dixon, and J. N. Edmiston. Later ministers were Robert Whitaker, Sam Polk, J. Tyler, Andrew Baker & W. A. Provine.
In 1868 a new church was built. There was a strong membership here at that time. During the middle years Ashley Hill, E. P. Parsons and J. W. Trousdale were Ruling Elders. The Rev. R. F. Jennings (1848-1876), a member of Concord Church was ordained to the ministry in 1872 by Richland Presbytery.
The earliest marked grave in the cemetery at Concord is that of a child, Nellie Gray, who died December 12, 1842. Two men who gave their lives to the Confederate cause have monuments here William H. Moore who died a prisoner of war in Chicago and J. B. Applewhite, Jr. who died March 8, 1863.
Mrs. Marvin Kinnard, Churches of Maury County, Tennessee before 1860, Page 71, 72
Transcribed from the book Churches of Maury County Tennessee before 1860 by Wayne Austin as written on pages 71 and 72 by Mrs Marvin Kinnard.