Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

DOOLEY CEMETERY, COLUMBIA, MAURY COUNTY TENNESSEE

Located under the black arrow pointing downward to your right is the James Dooley monument.

Notice the Daughters of the American Revolution marker on our left and the Sons of the Revolution marker on our right. These along with the bouquet in the center commemorate the service of James Dooley in the Revolutionary War for freedom and the founding of our country. A celebration took place here October 22, 2006 which included visiting and local descendants and local dignitaries. 

The DAR plaque recently celebrating James Dooley's service to our country. See article in Columbia Herald regarding members of the Tennessee and Andrew Carruthers chapters of the DAR placing three markers at the Dooley Cemetery to honor James Dooley.

The James Dooley Memorial

DOOLEY, James, d. 17 Jun 1824, in his 78th yr. of age. (Revolutionary War Soldier.) Tombstone reads "Sacred to the Memory of James Dooley who departed this life June 17, 1824 in his 78th year of age"
and
DOOLEY, Rachel Rutledge Moore, (no dates known, but born abt 1750), wife of James Dooley,  widow of Edward Moore and presumed sister of William Rutledge. married James in 1787. No stone here, but believed to be interred here beside beside her husband.

James Dooley born 1746 VA to unproven parentage. Hails from the valley of Virginia, served in the Fincastle and Botetourt County Militias during 1774 in the opening days of the Revolution. Migrated to Lincoln County, KY in 1781 with his wife's family - Margaret McKinney daughter of Daniel McKinney who helped found McKinney Station. He served in the Lincoln County, KY militia in the closing days of the Revolutionary war. Margaret was murdered in an Indian raid witnessed by her children. James remarried to Rachel Rutledge Moore, widow of Edward Moore and presumed sister of William Rutledge in 1787. They had three children together. They migrated to Maury County, TN circa 1806. He is buried in the Dooley Cemetery on what was once part of the extensive holdings of Dooley land.
Photo & Information contributed by Lauri Dooley Miller lauridooleymiller@gmail.com 5/21/2007.