CRANFORD HOLLOW RD, MAURY COUNTY TENNESSEE
Directions: Go east out Bear Creek Pike (Hwy 412/99 to Cranford Hollow Road and turn (south) right. Almost immediately you pass Cothran Rd on the right and then go about 200 yards to the third driveway and turn south or right into the old Cooper farm lane going up an incline. This is the original place founded by progenitor Jonathan Cooper 1785 - 1882. The cemetery is behind the house. The cemetery is 50 yards southeast from the house.
Directions-another set: Jonathan Cooper is buried in a small family cemetery behind the old home of Frank Derryberry, who at one time lived here, but is now deceased. It is on a hill to the right of the Cranford Hollow Road. Cranford Hollow Road is to the right, going east, off of Highway 99/412.
Locator Map of the Cemetery Cooper Cemetery Area Views A look from another angle
The photographer started on the western row of the two rows and went south down that row and north back up the partial second row of graves includes #7 & #8. The sequential number 1 - 8 reflects that order. The order of burial is 4. Agness, 5. Elizabeth, 3. Miss H.S., 6. Jonathan, 2. J. H., 8. David Y., 1. Matthew D., & 7. Mary A..
Jonathan, born 9 May 1785, died 28
April 1882. 96 Years. (Cooper Family History)
5. COOPER, Elizabeth G., "consort of Jonathan Cooper, who departed this life Feb the 14th 1858. Aged 63 years, 11 months and 14 days.
4. COOPER, Agness, who departed this life Sept the 19th, 1856, in the 19th year of her age.
3. COOPER, Miss H.S.(Hester Stewart), who departed this life June 18, 1865.
1. COOPER, Matthew D., born Williamson Co., Tenn., Feb 18, 1826,died Maury Co., Mar 7, 1910. A Mexican War soldier of 1848 and a Confederate States War soldier, 1861.
2. COOPER, J.H. (John Hall), 12 Feb 1824 - 24 Oct 1896.Veteran of Mexican War, serving as Private in Capt. A.G. (Albert Gallatin Cooper's Co. C, 1st Tennessee Mounted Infantry May 28, 1846 - May 29 1847. He enlisted in Civil War, serving in Col. A.G. Cooper's Co., 9th Tennessee Cavalry.
7. COOPER, Mary A.(Anderson), 2 Oct 1832 - 1 Sep 1916. (single, daughter of Jonathan Cooper. native of SC. Obit. says she died 31 Aug 1918.)
8. COOPER, David Y., 1 Jan 1828 - 16 Oct 1897. "Age 79, (Center Star area, member of Methodist Church, peaceable quiet neighbor. Wife, two sisters and three brothers survive." Columbia Herald, 5 Nov 1897.)(dates don't calculate time span of 79 years.)
A grave spot is either unmarked or skipped between # 2 & #3 above. #7 and #8 are in the second row. The rest of Row 2 is either unmarked graves without stones of unused spots.
Listed in "Maury County Tennessee Cemeteries", 1 Apr 1986, by Fred Lee Hawkins, page 95. Also listed in "They Passed This Way", 1963, page C-56, by Evelyn Shackleford & Marise Lightfoot. Transcribed & compiled sent in by Mary Bob McClain who descends from the Cooper family. Her distant cousin James Larry Fuller visited here 25 Feb 2008. Added here 9 Aug 2008.