CHAFFIN CEMETERY-MAURY COUNTY TENNESSEE-WILEY HOLLOW ROAD
Either by blood
or marriage I'm related to everyone at Chaffin cemetery. That is thru Thomas
Scott and Martha Scott Kerbey. I've never been able to figure out who the
parents of this brother & sister were but they came from the Stokes Co., NC,
area. Martha Scott married Bennett Kerbey, Stokes Co., NC, 7 Jul 1805. Martha
went by the name Patsy.
Thomas Scott m. Eleanor unknown. Probably in Giles or Maury Co. I've never found a marriage record for them but it would have been around 1817. They had 6 children:
1. William S. Scott b. 1818. His 2 wives are buried next to Thomas. He was captured at Ft. Donelson & sent to Camp Douglas, IL. He died there July 22, 1862.
2. Martha Scott b.1820 married Allen G. Brown. They were married 1854 Maury Co. He died within 5 years of their marriage. She never remarried.
3. Bennett Kerby Scott b. April 14, 1823 m. Mary Ann Harmon. They moved to Henry Co. He died in the Civil War, too.
4. Nancy Elizabeth Scott b.1826 m. Elisha Pullen, 1848, Maury Co. They are my gg-gdparents.
5. Thomas P. Scott b. August 1829 m. Jane unknown. In 1900 they were living in the Chaffin Cemetery area.
6. John b. 1837. I have never been able to find any info on him.
Two of William S. & Holly Scott's daughter's families are buried at Chaffin. Lucy m. W.J. Chaffin and Mary m. George Gibson.
I strongly believe that Thomas' wife Eleanor is buried there in an unmarked grave. She never remarried and died c.1865. We've never been able to confirm her death date or burial place. It just stands to reason she would be buried near her husband. I, also, believe my gg-gdm Nancy E. Scott Pullen is buried there in an unmarked grave.
There's a memorial stone for her at New Ramah but that's only to note her death. Elisha was 67 yrs old when he married her and she was only 22. She never remarried.
There were hard feelings among some of the Pullens over this marriage and I don't think she would have wanted to be buried with his first family. She was very close to her own family and it just makes sense she would have preferred to have been buried with them. I think all the descendants of Thomas believe that Eleanor & Nancy are buried at Chaffin.
Pat Cribbet, 31
May 2008 7:35 pm
Update 5 Feb 2009:
By the way, I
had written that Thomas P. Scott married Jane unknown. Since then we have
discovered that he married Narcissa Jane Stinson, 1872, Maury Co. Tennessee
Pat Cribbett 5 Feb 2009
Contributed via e-mails from Pat Cribbet. 1 Jun 2008 Updated 5 Feb 2009.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids