MAURY COUNTY TENNESSEE, CAMPBELL STATION HISTORY
Scroll down to see the complete listing of records

CAMPBELL STATION SCHOOL, 1919.  Left to right lower row first:
Roy Hayes, Gratton Hobbs, Willie Hayes, Hannah Hobbs, Leon Belafant, Marvin Redding, Revis Hobbs, Herbert Perdue, Ual Belafant, Murphy Willeford, J. B. Marshall, James Gilbert, Cecil Lee Lentz, Murphy Rea, Harvell Aston, Freeman Pigg, Marvin Pigg. 
Second Row: Garvin Adams (teacher), Nellie Will Ball (Mrs Henderson Jackson), Polly Coffey (Mrs Bill Nye), Lenice Murdock, Eva Marshall (Mrs Bill Sapulas), Lorene Kerr (Mrs Howard Gossett), Lorene Wells (Mrs Joe F. Kerr),  Mildred Young, Hattie Mai Williamson, Willie Mai Gilbert, Catherine Kerr, Nellie Day, Willie Caskey (Mrs Allen Lentz), Elizabeth Kerr (Mrs Earl Ashton), Mary Redding (Mrs George Davis), Eddie Hayes, Charlotte Hobbs (Mrs Raybon Spencer), Mary Ball (Mrs Revis Hobbs), Icey Hayes, (Mrs Harold Arnold), Lacy Hayes (Mrs Emmet Shaw).
Third Row: Stanley Pennington, William Kerr, Dalton Hobbs, Hazel Hobbs, Neal Redding, Brown Ball, Ulyses Walls, Webb Bowman, Jewel Hobbs (Mrs Frank Richardson), Frances Martin (Mrs. John Lambert), Jane Inman (Mrs Neil Wilkes), Elizabeth Redding (Mrs. Poseu Bond), Joe Johnson, Tom Bowman, Mrs. Nannie R. Hobbs (Teacher).
Fourth Row: Guy Ball, Ollie Murdock, Luther T. Fleming, Alward Murdock, Humphrey Willeford, Herman Marshall, Ralph Trousdale, Mahlon Hobbs, Ozro Redding, Mac Coffey (Mrs. Frank Seagraves), Mary Inman (Mrs John Dowell), Mary Sallie Pigg (Mrs. Claudie McAdams), Flem Pigg, Joe Redding, Zada Hobbs (Mrs Ralph Bossett).   

This school was one of the feeder schools for Culleoka High in the early 1900s. It was located in Campbell Station three miles south of Culleoka. From Culleoka go south on Graham Road to Campbell Station. The building above was a clap board siding structure. One of the early teachers of this school was believed to be Andrew Ross Kerr (1807-1875). This Andrew Kerr is not to be confused with Andrew Kerr (1786-1864) (an uncle) who was an early founder of Pleasant Grove Academy about four miles to the north in Pleasant Grove (Culleoka). (well the old 1875 map of Maury County by DG Beers and Co. shows it a mile or so to the west of Culleoka). Pleasant Grove was known to have a Train Station on the Decatur to Nashville Railroad, but that is a whole different history.  Many of the above persons with the surname Kerr are the descendants of William Kerr (1781-1853, interred in Shane Cemetery). This news  clipping was saved by the mother of John Sharpe, a William Kerr descendant. I presume this to be a Columbia Herald Newspaper Article (the date is unknown to me), but there is no indication of that shown here. Imagery by John Sharpe, a resident of Maury County. Forwarded  to this site by Gary Hood who also runs a Web Site of Maury County items of historical interest. (WA 2002)  

CAMPBELL STATION SCHOOL BUILDING  This is the authors Computer artistic rendition of the school as I think it would have appeared about 1940. What shows now as a white painted surface might have been at one time natural gray Oak boards. The roof would have been metal where it is now shingle. Also I wonder if one of the two sections of the building was a later addition. The porch might have been a later addition. One cannot see that in the 1919 photo above. I am unaware of the age of this building.   Photography and art by WA 2002

CAMPBELL STATION SCHOOL BUILDING  in Dec 2002. You are looking across Campbell Station Branch and Martin Hollow Road at the School building. The building is being used by a ladies organization today.    Photo by WA.

CAMPBELL STATION CHURCH OF CHRIST- is just to the north of the school. This Church has a very old & lively history.  Was shown as the Christian Church in the 1876 D. G. Beers Map of the County. Also I believe the house in the background at that time belonged to J. T. Hobbs. This photo was also taken from across the Campbell Station Branch.  Photo by WA. The following historical account and church promotion is presented by the Elders of Campbell Station Church of Christ Sept of 2004. 

Campbell's Station Church of Christ-a history

  The congregation is located in the Campbell's Station Community and can be reached by taking Highway 50 E, turn off to the right and go Hwy 373 to Culleoka.  Through Culleoka  go about 1 mile East turn Right on Campbell Station Road and drive until reaching the Store. It is within sight of the store there, just opposite it and beside the Community Center (former School House) at the same exit and driveway.   

A Christian Church was known to have started here about 1840 with a scattered membership. The community was known as Fountain Creek then and even up through the 1940's mail was addressed in that manner. Preaching was held in a school house until a church building was erected in 1868 principally through the efforts of W.G. Martin, William Hobbs and Thomas White. Wade Barrett reorganized the church and served as minister for several years. Other preachers were E.P. Frazier, J.H. Bradley, W.R. Spivey of Giles Co. who came to Campbell's Station in 1902. (Copied from the Maury County History)

One record book kept at the building and updated by members was dated Feb. 11, 1876 and named Bro. Thomas J. Hobbs, “clerk”.  The congregation met on the 20th day of February to reorganize the church and at that meeting Brethren Thomas White and William G. Martin were unanimously chosen as Bishops, to oversee the work of the church there. Brethren Joseph B. Kerr and William Hobbs were chosen as Deacons, Bro. John J. Harden was declared Treasurer. At the same time Bro. Thomas J. Hobbs was appointed as Clerk.

This old record book reveals the names of other preachers: Sam T. Sewell, Bro. Frazier, George Campbell of Giles Co., also Bro. George Reynolds. In December 1882 Bro. William Hobbs was appointed an elder. These early elders were apparently very strict in the affairs of the church, often reproving, rebuking, and did not hesitate to withdraw from brethren and sisters who were found walking disorderly.

That record book also show that the church failed to meet sometimes as many as three Lord’s days in succession but the clerk made mention of the reason – “rain, snow or just willful going to other places and neglecting the command of the Lord to meet on the first day of the week to break bread in memory of the Lord who died for our sins”, and simply Signed, “Clerk”.

Bro. John Morton preached on the first day of April 1877. Bro. John Houston of Lewisburg, preached on the 23rd day of April to a large crowd. Bro. E. G. Sewell of Nashville, TN held a gospel meeting beginning November 1878 and drew large crowds whereby there were many conversions. In those days the right hand of fellowship was given to all new converts and those who had confessed wrongs. The preacher was paid by subscription $3.00 - $7.25 on Lord’s Day.

On the Fifth Lord’s Day of September 1883 Bro. J.C. McQuiddy held a meeting. There was a splendid meeting where many were baptized and some restored. Bro. McQuiddy lived in Columbia, TN at that time.  On the 18th of July Bro. James H. Morton filled the appointment of Bro. F.C. Sowell. In 1886 a meeting was held by Brethren Willie Morton and F.C. Sowell with good results. From 1887 until 1890 there is no mention of any meeting on the Lord’s Day. On these dates, 14th September, third Lord’s Day of September, 1887, again 2nd Lord’s Day September 1890 Bro. Sewell held protracted meetings with a large number being baptized.  In 1891 Brethren James E. Scoby and Murphy were chosen to preach.

Some interesting observations are that as far as present records reveal in 1915 they were helping the TN Orphans Home and continued to do so until as recently as the early 1980s. They also helped congregations as far away as Lake City, Florida and the Carolina’s.  Literature was a quarterly expense and due to the limited quantity printed, (hand set in those days) it was an expensive item. They had a great concern for the members to know God’s Word, and they wanted the congregation to be well taught. Even in l920 they paid the preacher $65.00 for the meeting and the song leader $15.00. During that meeting the contribution was $37.18 at the beginning and evidently later $22.95 was given extra on the side or after the regular contribution. Money was sometimes given through the week day to the treasurer or clerk probably because they had to either sell something or go to the bank for the extra money.

One other book had recordings of baptisms and deaths but not in chronological order.  Samples of baptisms and deaths before 1900 were Emma E. Hobbs, baptized 1886 by F.C. Sowell. Martha Hobbs died Jan. 8, 1884. Malissia Coggin, baptized Nov. 1878. Nan White departed this life Oct. 12, 1884. It appears that the clerk added this information at a later date and just wrote it in as it was provided. Many if not all of the baptisms were recorded through 1982 when A.C. Hardison was the minister or holding a meeting.

They bought wood for $1.50. Most of the congregation used wood to heat their own homes. One would have assumed this fuel would have been provided free by one of the members. This may have been given in place of money as an offering of that value. Two dozen song books were purchased in 1917 at the cost of $6.31. A few more were purchased each year or two after that because of the growing congregation.

In the 1919 records, 2 gallon of wine cost $4.00 for the communion service. There was no refrigeration for keeping grape juice.   They must have had gas light because it shows ongoing cost for gasoline for many years. Light figures were one of the expenses. The expense account shows they paid $9.70 balance on a carpet. Two gallon of paint was purchased for $3.50.They purchased a bucket and dipper for $1.00 for water to be available for drinking. People walked, rode horses or come in wagons or buggies so they were thirsty during these long services, especially on hot summer days when revivals and dinner-on-the ground was held. Some families no doubt came quite a distance. The records show cement steps being put up in 1919. Three gallon of gasoline was $.90.

The total contribution in 1920 was $292.62 and the expenses were $276.59.  In 192l the books show that coal was purchased for $4.25. Perhaps, they switched to a coal burning stove.  They also sent $13.00 for “China sufferers”.  Sometimes money was raised by subscription for gospel meetings and money was “handed in during the weekday” to the treasurer or clerk as some were called.  In 1922 they paid Thomas H. Burton a fifth Sunday contribution ($5.00) to be applied to the church debt. They also purchased 19 new song books at the cost of $8.20.

Near the church building is the old Campbell's Station School House. In 1922 the records show that a school boy paid them .40 for broken glass. Perhaps, a rock or ball was thrown too far during recess time and hit the window of the building.

In 1923 they purchased 1 1/2 dozen song books for $6.45.  The record begins to show that they paid .25 each Lord’s Day for someone to sweep. This is at a time when there are records of other country congregations not having a Sunday contribution larger than $0.25. Even now in 2004 some country congregations have those members who either do cleaning free or take turns contributing this service as well as keeping the grass/weed eating done for the congregation. Again, this could have been a “in lieu of” contribution. Noticeable, was the $12.50 spent on a “Bible Education Fund”. A gift of $16.00 was sent to “Japanese sufferers”.  The Gospel Advocate Co. is mentioned as being paid for literature. Before this date, Williams Printing Co. was mentioned as being paid to do cards. It may have been the small card literature used in the children’s classes where a picture was on one side and the appropriate story and questions on the reverse side. Ongoing, throughout the records are expenditures for Bible study books, songbooks, ministers, song leaders and helping others both local and abroad. Even through the “depression” years these were continued, showing it to be a visionary congregation for its time.

At some point in time some of the records were burned in a fire at one of the members homes. During 1930 -1940 period of time the Church Treasurer was a Mrs. Nannie Hobbs. This would be unusual for a church to allow this in that she had succeeded her husband, Edgar Hobbs, after he died. For how long a time span we do not know. Since no additions were made to one book's records until 1962 it would be assumed that would be the span of time lost or scattered amongst personal effects of former church families. It was known that many of the church women took to keeping records at their husband's request and the men simply allowed this as part of the work involved in maintaining some detailed information. Most of those families of the 1930's through the 1960's have since moved away from the community or passed way.

Recorded names of elders in 1962 were: E.S. Lentz, Eldred Martin, Neal Hanson and Allen Lentz.  Mr. Ernest Lentz in 1960 provided from records and from memory history given to Bro. Wilburn Fox for his book History and Pictures of the Fifty Churches of Christ in Maury Co. On page 33 it says, “W.G. Martin was a son-in-law of Wade Barrett.

Eldred Martin presently worships at Campbell Station Church of Christ and is the song leader. Eldred is the great, great grandson of Wade Barrett and his children are the sixth generation. Mrs. Allen Lentz, also, is a great granddaughter of Wade Barrett making her children and grandchildren six generations at Campbell Station church. Wade Barrett’s daughter Sarah Ann married Samuel Caskey. Their son, William Darnell Caskey married Mary Pearl Wilkes, their daughter Willie Louise married Allen Lentz and they had Bill, Dorothy, Wayne, Faye and Marlin Lentz". All of these descendants were baptized and worshipped at Campbell's Station in past days.

If Brother Wade Barrett helped establish the Church here it was many years ago for he died in the 1870’s.  Stories handed down through the generations indicate he preached here before his death. The schoolhouse and church house building are erected on land donated by the Whites, who owned land from there southward along the South Fork of Fountain Creek. They tore away the old building around 1915. They used some of the lumber from the old building to erect the present building which is a nice and substantial house of worship. Brother C.S. Austin preached the first sermon in the new building.  In 1957 they erected four Sunday school rooms. These rooms serve four classes in addition to the three classes in the auditorium.

The Sunday School teachers in 1961 were Brethren: Neal Hanson, Eldred Martin, H.B. Riley, Ernest S. Lentz and Sisters Rachel Lentz, W.L. Pruitt, and Jessie Hight Martin.

Brother Eldred Martin at the age of 87 years died on October 26, 2003. His two sons who were members of the church here preceded him in death. None of his grandchildren are worshipping at Campbell Station now. Brother Eldred was one of the descendants from Wade Barnett who was credited with reorganizing the membership around 1870 or so.

In 1876 at the newly reorganized church one of the first appointed Deacons, and possibly later as a Bishops, was Joseph B. Kerr.

Currently, in 2004 the Edward J. (Kathy Rae White) Kerr family are active members, and would be the only remaining descendant of one of the original first families who were worshipping some 134 years ago in this congregation. Edward and Kathy have a daughter, Rebecca A. Kerr and a son, Jonathan E. Kerr who were both baptized at the Campbell's Station church. Edward J. has three sisters, Sara, Mary and Cathy who were all baptized here. They are the children of the late  Edward T. (and Alma Elizabeth Hughes) Kerr. Edward T. and his two brothers and five sisters were baptized at Campbell's Station. They were the children of Ross M. (Sallie Coffee) Kerr.  Born in 1885 Ross Kerr’s father was Joseph B. Kerr who served not only as a church elder but raised six sons and six daughters in this congregation. Born in 1838 Joseph B. Kerr was a veteran of the Confederate Infantry. Joseph’s father, William, came into the county in 1805 and raised five sons. There are a number of Kerr baptisms and some death notices entered into the record book. This book is by no means complete nor is it in chronological order. These genealogies mentioned show the influence that Christian ancestors have upon our lives today.

Since Campbell's Station now has various records dating back to 1915 and some before then, it is difficult to list all the preachers that have brought sermons at this place. A few of them are Brethren: C.S. Austin, W.T. Morton, Joe T. Clark, Harris J. Dark, J.A. Sisco, B.F. Harding, E.H. Hoover, John D. Cox, W.T. Boaz, Leon Burns,  J.S. Haskin, R.N. Moody, J.Clifford Murphy, S. Kelly, Bates, Austin, Richie, Will T. Vance, Roger Coffman, Thomas Daniel, John Hayes, Oliver Cunningham, Jim Totty, Billy Balke, Dorris Hubbell, Melvin Dugger, Floyd Doggett, Grady Pitts, William Spook, A.C. Hardison, John B. Sewell, Yeagly, Pack, David Utley, Riley, G.C. Fox, Calvin Hardison 1978-1988 and Paul Webb 1989-2003 (due to his untimely death). Bro. Glen Alexander began working with them in  2004. 

September 2012 Updated - Roster:

Times of Services:
   Sunday Bible classes 10:00 A.M.
   Sunday Worship 11:00 A.M.
   Sunday Evening 5:30 P.M. .

Minister: Bro. Glen Wood Alexander Ph. 931-987-0736 Cell Ph. 698-2338
Sunday Attendance 40
Contacts:
   Glen W. Alexander, 2481 Mooresville Pike, Culleoka TN 38451
   Edward J. Kerr, 2940 Dodson Gap Road Culleoka TN 38451

Bookkeeper/Treasurer: Edward J. Kerr
Song Leaders:
Bible Class Teachers: Glen Alexander, Rhonda Alexander, Kathy Kerr and Edward Kerr.
______________________________________________________________________
January 2004 Update of Roster (historical):
Times of Services:
   Sunday Bible classes 10:00 A.M.
   Sunday Worship 11:00 A.M.
   Sunday Evening 5:30 P.M.        .
Minister: Bro. Glen Wood Alexander Ph. 931-987-0736 Cell Ph. 698-2338
Sunday Attendance 40
Contacts:
   Barney Cannady, 3659 Tanyard Hollow Rd., Culleoka, TN 38451
   Edward J. Kerr, 2940 Dodson Gap Road POB 199 Culleoka TN 38451
   William F. Ring, 2986 Dodson Gap Road Culleoka TN 38451

Bookkeeper/Treasurer: Barney Cannady Ph. 931- 987-2677
Song Leaders:
Bible Class Teachers:
Glen Alexander, Edward Kerr, Kathy Kerr, Brenda Ring and Rhonda Alexander

 We continue to have our annual gospel meeting each July, starting on the fourth Sunday and continuing nightly through Wednesday evening.
Presently additional church support is given to some foreign Gospel mission work: Helping Jim and Sara Cox with items needed in Guyana directly with contributions collected weekly. Support for Eastern European and Russian Missions for Bibles for use in the school rooms. Individual members help in local efforts for charity fund raising campaigns and disaster relief works.
This is a rural church that has over 134 years if service to our Lord. We are located conveniently to Columbia, Lewisburg or Pulaski. We offer a warm welcome to all. Ours is a friendly congregation. Come visit us.
 

 

*RETURN TO MAURY COUNTY SCHOOL HISTORY PROJECT*

Our Sponsors
Search billions of records on Ancestry.com