Davis Ford - A
shallow and excellent ford on the Duck River, used by buffalo and later the
Indians, The current ran against a rock bluff on the south and had worn a
channel through the rock. Gravel lodged here making it shallow. This is thought
to be the Shallow Ford mentioned by the surveyors in 1783 and 1784. The Davis
Ford Road was one of our earliest paths in the county, going south, crossing the
ridge at Dodson Gap into Giles County The Confederate Army crossed here in Nov.
Dean’s Hill - A steep hill off the Bear Creek Pike at the head of Cranford Hollow. The old road went over this bill, named for John Dean, and the last stage coach robbery in the county took place here in the 1830s.
Delk Ford - A ford on Duck River near Williamsport. The late A. B. Cathey said this ford was located midway between Kettle Mills and the mouth of Cathey’s Creek. It was possibly named for Sam Gill Delk, who settled in the area.
Dever Spring - Spring Located just off the Mt. Pleasant Pike between Hamilton Place and Cherry Glen, it was named for William Dever who was living here when the county was established.
Dickens Creek - Creek - In 1873 there was a movement to rename Love’s Branch of Cathey’s Creek for Hugh Dickens, who had a cotton gin here. When he moved away, the name of Love’s Branch was brought back into use.
Doublehead Branch - A branch of Big Bigby which heads at a double spring on the Ed McIver farm on the Hampshire Pike. It was named for Doublehead, Cherokee Chief, who camped here. A carving of a doubleheaded or double-faced man was long on an old tree at the spring.
Dowell Branch - This branch of Knob Creek was named for Benjamin Dowell, War of 1812 soldier, who married Betsy Desha. His wife was a great aunt of the late President Lyndon B. Johnson.. Duck River Licks - This great lick (where wild animals came to lick salt from sulphur springs) was described as "big as a corn field" and near Gordon’s Ferry on the Natchez Trace.
Duck River Station - Depot and post office discontinued here in 1870; the name was changed to Godwin.
Duke’s Store - Located on the Mt. Pleasant Pike, not far from St. John’s Church, a store was operated here for 89 years, established by brothers, William Joel and Alec Duke. After their deaths, their families continued the operation until 1973.
English Camp Ground - There were two camp grounds of this name in the county. In 1826 one was located on Rutherford Creek. The other was located in 1826 near Hampshire. English Hill near Hampshire might possibly be the location of this camp ground. The last panther in Maury County was killed on English Hill by Jonathan Webster. Enterprise - A community in old District 11 ; a store and mill here in the early days.
Ettaton - A community around old Ettaton School out from Mt. Pleasant. The Swann family gave the land for the school.
Fike’s Mill - This was a voting precinct at one time located across the river from Williamsport and named for J. B. Fike.
Finch Ford - This was a ford in Duck River not far from Williamsport. Finch Fish Trap was located in the river here at one time-possibly named for Sylvester Finch, settler in the area.
Flat Creek - This creek rises in Marshall County and empties in Duck River opposite the Jones Bend. Old Napier (or (Napper), a favorite fishing hole, was on the creek and named for John M. Napier. Once an Indian camp here as many arrowheads have been found at Napier. There was a ferry at the mouth of Flat Creek in the early days of settlement.
Fleming’s Grove - This popular picnic area was on the Pulaski Pike in the vicinity of Alexander Lane. The land was owned by Chancellor W. S. Fleming, who once had a handsome home here. It was burned by the Federals in 1864.
Flint Valley - Located on the Nashville Pike, just north of Rutherford Creek. A church and cemetery are here today; this is said to be the site of Miller’s Meeting House mentioned in early court minutes.
Fly - This settlement was named for W. M. Fly, who opened a store here in 1890 and also served as postmaster. The post office was closed in 1903. The Flys were here very early as the earliest marked grave in the county is for Sarah Fly, died 1808, is near here.
Forrest Hill - Columbia subdivision, this was developed in 1950s by L. A. Ellis. At the time development began old breast works from the Civil War were still visible on the hillside. It was named for General Nathan B. Forrest.
Fountain Creek - This creek empties into Duck River from the south side. David Love built one of the first mills in the county here in 1808 the last mill on this site only burned this year. Place names and branches include: Coon Bend, Johnson Branch, Pea Ridge, Long Tom Branch, Smith Spring, Mount Idy, Brush Creek, Scribner’s Mill, Globe creek (empties into Fountain Creek, Stiversville, New Ramey, Tanyard Hollow, Shane’s, and Culleoka. The post office at Campbell Station was named Fountain Creek.
Fox’s House - This was a voting precinct in 1870 and the population of the area was 626. The location is lost today. Frierson - At one time the area around Zion was called this as well as Friersontown. There is also a community at Mt. Pleasant which has been known as Friersontown.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids