The Stephens School was named for John P. Stephens, a banker in Hampshire Tn.
In 1928 the Isom School was consolidated with South Point School to form the new
Stephens School. There were four teachers at Stephens School. (Hampshire Then
and Now page 112). The first principal at Stephens was Larimore Austin who
taught grades nine and ten. Robert Pogue taught grades seven and eight. Mary
Lovell taught the fifth and sixth. Odessa Love was the third and fourth grade
teacher. Mary Shannon taught the first and second grades. The school was built
with two small rooms that were to be restrooms, but none were ever installed.
These rooms served as coat closets. The school was heated with pot bellied
stoves. A gasoline motor pumped water from the well to a silo-type tank. The
children and teachers drank from a bucket with a dipper from the tank. The boys’
outhouse was on the right behind the school and the girls’ outhouse on the left,
with stables between for the children who rode their horse to school. (page 114
“Hampshire Then and Now”)
Hampshire Then and Now was edited and compiled by Bettye Pogue and published
by the Hampshire bicentennial committee. The information above comes from Cecil
Whiteside published in "Hampshire Then and Now" Updated for the photos
and information compiled and sent in by Steve Elder. Source of the photos is
Lura Kennedy Elder 30 Mar 2011.