BEE SPRINGS CEMETERY (N.E.
of Elkton), GILES
BARNETT, Mary W. S., 14 Feb 1774 - 23 Nov 1864. (Mother of E. G. Stovall). 4760/4761
Mary Barnett, Mother of E. G. Stovall 14 Feb 1774 - 23 Nov 1864
There are two markers for Mary Wright Stovall Barnett in Bee Springs Cemetery. One says: Mary W. S. Barnett 14 Feb 1774 - 23 Nov 1864, and an old one: Mary Barnett, Mother of E. G. Stovall 14 Feb 1774 - 23 Nov 1864
Mary's first husband, David Joseph Stovall, Sr. 1772-1808 was
born in Granville County, NC; as a child he moved to Lincoln County, GA where he
married (abt 1797) Mary Wright. After David's death (he is buried in Lincoln
County, GA), Mary moved to Giles County, TN, and married Unk Barnett (there is
no record of another Barnett buried at Bee Spring). It is not clear if she
remarried in GA or TN. She is buried in Bee Spring Cemetery as Mary W.S.
Barnett, mother of Elijah Griffin Stovall 1806-1889 (who is also buried there.)
Her original burial marker reads "Mary Barnett" while a new marker reads "Mary
W. S. Barnett." Her father was William Wright, a possible Veteran of the
American Revolution Battle of Valley Forge and Drucilla Griffin. [Hence, her son
Elijah Griffin Stovall's middle name.]
The children of David and Mary include:
1. Josiah Stovall b. ca.1798 d. ca.1870-80 mar. Elizabeth "Betsy" Barnett.
2. William Stovall b. ca.1801 d. UNK, mar. Mary Ann Jackson
3. David Joseph Stovall, Jr. b.1803 d.1888 mar. Susan Barnett; Mary Elizabeth Mackey Thigpen
4. Thomas Stovall b. ca.1805 - died, unknown
6. Elijah Griffin Stovall b. 01 Nov 1806 - d. 15 Aug 1889, mar. 1831 Malinda Emily B. Mitchell, b. 18 Oct 1811 - d. 05 Nov 1888 (F.A.G.# 12261629)
Compiled by Trumpshallblow17@aol.com (Mary Bob McClain Richardson) To: WayneAL1@aol.com (C. Wayne Austin) Sent: 3 Jul 2012.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids