OLD MORRIS CHAPEL CEMETERY, LAWRENCE COUNTY ALABAMA
Morris Chapel United Methodist Church
The current Morris Chapel Methodist Church is located on Lawrence County Road 217, at the intersection of County Road 170. It was named for the beloved Rev. Moses S. Morris. This church is one of the oldest in Lawrence County, dating back to about 1852.
The original church was located about three miles east of the present site near Shoals Creek. The flooding of this creek is the reason for the relocation of the church.
Since the exact date of the first building cannot be determined we believe it was active in 1852 when the cemetery was started. About 1902 the membership, divided east from west by Shoals Creek, decided to physically move to the present location.
In January 1902 J.P. Sivley and wife, Jessie Meadows Sivley, sold to trustees of the North Alabama Conference about an acre of land for the nominal sum of $8.00.
Between 1902 and 1907 the old church was torn down and hauled by wagon and mules and rebuilt using the same lumber and stones. The members supplied the labor as they found time from their farm chores.
An article appearing in the Moulton Advertiser in 1890 states that Morris Chapel was the banner Democratic voting box of Lawrence County. The Democratic Executive Committee Chairman, J. P. Elliott was asked to recognize it as such.
A school building was built about 1910 just north of the church.
Robert and Molly Pitt Bryant donated one acre and Joe R. and Augusta Sivley donated one acre for the school building. The school remained open until 1938.
In 1937 a new church building was erected. The structure was remodeled in the 1960's. Each year on the 3rd Sunday in May, the church holds an Annual Homecoming celebration and decoration when we remember our church founders and honor the loved ones
buried there. A small congregation gathers at 10 a.m. each Sunday. We hope one day to again be a beacon to the community as this church was over one hundred years ago.
Submitted by: Alma Pitt, 20326 County Road 460, Trinity, AL 35673 and Researched by: Audrey Pitt, 3632 County Road 117, Trinity, AL 35673. Sources: Church register, Moulton Advertiser, Cemetery records, Court house records and knowledge gained from others.
One of the earliest known graves of the 'Old Morris Chapel Cemetery' is that of Hannah, wife of Pleasant Sivley,
born October 16, 1812. Mother of Rachel Ann Sivley Pitt.
HANNAH wife of Pleasant SIVEY, BORN OCT 16, 1812, DIED Oct 26, 1852. Rest Mother Sweet Rest while Friends oer Thee Weep . . ..
Condensed from the book Heritage of Lawrence County Alabama and other sources.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids