Search billions of records on
Main Home Page |  Main Genealogy Page |  Pedigree Families Page |
Edward Francis Mailon Guest 1830-1896 / Jane Walton 1841-1882
Edward Francis Guest 1858-1949 / Rebecca Butterworth
William James Guest 1885-1968 / Emma Sophia Williams
Jean Guest 1926 - 1984 / Gerald "R" Bryson
Thomas Walton 1793-1870 / Jane Rowley or Colley 1801-1889
Photographs of Edward Francis Mailon Guest and Jane Walton
Photograph of Edward Francis Guest
Photograph of William James Guest
Photograph of Jean Guest
Photographs of Thomas Walton and Jane Rowley or Colley
Edward Francis Mailon Guest History
Edward Francis Guest and Rebecca Butterworth History by LaRue Cowley Kevern
William James Guest History, contact me for his mission journal
Norina Maud Berry History, first wife of William James Guest
Thomas Walton History
Jean Guest History and Journal - these are large documents, contact me for copies
Walton/Price Family Web Page, very well done, lots of histories and pictures.
Within My Heart a Welcome Guest, pictures and contents on the Guest Family CD, Dec 2000.

 Edward Francis Mailon Guest and Jane Walton
 Edward Francis Guest
 William James Guest  
 Jean Guest 1926-1984

 Thomas Walton 1793-1870 and Jane Rowley or Colley 1801-1889


History compiled by Maureen Bryson, November 2000

The family tradition about Edward Francis Mailon Guest from Jean Guest Bryson's journal:
     My great-grandfather, Edward Francis Mailon Guest wrote:
           O Zion, the only land I prize
           Majestically your mountains stand
           Beneath those sunny skies.
     [This] is just part of a poem he wrote and Grandpa Guest memorized it and would recite it to us.  

Edward Francis Mailon Guest appears to have been christened in the Cobh (Queenstown) Catholic Cathedral, Cork, Ireland on 25 May 1828, son of Francis Guess and Johanna Mullane. Other family records give his birth as 24 May 1830, and 5 May 1830. William James Guest's records show his birth in Northumberland England, which is where he was living when he was first baptized, and the branch record at the time of his baptism give his birth place as #13 Havant Street, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England. His father was believed to have been a sailor, so the family may have lived for a time in Portsmouth before moving to Northumberland. Family records give his parents names as Francis Guest and Johanna Mailon, phonetically close enough to the names in the church register for this christening entry to most likely be his christening record.
     The church records also show a sister Johanna christened 25 September 1825, older than Edward, and a younger sister, Ellen, christened 20 February 1831. There was no christening found for his brother John or another possible sister named Mary, who is listed in the Ancestral File.
     His father apparently died when he was a young man. He went to sea, perhaps as a cabin boy or other seaman's apprentice, to relieve his mother of supporting him. There are copies of Merchant Seaman's Records [Kew PRO BT 116] which show an Edmund or Edward Guest, born at Queenstown. His age is given on the 1853-57 Voyages list is 18, so this is either not the right Edward Guest, or this was the age at which he enlisted. (Edward would have been 24 in 1852.) The voyages for 1853 and 1854 show him sailing twice on the Sarah Huntly (?) to Sunderland, and another voyage in between these two which is very faint on the copy and cannot be deciphered. So the name and the links to Queenstown and Sunderland fit, but the age does not match!
     After his apprenticeship or time of service was completed he went home, but found his family gone. A friend told him his mother and brother, John, had died; one sister married and moved to America; and the other sister moved to Wales. We have not been able to trace any of these family members.

Edward was first baptized "opposite the New Docks Ltd." on 23 April 1848, in the Sunderland Branch. He was baptized and confirmed by W. Knox. He would have been 20 years old at this time, if the christening entry is in fact his. Later Sunderland Branch Records show that he was "cut off" or excommunicated from the church on 22 Jan 1853, though no reason is given in the records for this action. A year later he was baptized again "in the River Where [Wear]" on 23 Feb 1854 by John Hare and confirmed by James Robson. An additional entry then shows his emigration to America on 26 Feb 1854.
     After coming to Utah he settled in the Millcreek portion of Salt Lake County. He lived with the Miller family and met and married Jane Walton, daughter of Thomas Walton and Jane Colley. She was the ninth and last child of this marriage. She and Edward had twelve children. Jane died the day the last baby was born, 26 April 1882, and the baby died four months later, leaving Edward with nine children to raise, as two other children had died as infants. There is no indication that he ever remarried. The oldest daughter, Mary Ellen, must surely have been a great help to her father. The oldest son, Edward Francis Guest, had married just the year before, and it may be that he and his wife, Rebecca Butterworth, may have helped with the younger children as well, though there is no history written of this.
     He is said to have been griefstricken with the loss of his wife and this last baby and the responsibility of the surviving children. It seems he had a nervous breakdown before he died fourteen years later on 4 August 1896. His son, Edward F. Guest, is said to have cried when recounting his father's condition.
     Edward F. M. Guest was supposedly the first constable/deputy-sheriff of Salt Lake. He was away from home quite a bit and when the Indians would come to their home on South West Temple Street, his wife, Jane, would run outside and yell, "Smallpox, smallpox!" and the Indians, who were hungry would ride away. They were very frightened of that disease, because in those days, it was so deadly.

Edward F. M. Guest was one of those recruited in Utah in 1862 by Captain Lot Smith during the Civil War to help protect the mail and telegraph lines. [A Bryson direct-line ancestor, Alley Stephen Rose, was also in this company.] Indian raiders had "destroyed all the mail stations between Ft. Bridger, Wyoming and the North Platte. They frequently attacked and robbed the mail coaches and ruthlessly murdered white people. The situation became very alarming, for the line of communication was cut of from Omaha, Nebraska, to San Francisco, California" (Margaret M. Fisher, Utah and the Civil War, Deseret Book, 1929, Preface). The commission to recruit men came from President Abraham Lincoln through Adjutant-General L. Thomas to Brigham Young and then to Lot Smith. Adjutant-General Thomas' telegram dated 28 April 1862 had the following request:

     You are requested to muster into the service of the United States a company of Utah volunteer cavalry, to arm and equip them immediately and send them East for the protection of the mail and telegraph lines extending from North Platte river below Independence Rock on the old Mormon pioneer trail to Fort Bridger (Fisher, p. 21).

     One hundred and six men were mustered in just two days to answer the call. They were sworn in on 30 April 1862 on the grounds at Temple Square and left Salt Lake City on 1 May. "The men furnished their own horses, bridles, saddles, and all equipment necessary for the service, at their own expense, something otherwise unknown in the history of the Civil War (Fisher, p. 22). "The expedition was no pleasure trip. The men encountered rough roads and rougher weather. They were called upon to endure almost unbearable hardships and bitter privations. Upon one occasion early in the march, they encountered ten feet of newly fallen snow. In many places the roads were almost impassable and had to be rebuilt. A number of bridges were washed out and had to be reconstructed. Wash-outs, floods, and storms impeded their progress and added to their distress and discomfort. But they did not complain. With cheerful hearts and brave souls they slowly but steadily marched to their destination. They reached Independence Rock from the North Platte twenty days after they left their homes" (Fisher, p. 26). The company returned to Salt Lake on 14 August 1862, serving a total of 106 days, one for each man in the original company.
     Utah and the Civil War contains the diaries of a several of the men who served in the company. However, only one reference to Edward Guest was found. In the diary of Dr. Harvey C. Hullinger, who was the physician and surgeon for the company, is the following entry:
     Salt Lake City, Wednesday, April 30. Removed to the southwest part of the city and camped. Here we were sworn in and organized. Ed Guest and I were appointed cooks for a mess of ten. The mess consisted of John P. Wimmer, John Neff, Edward F. M. Guest, Hiram B. North, James H. Gragun, Eph Williams, Leander Lemmon, Reuben P. Miller, Ben Neff and myself (Fisher, p. 39).

     His entry dated Tuesday, 6 May states: "The morning was bright and clear. We moved down across the Weber. We went to Chalk Creek and built a bridge. I quit the job as cook the day we camped on Chalk Creek" (Fisher p. 40). This presumably left "Ed Guest" to cook for their mess of ten men, possibly on his own!
     It should be noted that he left behind his wife, a 3½-year-old son, Edward Francis Guest, and a two-week-old baby, James Reuben Guest when he left on this 3-month assignment.
     During his life he was noted for his exceptional memory for the poems and songs he wrote. [We are trying to locate his poems]

     Jane died 26 April 1882 and Edward died 4 August 1896. Both he and his wife Jane are buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.

Their children:

1. Edward Francis Guest, see his own history.  Even though he was the first child, he outlived all his siblings except one. His sister, Rhoda died a month before he did and his brother, Orson Joseph  died almost exactly one year after Edward Francis.

2. Emma Jane Guest, born 5 April 1860 in Millcreek, died 15 May 1861.

3. James Reuben Guest, born 15 April 1862, Millcreek, died 20 April 1867.

4. Mary Ellen Guest, born 4 May 1864 in Millcreek, died 30 March 1919, Columbia Falls, Flathead, Montana. She was married first to John Boyle on 5 Feb 1889. She was married secondly to Louis Martin, but nothing is really known to our family about either of these spouses or if she had children.  [See Walton/Price page, above, for more information on this family.]

5. John Thomas Guest, born 26 June 1866 in Millcreek. He married Amanda Anderson on 23 November 1893 in Millcreek by James C. Hamilton. They had only two children who both died as infants: John Lester Guest, born 6 May 1895 and died 22 November 1895; and Amanda I. Guest, born 30 November 1896 and died 15 February 1897.
     John T. is listed as a farmer in the 1910 Salt Lake City Directory, living at 3470 S. 9th East.
     In 1914 John and Amanda were living in the Wilford Ward, Granite Stake on 9th East between 13th and 14th South [now 33rd and 39th South]. John held the priesthood office of teacher. Amanda died 12 November 1915. Her obituary from the Deseret News of Tuesday November 16th was very short: Mrs. Amanda Guest - In the Wilford ward chapel at 1 o'clock this afternoon funeral services were held for Mrs. Amanda Guest who died Friday. Burial was in the Mill Creek cemetery.  
     John is listed alone in the 1920 Church Census, priesthood still a teacher. His obituary in the Monday December 10th 1923 Deseret News reads: John T. Guest - At the home of W.O. Lundburg, 365 east Ninth South street, John T. Guest, formerly of Mill Creek, died Saturday [8 December]. he was born in this city in 1866 and for a number of years was watermaster at Mill Creek where he also engaged in farming.

6. Rhoda Ann Guest, born 12 September 1868 in Millcreek. She was married first to Charles Wheaton on 5 March 1889 in Salt Lake County. They apparently had two children, Howard Wheaton born about 1892 and Lola Wheaton born about 1894. She was married to a Dr. John Fulton about 1910 and moved to Kansas. She died in Iola Kansas on 11 June 1949, just one month before her oldest brother, they being the last but one (Orson Joseph) of their siblings left. Nothing more is known of her spouses or children. [See Walton/Price webpage, above, for more information on this family.]

7. David Mailon Guest, born 19 October 1870 in Millcreek. He was married in the Salt Lake Temple to Marintha Altheria Hart on 28 November 1900. They were the parents of nine children, all living to adulthood except the first little girl, Gladys Marintha, who lived only three days. They were living at 2147 South 7th East, in the Forest Dale Ward, Granite Stake. He held the priesthood office of Seventy in 1920 and was a High Priest by 1930. David died 30 March 1938 in Salt Lake City. He is listed in the 1910 Salt Lake City Directory as having a dairy on West Temple south of 14th [33rd] South. His obituary was in the Deseret News of Wednesday 30 March 1938 with a picture of him in a uniform of some type. The microfilm copy was very poor.

     David Malin Guest, 67, 2147 Seventh East Street, died today at 6 a.m. in a local hospital.
     Born in Salt Lake City, Oct. 19, 1869, the son of Edward F. and Jane Price [sic] Guest. Surviving are his wife, Marintha Hart Guest, five sons, David Russell, Howard, Derl, Elmer and Calvin Guest: two daughters Mrs. LaVon Remington and Miss Vivian Guest, all of Salt Lake. Also two grandchildren and two brothers, Edward F. and Orson J. Guest.
     Funeral services will be held Sunday at 12:15 p.m. in the Lincoln Ward Chapel with Bishop Willard Richards officiating. Burial will be in the Wasatch Lawn Burial Park.

His widow lived until 8 September 1966 of causes "incident to age." She was living at 41 South 900 East at the time of her death.  
     There are detailed histories of their children on the Walton/Price webpage at

8. Orson Joseph Guest, born 27 December 1872 in Millcreek. He was baptized 6 November 1882 by Andrew Helm and confirmed the same day by John F. Snedeker. He was ordained an elder on 11 August 1902 by Joseph C. Star. He married Harriet or Hettie Scott on 21 March 1900. They were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple on 1 March 1917. They had two children, Orson Harold Guest, born 15 January 1901 and died 7 December 1983; and Ila Goldie Guest, born 4 January 1904 and died 31 July 1963. They were living in the Moreland Ward, Blackfoot, Idaho Stake in 1914, Orson was an elder. In 1925 they were living at 205 W 33rd South in the Miller Ward, and in 1930 were at 3417 S West Temple, still in the Miller Ward. He was ordained a High Priest on 31 December 1933 by John S. Jones.
     Their children Orson Harold and Ila Goldie were both still listed as single in 1935, though Ila later married Edward L. Peters. Layne remembers the son Harold as being somewhat handicapped, walking with a limp up and down West Temple and having some evident learning disabilities, although he had been ordained a deacon by 1920. He died in 1983.
     Orson died 15 July 1950 in Salt Lake City of respiratoary and cardiac condition. He was buried at the Elysian Burial Gardens. Hettie lived until 27 July 1972. [See obituary.]   Layne recalls that during Aunt Hettie's funeral procession, there was an accident involving one of the motorcycle policemen who were escorting the cortege, resulting in the death of the policeman.

9. George Melvin Guest, born 7 May 1875 in Millcreek. Married Annie May Taylor in the Salt Lake Temple on 8 October 1902. They had seven children, but only three lived to adulthood. In the 1914 Church Census they were living at 4246 South State Street, in the Miller Ward. George was a Seventy. He is listed in the 1910 Salt Lake City Directory as having a dairy, at 4246 South State. In an earlier undated City Directory is is listed as a formen, at the same residence address. He was the 1st Assistant in the first Miller Sunday School, a branch of the Mill Creek Ward, in 1906. His niece, Mary Jane Guest, was the Secretary.
     George died at age 40 on 5 November 1915. His oldest son, Ernest Melvin, died 5 weeks later on 18 December 1915, leaving his wife with three young children, ages 2, 9, and 12 to raise. In the 1920 Church Census she is living at 3490 South State, still in the Miller Ward. She lived until 9 January 1972, having outlived all her children who had died in 1938, 1964, and 1968. Layne Bryson remembers that he used to mow her lawn when he was about 16, around 1966. She was then living at 3329 South West Temple up until her death.

10. Elizabeth Emily Guest, born 4 August 1877 in Millcreek. She was married about 1898 to Ralph Beyle or Remple. No record of this marriage has been found, and nothing else is known about him. The Ancestral File lists two husbands, Ralph Rumple and Ralph Beyle, and no children are listed for either marriage. She died 1 August 1946.

11. Charles William Guest, born 22 September 1880 in Millcreek. He was married to Florence Frankland on 19 December 1906. [Some records show her surname as Franklin, bur Frankland is correct.] They had two children; Dorothy Emily born 10 July 1908 and Charles Frankland born 12 Mar 1912.
     In an undated Salt Lake City Directory he is listed as a clerk with the R M. Bell Tel Co, residing on West Temple near 14th [33rd] South. In the 1910 City Directory he is listed as an employee of R M Bell Tel. Co. residing at 12 Keywor Ct.
     On Monday, 27 October 1913 Charles died in an accident. The Deseret News of 28 October had a full story about his death.
     A follow-up article on Monday, 3 November said: "Funeral services for Charles W. Guest who was accidentally killed last Monday were held at the Forest Dale meeting house yesterday afternoon. Bishop James Jensen presided. The speakers were Walter Riddle, Bishop J. D. Cummings of the Willard ward, Harold Smoot and Bishop Brigham Price. Special music was rendered by the ward choir. Burial was in the city cemetery."
     Florence lived until 29 August 1966, having never remarried.

12. Jane Guest, born 26 April 1882 in Millcreek and died 25 August 1882.

Reminiscences by LaRue Kevern, 1987
[Additional information added in italics.]

Edward Francis Guest and Rebecca Butterworth courted in the old fashioned way - by horse and buggy. After they met and became serious about each other, he would travel up east to see her. He lived about 3500 South West Temple and she lived just east of 23rd East on 33rd South. There is a ball field there now.
     Edward Francis Guest had been born on 9 November 1858 in on the corner of Thirty Third South and West Temple Streets in Millcreek, Salt Lake County, Utah, the first of twelve children of Edward Francis Mailon Guest and Jane Walton. He was blessed by Reuben Miller on 10 April 1859. He was baptized 16 Jun 1867 by his father and confirmed the same day by J. F. Snedaker. He lived in that same area all of his life. His deceased membership record give a baptism date of 2 December by Edward F. M. Guest, and confirmation the same date by Cornelius Green. This was during a time when many members of the church were "rebaptized" as a sign of commitment to the covenants they had made, so this is likely what this was. He was ordained an Elder on 21 October 1876 by William J. Smith, ordained a Seventy on 20 September 1910 by George F. Richards, and ordained a High Priest 11 Feb 1917 by Tobe Felkins.
     Rebecca Butterworth was born 6 February 1862 at Winwick Lodge in the parish of Winwick, Huntingdonshire, England, the eighth of ten children of William Butterworth and Mary Rose. She emigrated with her parents and all but the two oldest children on 7 September 1870. She was baptized 18 November 1873 in the 4th Ward by Charles Davey, her oldest sister Sarah Rose's husband, and confirmed by Thomas Jenkins.
     Edward was a tall man, standing 6 feet tall in the prime of his life. Rebecca was 5 feet even. Edward had coal black hair, even until he died. Rebecca had snow white hair pinned in a bun at the back of her head. They were a handsome couple [Jean Guest Bryson Journal, JGBJ].
     Rebecca appears to have been from a better than average family financially, and Edward from an average one. They were married on 13 December 1881 and endowed and sealed in the Endowment House on 13 April 1882 by Daniel H. Wells. Edward's mother passed away only about 4 months after their marriage, on 26 April 1882, and their first child, Edward Mailon Guest, was born about 5 months after this, on 17 September 1882. Rebecca was pregnant when her husband's baby sister, Jane, was born, and it must have been very hard on her to see that beautiful mother and baby die.
     Rebecca was called as the first Relief Society President when the Miller Ward was created in March 1907.  [Miller Ward History]. She was a very "emotionable" woman. That is, she was very empathetic to those with any kind of a problem. She was also quite panic-stricken if anything happened to her family. She loved children and they all loved her. At one time she took granddaughters LaRue and Jean on her back and pretended to be a bear. (A toothless bear, because she had removed her false teeth.) We rode all around her kitchen on her back. We were squealing joyfully, and she was growling as she crawled. She must have been pretty tired out when we finished our ride. She loved her grandchildren.
     Once while baking bread, William James was in his cradle. Rebecca noticed an Indian standing at her door, and he came in. He asked for some of the bread, and when he was told it was not done and he couldn't have it, he drew his knife and placed it at Will's throat, and demanded the bread or he would kill the baby. At that moment Edward rode up on his horse, scaring away the Indian. When he heard what had happened, he got on his horse and chased the Indian all the way down the street, shipping him with his horse whip all the way. He wouldn't stand for such a thing to happen to his family.
     Another time an Indian came to the house demanding food when Rebecca was alone with the children. She thought for a second, then yelled "Small Pox! Small Pox!" and the Indian, fearing that dread disease, fled for his life. [JGBJ].
     Edward was a hard worker, and if ever he sold anything, he always gave the "Baker's Dozen." Their faith was tested many times. Once they only had enough money to buy some butter or pay their tithing because he was out of work. When he questioned Rebecca about what he should do, they decided to pay their tithing. The very next day a man came to their house and offered him a job at the Midvale smelter. He worked there for quite a few years.  Edward was a wise and very calm man, but he had a temper that he kept to himself most of the time.
     One time Edward was out of a job for some time and they only had 25 cents left. They had six children to feed and clothe. Rebecca asked him if he would go to the store and buy a pound of butter with the last money they had. As he was riding to the store on his horse, he remembered he owed tithing. With the 25 cents he headed for the ward house. Someone was usually there during the day. The clerk was in his office when Edward arrived.
     He knew Rebecca would be upset if he didn't com home with the butter, but he knew he wouldn't feel right if the tithing wasn't paid. The ward clerk told Edward to hang on to the 25 cents because they might really need it before he could find a job, but no, he was determined to pay it, as the Lord had commanded all of His children.
     When he arrived home Rebecca and the children were seated at the table waiting for Edward and the butter. When he told her he paid his tithing instead of getting butter, she also was relieved. As they finished the blessing on the food they were about to eat, they heard a horse nearing the house and a young boy's voice calling, "Mr. Guest!"
     Edward went out to see what was going on and the boy told him his father had sent him to ask Edward if he would work for him. Edward gladly told him he would be glad to work for him. He worked for that man for years.
     Edward always told his family to pay their tithing, because the Lord really does take care of you if you obey His commandments.
     He would recite poetry his father, Edward Francis Mailon Guest, had composed. Beautiful poems. He had them all memorized. The grandchildren loved to hear them.
     Edward was a hard worker. He was never idle. He had big fine garden, cows, a horse, chickens, pigs, cats, and dogs. Will's children, Lloyd, Vaughn, and Jean lived next door and their job was cleaning the chicken coops. They hated that job. There was never a dirtier job created than cleaning chicken coops [JGBJ].
     He is listed in a pre-1910 Salt Lake City Directory as a foreman, residing on West Temple near 14th [33rd] South. In 1910 he is listed as a farmer, living on West Temple south of 14th [33rd] South. He was instrumental in organizing Miller Ward and was been an ardent booster for civic progress in the Mill Creek area.
     He was still a hearty speaker well into his 80s, and told of the development of the community and how, when he was a small lad, he could count the number of dwellings on State Street from Seventh South to Thirty-third on his 10 fingers. He told of his younger days, playing baseball at the old Church Farm with other pioneers, including Pres. Heber J. Grant.
     He was among the first to pioneer the Cottonwood Canyons from where he hauled the winters supply of wood. Each trip by wagon and through the sage country took four days. He explained that bear hunting and fishing were “tops” in those days.
     When he was 73 years old he was still working. He was the custodian and building engineer for what now is Pyke Manufacturing Company. In earlier days they made mostly men's work clothes. Today they make mostly women's sportswear. When their granddaughter, LaRue Kevern, was a little girl, her mother took her up to the old building on 1st South and 1st West to ride on the elevator - that was a big occasion. They rode uptown on the streetcar, which only went as far south as 33rd South and State Street, then came home in her grandfather's old, old car. The make of the car was "Star" and must have been made in the early 1920's.
     One day the company person took Grandpa home because he had suffered a stroke which paralyzed one side of his body. They thought he would never survive, but he did and lived almost another 15 or 20 years. It was when he couldn't do anything to help himself and his sweetheart, that his daughter, Verna M. Guest Cowley, and her family moved into the old family home and assisted them.
     Rebecca suffered a fatal heart attack at Sunday School, 11 August 1935. She had a bad heart, and had been having some trouble with it. One Sunday she felt like she would go to Sunday School even if she was having trouble. During Sunday School she had problems breathing, so she was taken out on the back steps of the Miller Ward house to see if she could breathe better. She still couldn't get her breath, so they took her home and laid her on the lawn in the shade. She died there [JGBJ]. It was a warm summer day, and because the Junior Sunday School was being held in the gym of the old Blaine School, her granddaughters, LaRue Cowley Kevern and Jean Guest Bryson, did not know she had died until they got home. LaRue remembers seeing her lying on her bed where LaRue's father had carried her. Verna had changed her and washed her and she had a sheet on her up to her shoulders. LaRue was only 8 at the time, but remembers it very clearly.
     In those days the viewing prior to the funeral was held in the person's home. Because at that time there was a very narrow hall in the house, the men had to pass her casket through the south front room window. Her funeral was held in the old Miller Ward Chapel on 33rd South between Main Street and State Street.
There were articles in the Deseret News to announce the 81st and 90th birthday celebrations for Edward F. Guest.
     When Edward was 90, a rooster was chasing one of his favorite hens. Edward chased the rooster, shaking his cane at it, and at that time, really displayed his temper. He tripped on the stump of a tree and broke his shoulder. He was in the hospital when a blood clot formed and went to his heart and it killed him, with coal black hair, and still very active until his last breath [JGBJ]. Edward F. Guest's death was the result of a fall against the little house in the rear of 3517 South West Temple. He struck his shoulder, which crumbled like chalk, and died 5 days later on 12 July 1949 of pneumonia. He had one massive bruise from his shoulder to his hip. His sister, Rhoda, who lived in Kansas, died just the day before him. Verna received a letter from her family the day of Edward's funeral. I'll bet he was surprised to see her on the other side of the veil. Even though he was the oldest child, he had outlived all but one of his brothers and sisters. (Orson died a year later) Edward is buried in the Elysian Burial Gardens, in Murray, Utah.
See his obituaries and transcription of his funeral.  
Information on the children of Edward Francis Guest and Rebecca Butterworth, from Jean's Notes, Church Census records, ward records, etc.

1. Edward Mailon Guest, born 17 September 1882, blessed by Edward White. Baptized 6 November 1890 by B. F. Price, confirmed same day by John Cook. Married Ada Cook 17 June 1908 in the Salt Lake Temple. He had been endowed 7 November 1904. Ordained an elder 7 November 1904 by his father, Edward F. Guest. He served a mission to New Zealand, returning on 1 July 1907. He was ordained a High Priest on 26 July 1904 by Melvin J. Ballard. He served as President of the Miller Ward Elder's Quorum from 1911 to 4 Jan 1914.
     He is listed in a pre-1910 Salt Lake City Directory as a teamster for Husler's Flour Mill. In 1910 he is listed as a forman for the packing department of National Biscuit Company, who he worked for for many, many years. His address in 1910 in 4342 South State. He died of a stroke on 16 April 1953 [deceased membership record says 16 March] and was buried 20 April in Twin Falls, Idaho. See his obituary.   
     They had four children: Edward Mailon Jr. born 10 September 1909; Ruth Norma born 9 October 1912; Evelyn born 4 Feb 1918, and Francis LaMar born 24 May 1922. There is a name E. M. Guest, born 30 August 1914 listed on the membership record for Ada Cook Guest, but it was crossed off. Other family records do not show a child with this birthdate. Her membership record says she died at Riverside, California, the obituary said she died in Orange.
2. William James Guest. See his history.
3. Mary Jane Guest, known as May, was born 15 July 1888 and blessed by O. T. Lemmon 6 September 1888. She was baptized 3 September 1896 by George Fairbourn, confirmed 3 September 1896 by Daniel Lund. She is listed in a pre-1910 Salt Lake City Directory as an employee at the Royal Laundry, boarding at West Temple near 14th [33rd] South. She was called as the first secretary of the Miller Sunday School, a branch of the Mill Creek Ward in 1906. She married Austin Porter Miller on 20 September 1911 in the Salt Lake Temple. Mary Jane died 3 January 1931 and was buried 5 January. Her obituary [see copy]   was dated 3 January 1931. Her husband died 27 August 1967. They had four children; Austin Jr., Harold, Eldon, and Donna. Harold (Hack) was a sports column writer for the Deseret News for many years.
4. John Earl Guest b. 28 June 1891, blessed 6 August 1891 by Jens Hansen. Baptized by Richard C. Towler 2 July 1899, confirmed same day by Jens Hansen. Married Edna Sharlotte Duncomb 8 July 1912. All family records list her name as Edna Sharlotte or "Birdie" as she was known. But on the marriage license her name is listed as Bertha Duncomb and she signed her name Bertha Duncomb! They were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple on 12 September 1912. They had four children: Cleo Earl born 10 April 1913; Wayne Duncomb born 1 April 1915, Denslow (Denny) Duncomb born 26 March 1918; and Wesley Duncomb born 24 April 1924. (All four birthdays were within four weeks!)
     He was living in Manti, Utah in 1920 and held the priesthood of elder. In 1925 they were living in the Idaho Falls 2nd Ward, at 179 16th Street. In 1930 they were at 529 Redondo, Salt Lake, in the Wells Ward, Grant Stake and in 1935 they were at 457 East 33rd South in the Wandemere Ward, Grant Stake. He was ordained a High Priest 12 December 1954 by Ferdinand Billeter. Aunt "Birdie" died 5 April 1956 of an enlarged heart.
     Earl married Sarah Viva Carlisle on 10 March 1959, license from Salt Lake County. She had been married twice previously to a Mr. Giles and a Mr. Sweat. Uncle Earl died in Salt Lake on 7 June 1970.
5. Dessie Rebecca Guest was born 20 June 1895 and blessed 1 August 1895 by James C. Hamilton. She was baptized 1 August 1903 by Edward Steadman and confirmed 2 August by John Morgan. She married Clyde Henry Peck 20 February 1915 and was sealed in the Salt Lake Temple 29 March 1916. They had three daughters and one son. Dessie died 17 April 1960 and Clyde died 30 October 1976.
     Around 1950 they moved the house they were living in to a lot at 21 Guest Avenue (near 35th South between State and Main Streetswhere they lived until their new house on Wander Lane in Holladay was built. both Vaughn Guest and Jean Guest Bryson also lived in that house at 21 Guest Avenue.
6. Verna Mosely Guest was born 29 September 1901 and blessed by James C. Hamilton on 3 November 1901. She was baptized 6 November 1909 by Leroy Shepherd and confirmed 7 November 1909 by Lewis O. Clark. She married Willard Seymour Cowley 17 June 1925 in the Salt Lake Temple. They had one daughter and two sons: LaRue, Don, and Richard. Verna died 18 May 1966 and Uncle Willard died 6 Oct 1973. Verna and Willard and their family moved in with and took care of her father, Edward F. Guest, for the remainder of his life after her mother, Rebecca, died. See Verna's and Willard's obituaries.  


William James Guest was born on 5 October 1885 in Millcreek, Salt Lake County, Utah (3517 South West Temple), the second of six children of Edward Francis Guest and Rebecca Butterworth. Two delayed  birth certificates  exist for him, one issued 4 March 1942, from the Church Historian's Office signed by Joseph Fielding Smith, and the other issued 12 April 1942 by the Miller Ward.  He was blessed 3 December 1885 by Bishop James C. Hamilton. The family home and farm was located at 3517 South West Temple in the area called Millcreek or Mill Creek, which was in the Millcreek Ward and was later the Miller Ward. He was the second of six children.
     One day while the infant William was sleeping in his crib a large Indian walked into the home and placed a knife at his throat and demanded that Rebecca give him some flour and sugar. Since Edward was away working she gave the Indian what he wanted and he left. There were numerous accounts of Indians coming into the home and asking for or demanding food.          
     William went to elementary school at the Carlisle School, a two-room adobe school house which was located on West Temple just south of 39th South on the west side of the road. Another school was later built just south of the adobe building where he attended the higher grades. There was a slue located west of the buildings that was an abundant source of frogs and mosquitoes. He completed the eighth grade in June 1903, with Franklin Bell as principal.
     A genealogy on the back of his elder's ordination certificate says he was baptized on 5 October 1893 by Chilian L. Miller in the Big Ditch and confirmed the same say by Daniel Lund. It also lists his ordination to deacon on 22 February 1899 by Jens Hanson, but there were no certificates for these among the files. On 18 December 1904 he was ordained a teacher in the Aaronic Priesthood by James C. Hamilton, bishop of the Mill Creek Ward. He was ordained a priest on 2 May 1907 by Charles H. Spencer.  A. M. Hill was bishop of the ward at that time, with George A. Smith [not President George A. Smith] as the ward clerk. He was ordained an elder  by his father on 3 August 1908 in the Miller Ward, becoming a member of the 19th Quorum of Elders. He was ordained by his father, Edward F. Guest. Geo. W. Rhodes was president of the quorum, with E[dward]. T[homas]. Walton, a cousin, secretary of the quorum.
     As a youth he liked to run and told of many times running home from events at the original Salt Palace which was located at 9th South and Main. He was also very fond of his horse named Button.
     As a young man, before he went on his mission, he drove a team of horses and worked with his father, Edward, on various construction sites around the city. Two of these projects were the Hotel Utah that opened in June 1911, and the LDS Hospital. Edward was a construction foreman noted for his industry and integrity.
     Will also attended the Latter-day Saints Business College and received a two year certificate  in Bookkeeping, graduating on 26 May 1910. On 4 September 1910 he received his patriarchal blessing under the hands of Harrison Sperry and was endowed in the Salt Lake Temple on 15 September 1910.
     William was called to the Swiss and German mission, receiving his Minister's Certificate on 20 September 1910.  It was signed by Joseph F. Smith, Anthon H. Lund, and John Henry Smith [Maureen Smith Bryson's great-grandfather!]  There was quite a party held for him before his departure. There were ten musical numbers, a recitation, a speaker, and remarks from the missionary.  
     He left October 12, 1910 and served until 1913. In Jean's papers were two visas issued while on his mission. They are large documents, 11-3/4 x 17-1/4 inches. The visa  shown is the one issued in October 1912, while in Germany, and was good for two years. It says, "United States of America, Department of State, To all to whom these presents shall come, Greeting: I, the undersigned, Secretary of State of the United States of America, hereby request all whom it may concern to permit William J. Guest a Citizen of the United States safely and freely to pass and in case of need to give him all lawful Aid and Protection. Given under my hand and the Seal of the Department of State, at the City of Washington, the 25th day of October in the year 1912 and of the Independence of the United States the one hundred and thirty seventh. /s/ ??Knox. William's signature and also a detailed description of him are also on this document.
     Age 27 Years
     Stature 5 Feet 3½ Inches Eng.
     Forehead high
     Eyes brown-gray
     Nose large
     Mouth medium
     Chin round
     Hair black
     Complexion dark
     Face medium     
     He sailed to Liverpool from Quebec on 1 October 1910 on the R.M.S. Laurentic. A small booklet listing the main officers on the ship, and all the second class passengers was among the souvenirs. (There must have been a separate booklet for the first class passengers.) In the booklet, Will wrote next to the names of about a third of the passengers notes about where they were going or something about them. A few of the entries read: Miss Caws, Girl I met on Boat; Miss L. Harrison, Friend of Miss Stone to Eng. home; Mrs. Florence Simpson and Master Norman Simpson, Lady and baby to Eng.; Mr. Woodruff Sorenson, Scandanavia [sic]. On the back of the booklet he kept a daily record of their location in longitude and latitude and how many miles they had gone.
     His mission president was Hyrum H. Valentine. He had a hard time learning the German language, and he was very discouraged and didn't want to go tracting because of it. One day he was resting and fell asleep, and had a dream.
     All of the people in the town were rushing down the street to a place where a platform had been built in the middle of the road. Will followed them to see what it was they were so excited about. As they neared the platform he saw there was a man on it, and it was Jesus Christ. When the people settled down, and all of them were there, the Savior asked if there was anyone there that could tell the crowd what they were preaching. Several men went up, and in turn, told what their church believed, etc. After all of them were through, the Savior said, "Isn't there a representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints here?"
     Will was standing in the back of a great big German man, and when the Savior said that, Dad got as far out of sight as he could, because he couldn't speak German and he was very afraid of making a fool of himself.
     Again the Savior said, "Isn't there a representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints here?" When Dad peered around the big German, he was the Savior's eyes right on him, so he meekly raised his hand, and he was invited to come to the stand.
     As Dad was walking up to the platform he was thinking, "I can't speak German, I don't remember the scriptures as well as I should. What can I tell them?" He had never in his life been so nervous and scared. When Dad was up on the platform he was told to tell the people what he had come to Germany to preach. He opened his mouth and words (German words) flowed fluently from him as he quoted scriptures one after another. Some of the scriptures, he learned as a child. He told them all about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
     When he had finished, the Savior told the people, "This man has told you the truth. He preaches the same gospel as I did. Listen to him." At that instant, Will woke up from the dream.
        The very next time he and his companion went tracting, Dad spoke perfect German. He never again had any trouble with the language, or remembering scriptures.
     Another time Will and his companion tracted out a doctor. They talked him into inviting some friends over for a discussion. The doctor told them he had some friends who were ministers and he would invite them. He also promised that the missionaries would have equal time.
     At the appointed time they went to the doctor's home, and sure enough there were about four ministers and the doctor sitting around a table. They invited the missionaries to sit with them. As the discussion began, the ministers took over and wouldn't let Will or his companion get a word in to defend the Church. When they (the ministers) were through, they got up from the table to leave, and the doctor told them, "I promised these missionaries equal time. Now sit down and listen to them."
     When they were again seated, Will and his companion took turns reading scriptures from the Bible in answer to the minister's remarks. They would flip the Bible open and read a scripture and say, "Now you said this," and they would flip the pages right to another scripture, as fast as they could talk.
     Pretty soon the doctor started to fall asleep. He jumped off his chair as if someone had stuck him with a hat pin. He never dozed again. Only once did the missionaries have to turn one page. They always turned right to the correct scripture.
       The Spirit of the Lord was truly with them, because the ministers, after they were through admitted the missionaries had the truth, but they were too old to change their profession.
       In July of 1912, while in Lubeck, he saw Ferdinand Von Zeppelin flying his aircraft that was the forerunner of the Zeppelin lighter-than-air vehicles. Some of these aircraft were used in air raids against Great Britain in World War I. In late August 1912, while in Hamburg, he had appendicitis  and had his appendix removed. Recuperation took about a month.
     He kept a  journal  on his mission from 21 January 1912 to 24 March 1913 while serving in Lubeck and Dresden. Besides writing about his appendicitis attack and operation, he also recorded a total  eclipse  of the sun and talked about going to operas, zoos, and swimming!!
     Also during this time, 1 July 1912, he received a letter  from a Sister Breitling who lived in Pforzheim. She talked about getting subscribers for the Church's German magazine, "der Stern." She struggles with writing in the "Latin" script rather than using the old German script, which Will evidently did not understand.
     He received a letter  dated 5 April 1913 from the European Mission Headquarters in Liverpool, England. Will had written regarding his travel arrangements to go home. This request evidently should have come from the mission president, but they were able to accommodate his request because of a cancellation right as Will's letter was received. He came home on the S. S. Corsican of the Allan Line. His note on the back of the postcard with a painting of the ship says, "The ship I came home on in May 1913 W.J. Guest." He received two letters of release from his mission. He was released 2 May 1913. The first letter  was evidently sent to him or perhaps given to him by President Valentine as he left Germany. The second  was mailed to him home in Salt Lake, "Calders Station," Utah. Both letters indicate he had filled an honorable and successful mission.
     After returning from his mission Will worked for the Progress Realty & Building Company and the Progress Security & Trust Company as a bookkeeper.
     Will was ordained a Seventy  on 21 February 1917. He was ordained by Jonathan G. [J. Golden] Kimball. The signatures of Seymour B. Young and J. G. Kimball on the certificate were not original signatures, but stamps. He was called as a stake missionary in the Granite Stake for two years, being set apart on 29 March 1917 by Orrin L. Miller.
     When Will was about fifteen years of age, an English family, Lewis and Sarah Berry, [the Berry Family] moved next door to him. They had a nine or ten-year-old daughter by the name of Norina Maud Berry. She was a cute little girl who played with Will's younger sisters. One day he told her in a kidding way, "If you are a good girl, some day I'll take you through the temple."
     When he got home from his mission, the MIA was going to have a party, so Will invited one of his girlfriends to go with him. Now, his mother, Grandma Guest, was a very sly woman. She asked Will if she and Maud could ride home with him. He told her he had to take his girlfriend home, but she told him she didn't mind. She and Maud would sit in the back seat of the buggy. (He couldn't get out of that.)
     They took the girlfriend home, and while Will was seeing her to the door, Grandma and Maud got in the front. Maud next to Will. (Grandma saw to that.) On the way home Will realized Maud wasn't a little girl any more. She was a pretty young lady.
     Well, he fell in love with her and asked her to marry him. He fulfilled his promise to her. He took her to the Salt Lake Temple and they were sealed for time and all eternity on 28 March 1917. They lived with her father at 3549 S. West Temple. Her mother died before their marriage.  Return to Maud Berry History.
     Maud's father was killed only two months later on 26 May 1917 when he fell down an elevator shaft where he was working. Will paid his funeral expenses.  
     Will and Maud's son, Milton Berry Guest, was born on November 2, 1918 and lived only two hours. He was given a name and blessing by Dr. J. Lloyd Woodruff. Maud lived for three days and then she died also. She died pneumonia and complications of the flu. Because of the terrible epidemic that year all meetings were canceled, consequently, there was no funeral. Burial services were held five days later. [See Maud's history.] Will was also sick with the flu. They brought Maud to the window and Will viewed her for the last time before she was taken, with Milton, to the Elysian (at that time it was the Millcreek Cemetery) Burial Gardens.  The bill  from the C. H. Banks Undertaking Company for the funeral is a story in itself, listing the casket and services rendered for Maud, as well as “1 Small Casket” which cost $12. The bill for $127, including a $10 discount, was paid in full on 27 November 1918. Two receipts  dated February 1920 and 30 May 1920 show payment of $4 for "Hydrant Rent for 1920 in Cemenetary [sic] on four lot[s]" and $20 for lot 72 Plat B Mill Creek Cemenatry [sic]."
     Another legal transaction had taken place during this time also. The land which Maud had "purchased" for $1 from her father in 1914, was "sold" to Will on 1 November 1918 for the same amount, $1. They were surely more than very aware of the possibility that Maud's illness could end the way so many flu victims had that year and made sure the land would clearly go to Will.
     Will had registered for the draft on 12 September 1918. On the back of his draft card  is a note, "Official Draft No. 415." The card was issued by the Local Board No. 2, Salt Lake County, Murray, Utah.
     "Aunt Maud," as she was lovingly called, had taken nurse's training. One of the other nurses and a very dear friend was Emma Sophia Williams, who would visit Aunt Maud and Dad, and they would visit her in Taylorsville.
     After Aunt Maud died, Dad went over to see Emma and thirteen months later he asked her to marry him. On December 10, 1919 William married Emma Sophia Williams in the Salt Lake Temple. They were married by Joseph Fielding Smith and the witnesses were Thomas Biesinger and Peter J. Sandberg. Emma's brother Ray, had died nine days earlier, so it was a quiet wedding. Emma's father had told them not to wait to be married.
     Their first child was a stillborn male born October 28,1920 at 4:00 p.m. attended by Dr. Rothwell. This little boy was buried in the Elysian Burial Gardens at 8:00 a.m. on october 29. Will is listed as the "acting undertaker" with Austin P. Miller assisting. The second child was Lloyd Williams Guest born February 11,1922. Vaughn Williams Guest born August 2, 1924 and Jean Guest born February 1, 1926 completed the William J. Guest family. During this time, on 7 November 1922, Will was called as a stake missionary in the Granite Stake.
     Will and Emma lived in the same home that he and Maud had lived in. It had been the home of Maude's parents (Lewis and Sarah Tidswell Berry) before they died. The Berrys had purchased the land from John W. Price and his wife Eliza on October 16, 1903. The lot was from Main Street to West Temple at 3549 South, just south of Edward F. Guest’s farm.
     In 1929 William had a local contractor, Walter Rowsell, build a new home  on the property at 3549 South West Temple by digging a basement and moving the two front rooms of the old house onto the footings. He then added new bedrooms, bath and kitchen to the old section. The total cost of the project was approximately $3,000. A complete description of the lot was given on the 1967 power of attorney.  "Com[mencing] 10.13 r[o]ds N of SW cor[ner] of lot 6, Bl[oc]k 16, 10 Ac[res]. Plat A, B[ig].F[ield]. Sur. N 7.27 rds E 42 rds S 7.27 rds W 42 rds to beg[inning] 2 Ac. tax notice 16-1163" and "Com 33 ft W & 168.55 ft S fr NE cor Lot 6, Blk 16, 10 Ac Plat 'A', Big Field Sur, S 118.55 ft; W 263 ft; N 118.55 ft E 263 ft to beg. 0.72 Ac Tax notice 16-1166."
     There was an artesian well  on the property that was 300 feet deep, with a 2-inch diameter pipe.  It produced very cold clear water for all the years the family lived there.  It was located about 30 feet from the southeast corner of the house described above.
     A copy of the driver's license  Will received on 12 December 1933 was among Jean's papers. It was "good until revoked." Eye exams expiring in 1956, 1968, and 1971 are noted along with a restriction added at some time that Will was restricted to "Daylight driving only and not to exceed 40MPH."  
     A letter  written on 19 June 1935 to Mr. Percy Goddard of the Goddard Abby Company, was basically a summary of Will's employment history to that point. After leaving the Progress Security Company the year before his marriage, he had worked at the Utah Knitting Company, the Consolidated Music Company, McDonald Chocolate, Cleveland Household Supply, Smith Faus Drug Company. In 1927 he started working for the County Treasurer's office and was there until at least 1935.
     William was extensively involved in the grass roots Republican party. This helped him obtain his job in the county treasurers office in the City and County Building located between 4th and 5th South on State in Salt Lake City. He worked there until the Democrats and the F. D. Roosevelt administration took over most of the political jobs in the area in 1935.
     The depression years were extremely difficult for William since there was very little employment around and he was too proud to sign up for the Democratic make-work programs such as the W.P.A. The family survived these years on the small acreage by raising corn, potatoes, tomatoes and other garden products that Emma dried or preserved for use throughout the year. Cows, pigs, and rabbits provided milk products and meat for a somewhat balanced diet. Cash was very scarce and was earned from small part-time jobs and by selling automobile insurance for Farmers Insurance Group. Will and his sons also did house painting in trade for some cash and wheat which was taken to the mill and ground into flour. In the early 1930s Will’s friend, Jay Worthington, helped with building a barn for the cows and pigs. Jay received a cow for his labor.
     Around Thanksgiving time there was usually at least one rabbit hunt with all those of the Guest and Cowley families that could carry a gun. Skull Valley, Park Valley, and Wyoming were the favorite places to go.
     On 22 April 1937 Will received his Social Security  number, 529-05-7647.
     Among Jean's papers was a note  from Will to Emma. It was on a paper torn from a small top-bound spiral notebook, and said, "Emma, Please give Mr. Miller 2.50 for coal we bot about 1 yr ago.   Will." Then there is a note on the bottom, "10/11/41 Paid 2.50 R. E. Miller."
     Zion’s Bank held the mortgage on the home and Will had made arrangements to pay only the interest during the depression years. The mortgage was paid off after World War II started and Will had steady employment at the Remington Arms Plant and as quartermaster at the Army Air Base. He later worked as a security guard for United Airlines. A certificate  issued 23 January 1945 by the Chief of Police of Salt Lake City authorized Will as a "special policeman" working at the airport.
     Will and Emma’s oldest son, Lloyd, entered the mission home on February 16, 1942 to begin his mission to the California Mission. In the spring of 1943 their second son, Vaughn, entered the armed forces and served in the Army Air Corps throughout the war in North Africa and Europe. Following his mission Lloyd entered the army and served in the U. S. and India as a radio operator. From Sister Freda Baker's diary  we learn that in May 1929, "Bro. Guest, who had been the janitor at the ward started working at the Small Arms plant on Redwood Road."
     The following is a letter  written from Emma and Will to Lloyd.
3549 So W. Temple
Nov. [probably 1944]

Dear Lloyd,
     I have missed a few Monday writing to you but today I thot if I could stay awake long enough I would send you a few words anyway. I have to take Penobarbital to make me feel restful and sleepy all the time so I act sort of dopey most of the time.
     We had a snowstorm after Thanksgiving which makes it quite cold but the sun is shining a little today.
     Well I will just take it for granted that you know all the things I would like to say to you and go back to my sleeping. Take care of yourself and love and best wishes to you always. Mother
[over, in Will’s writing]
Dear Lloyd=Just a few lines to let you know that I am thinking of you and wishing you were here to give me your advise [sic] regarding mother. The Dr. said not to tell her but she keeps asking me what the doctor said about her and why he neglects coming as often as a Dr. would under general conditions. He does not want to run up a bill on us unnecessarily. I know he would come oftener if he could do her any good. She said this morning—Did the Dr. say I couldn’t get well again, and if there was no hope for me.
     If it were I who was in such a condition I certainly would want to know so I could put in order all my business etc. You may put a note to me in a letter you write to Verna and tell her to hand it to me, so she won’t know. Let me know your opinion on this will you? As I don’t want to do anything contrary to good judgement.
     If you know when you are going to get your furlough let me know, as we don’t want to get you out of school before you have finished and get your appointment or assignment. If you desire a furlough then and can’t get it, let me know and I will go to the Red Cross for you.
     Well, keep up the good work. We are proud of you, Vaughn & Jean. Jean knows this and I have written Vaughn telling him all about it.
          Love Dad.

     Emma died on Saturday, January 13, 1945 of heart problems as a result of having had rheumatic fever as a youth.
     On June 27, 1945 Will married Hazel Ilene White in the Salt Lake Temple. They were married by David O. McKay and the witnesses were Albion W. Caine and Albert E. Hopkinson. Hazel was a granddaughter of Apostle Orson Hyde and had worked in the county treasurers office during the time Will worked there. She was born 8 November 1889 in Salt Lake City. Her delayed birth certificate  issued 29 December 1950, was signed by Joseph Fielding Smith.
     At the end of 1945, on 16 December, Will was ordained a High Priest  by Neil H. Hansen, in the Miller Ward of the South Salt Lake Stake. G. A. Robison was president of the High Priests Quorum and Ariel A. Jensen the quorum secretary. Among the many callings he held in the Church during his life were: ward clerk (Miller Ward, from 17 April 1921 to 1 Jan 1934), Sunday School Superintendent, YMMIA President, Choir Director, Secretary of the Seventies Quorum, Senior President of the Seventies Quorum, Organist for Priesthood meeting, and organist for the Granite Park High Priest Quorum. He was second assistant to Supt. Thomas M. Reese in the Sunday School, set apart 22 November 1914 by Bishop Charles H. Skidmore. He was set apart again as First Assistant to John W. Cook, Supt., by George A. Goff on 10 October 1915. 4 February 1917 he was sustained as President of the YMMIA, set apart by C. H. Norberg with counselors Jacob Timmerman and Joseph Williams. His counselors while Sunday School superintendent were Walter Hertig and Clarence Shaw.
     After the war Will and Hazel worked again in the county treasurers office for a time and then in the office of the Utah State Liquor Commission.

Announcement of 80th Birthday Open House for William J. Guest
    An open house honoring Mr. William J. Guest on his 80th Birthday will be held at his home, 3549 South West Temple, Sunday evening, Oct. 3rd, 1965 from 6 to 9 p.m. Friends and relatives are invited to call. Mr. Guest was born Oct. 5th, 1885 in Mill Creek, Utah, a son of Edward F. and Rebecca Butterworth Guest. He has always been an active leader in many of the organizations of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and is still active in the Granite Park Ward, Granite Park Stake. The family requests no gifts.

     On 19 October 1967 Will granted his son, Lloyd, power of attorney  to act for him in all legal matters. This was notarized by his brother-in-law, Willard S. Cowley. His signature on this document still shows, even at age 82, his beautiful handwriting.
     [From Jean's diary] In Dec. (11th) 1967, my Dad witnessed his oldest Grandson leave for a mission (Sydney) in Australia. He was so happy. He radiated the joy he felt.  He was very proud of Michael Dennis Bryson. When we received letters and tapes from Michael, we would share them with Dad. He relived his own mission through Michael's experiences.
     He passed away while Michael was on his mission. I am so grateful he could live long enough to see one of his Grandchildren go on a mission.

     Hazel died February 9, 1968. William suffered a stroke in August of 1968 and spent some time living with Vaughn then Lloyd. When it became obvious that he needed more intensive care he was placed in a nursing home in Salt Lake City. He died at 5:10 a.m. on 31 October 1968 at the Temple Gardens Convalescent Center, 41 South 9th East, Salt Lake City, of cardiac arrest due to ten years of arteriosclerotic disease. No autopsy was performed. The doctor, H. C. Burton, of Bountiful, also listed as a significant condition "Status post CVA [cerebrovascular accident, a type of stroke] with residual Hemeplegia [paralysis of one side of the body] - Dehydration."
     His obituary reads:
     William James Guest, 82, 3549 S. West Temple, died October 21, 1968, 5:10 a.m. in a Salt Lake rest home of natural causes.
     Born Oct. 5, 1885, Millcreek, a son of Edward Francis and Rebecca Butterworth Guest. Married Maude [sic] Berry, 1917, Salt Lake Temple. She died 1918. Married Emma S. Williams, 1919, Salt Lake Temple. She died 1945. Married Hazel Ilene White 1945, Salt Lake Temple. She died February 1968. Member, Miller Ward. Retired accountant, Salt Lake County treasurer and recorder's office.
     Survivors: son, Lloyd W., Bountiful; Vaughan [sic] W., Farmington; daughter, Mrs. Gerald R. (Jean) Bryson, Salt Lake City; 16 grandchildren, brother Earl J., Salt Lake City.
     Funeral Saturday noon, Miller Ward Chapel, 45 E 3300 South. Friends call 260 E. South Temple, Friday, 6-8 p.m. and Saturday at the Ward chapel one hour before services. Burial, Elysian Burial Gardens.  

     The bill from Larkin Mortuary, 260 East South Temple, was detailed in green ink on yellow paper, difficult to scan, as follows:
     Professional and staff services, establishment facilities and equipment, and casket as selected, $395; State sales tax on casket, $6.91; Protective burial container, Cement Box $85, Tax $2.98; Temple clothing $33.50, tax $1.17; Escort service $17 for a total of $524.56. A discount of $19.75 was allowed if the account was paid in full before December 1, 1968. There is a separate note on the bill written in blue ink which says, "Social Security $255.00."

     William will be remembered for his great love of flowers, especially irises and roses and for his knowledge of the scriptures. He also liked to speak, had excellent handwriting, and had a well-developed sense of humor. He liked to sing in the choir and play the piano. He was Ward Clerk for many years and held other positions in the Church.

Norina Maud Berry

William James Guest's first wife was born as Nerriner Maud Berry, although she used the name Norina instead of Nerriner in later years, but was called Maud. Her birth certificate  shows she was born 29 December 1891 at home at 21 Halifax Road, Halifax, Yorkshire, England. She was the daughter of Lewis Berry and Sarah Tidswell.  Lewis is listed on Maud's birth certificate as being a "Carpet Warehouseman." Maud was baptized in Halifax on 24 February 1900 by James Ratcliffe and confirmed the same day by E. C. Smith. She was a member of the Bradford Branch. Her  baptismal certificate was signed by the branch president, Chas. Woolfenden, and the branch secretary, S. M. Kershaw.  

Lewis Berry was born 13 March 1857. His birth certificate  gives the following information:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           District of Halifax, born 13 March 1857 at Willow Hall, Lower Skircoat, Lewis, son of Joe [not Joseph!] Berry and Elizabeth Berry formerly Scholes. Joe's profession given as Coachman (Gentleman's), residence Lower Willow Hall, Skircoat, registered 13 April 1857.

     From the 1881 census is appears that Joe Berry may have remarried. He is living at 97 Bellvue Lodge, Halifax age 68, born Ripponden, Yorks, occupation coachman. His wife is listed as Mary Berry, age 70, born Elland, Yorks. Lewis was living at home, age 24, born Halifax, carpet warehouseman. Also living with the family was Joe H. Berry, age 13, born in Halifax, a grandson.                 
     His father had passed away by the time of Lewis's marriage in 1889. Lewis and Sarah were married 22 June 1889 at the Rhodes Street Chapel of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Halifax. The witnesses who signed the marriage certificate were Paul Beaver and Elizabeth Tidswell. They were married by George Sanderson, minister of the church. Information on the marriage certificate  Zis as follows:
     Lewis Berry, age 32, Bachelor, Warehouseman, address 5 Perseverance Terrace, Savile Park, son of Joe Berry, deceased, Coachman. Sarah Bancroft, age 25, Spinster, Warper, 5 Wilson Street, Mount Pleasant, Halifax. There is no father given for Sarah on the marriage certificate. Sarah probably worked in one of the carpet mills, hence her profession as Warper.

Maud's parents were baptized into the LDS Church in Halifax on 12 February 1898. Lewis [Louis on baptismal certificate] was baptized by J. G. Schofield and confirmed by J. H. Bailey. Her mother was also baptized by J. Y. Schofield and confirmed by C. E. Rose.  [1 ]  The certificates are signed by J. H. Bailey, Jr.  Lewis's baptismal certificate gives his birth place as Halifax, Queensbury, Yorkshire. Queensbury is just north and a little east of Halifax, between Halifax and Bradford. Sarah's certificate says she was born 4 May 1864 in Sowerby Bridge, Yorkshire. Sowerby Bridge is a chapelry within the parish of Halifax, a couple of miles southwest of Halifax, although her birth certificate says she was born in Clayton, near Bradford.
     Lewis Berry was ordained a deacon  on 4 February 1899 in the Halifax Branch of the Leeds Conference, President Chas. Woolfenden and Henry C. Brower, Secretary. He was ordained a  priest  on 22 November 1902 in the Mill Creek Ward by Wm. H. Hill. The bishop was James C. Hamilton and Per R. C. Towler the ward clerk. He was ordained an elder  on 20 October 1904, also in the Mill Creek Ward, Granite Stake. George C. F. Sturm was President of the Fivth [sic] Quorum of Elders in the Granite Stake and Kershaw N. White [his wife's brother-in-law], secretary.

The Halifax Branch Records show that the Berry family emigrated from England to Utah on 31 May 1900. Her  autograph book was sent to Maud from her Aunt Martha Tidswell White from England in 1901. On 18 March 1902 Maud's parents signed a bank note  for $150 from The Deseret National Bank, of Salt Lake City. The note was to be repaid within one year at 10% interest, with the interest due quarterly. A record of payment is on the back of the note. There is no indication what the loan was for.
     Maud was issued a "Temple Certificate"  on 17 October  1904 by the Mill Creek Ward, Granite Stake. Her parents were endowed and sealed on 19 October 1904 in the Salt Lake Temple and Maud was sealed to them on this date. Her recommend was signed by Bishop James C. Hamilton and stake president, Frank Y. Taylor. It is perforated, indicating the bottom half might have been intended to be taken at the temple, but the recommend is still intact.
     Maud's mother died on 11 January 1907. Her obituary was in the Deseret News, 12 Jan 1907:
Mrs. Sarah Berry, wife of Lewis Berry, died at __ yesterday. The family resides on West Temple and between Fourteenth [33rd] and Fifteenth [39th] South from a complication of disease. Mrs. Berry was forty-two years old and was a native of Halifax, Yorkshire, England. In 1900 with her husband and daughter she came to Utah settling in Mill Creek where they have since resided. She was a sincere and devoted member of the Church. She leaves a husband and one daughter and friends in this and her native country. Funeral was held from the Mill Creek meetinghouse Friday.

     Maud received two patriarchal blessings. One on 27 March 1910  from Harrison Sperry and one on 13 May 1914  from C. H. Wilcken. Many blessings were promised in these blessings which appear not to have been fulfilled because of the shortness of Maud's life; posterity, working with the daughters of Zion, and going to the temple to perform ordinances for her ancestors. It is interesting that at this point [September 2000] there is no evidence of any temple work having been done for Maud's grandparents. A loving Father in Heaven surely has many blessings and promises in store for those of his children whose lives were cut short as was Maud's.
     From Maud's autograph book it appears she worked at the "Bureau of Information" from at least May 1914 to March 1916. She attended nursing school, either concurrently with this job or after leaving the Bureau of Information.

We know only a little of Will and Maud's courtship. [See Will's history.] But we know from land records that they were neighbors. The Berry property was just south of the Guest property. They grew up knowing each other, childhood sweethearts. There is mention in Will's mission journal of receiving letters from Maud. After his mission they fell in love and Will proposed.
     A small card  was among the papers Jean kept. It was a poem written for Maud, probably for a bridal shower. It read:
          To our honored Guest
          Her name is Maud!
          Maud what? Maud Muller?
          No don't think it odd
          For a girl her maiden name to Berry
          If possessed of a Will to persuade her to marry.     
          So we pledge her our faith
          that she'll ever be blest -
          To our old friend, Maud Berry
          Who will soon be Maud Guest.

     They were married Wednesday, 28 March 1917, in the Salt Lake Temple.
      Maud's father died only two months later on 26 May 1917. An article in the Saturday, 26 May 1917, Deseret News stated:
     Lewis Berry, 61 years old, watchman in the Keith Arcade building, [?]250 south Main street, living at [3]549 south West Temple street fell down the elevator shaft about 6 o'clock this morning from the first floor to the basement. He suffered fractures of the skull, hip and arm.
     No one saw the accident, but it is supposed Mr. Berry went to the shaft intending to ascend to an upper floor. The elevator was not at the landing, and he stepped into the shaft absentmindedly. He was taken to the emergency hospital and later to the Dr. W. H. Groves L. D. S. Ho[s]pital. Physicians who attended him say his injuries may prove fatal.
     Mr. Berry is an old resident of Salt Lake. He is a widower, with one daughter, Mrs. Maude Berry Guest.

     On Monday, 28 May 1917, the notice of his death was printed: "Funeral services for Lewis Berry, who died from injuries suffered when he fell down an elevator shaft in the Keith Emporium, will be held Tuesday afternoon, May 29, at 1:30 o'clock in the Miller ward meetinghouse."
     Will paid for his funeral,  a total of $120; $85 for the casket, $25 for "Embalming & Professional Services," and $10 for the hire of the hearse, with the bill paid in full on 31 May.
     Maud's baby, Milton, was born 2 November 1918 and died the same day. This was in the middle of the terrible flu epidemic. Maud died on 5 November 1918. The Deseret News of Wednesday, 6 November 1918 listed in a column "CALLED BY DEATH": Maud Berry Guest - In this city, Mrs. Maud Berry Guest, 26 years old, died Tuesday of influenza-pneumonia. She was the wife of W. J. Guest, 3547 [sic] south West Temple street, bookkeeper for the Consolidated Music company. Funeral notice later." And on Saturday, 9 November 1918: "The funeral of N. Maud Berry Guest, wif eof [sic] William J. Guest, 3549 south West Temple street, who died Tuesday of influenza-pneumonia, will be held in the Mill Creek cemetery Sunday afternoon [10 November]. The cortege will leave the residence at 1 p.m."  [One wonders if the delay from her death on Tuesday to the burial on Sunday was a result of the high number of deaths during this terrible epidemic. Note also there is no mention of the baby in these notices.]
     Maud's friend from nursing school, Emma Williams, Will's future wife, said many times how much she wished she had known about Maud and Milton. She said she probably could have saved them if she had only known. Will was also ill with the flu and was unable to attend the burial services for his beloved young wife and son. We can only imagine what a difficult thing this was for a young man to bear. But fortunate are we all that his family was there for him, and Maud's friend, Emma, to help him continue to have a happy and worthwhile life.

[1] Although Layne Bryson has a grandfather named C. E. Rose (Charles Edwin Rose, father of Mary Evelette Rose Bryson) this is not him. It is probably Charles Edward Rose, born 29 May 1872 in Soda Springs, Idaho, son of Charles Green Rose and Margaret Elizabeth Nowlin.

 Thomas Walton
 Pioneer of 1853

By Edna Grover Walton

Thomas Walton was born the 8th of April 1793, in Linton, Herefordshire, England. He was a son of Thomas Price and Sarah Walton, both of whom were born in Linton, Herefordshire, England. [His mother was definitely Sarah Walton and it is presumed and assumed from family records that Thomas Price was his father.]
     Thomas Walton married Jane Colley or Rowley [who was also born before the marriage of her parents] the 20th of May, 1819 and they were the parents of ten children; 5 boys and 5 girls, Their names are as follows in order of birth: Ann, Thomas, Hannah, Harriet, James, Joseph, George, John, Emma and Jane. Hannah, Emma and Harriet all died and were buried in England.

The family joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and were baptized at different times, as they were all nearly grown at the time. Jane, the youngest, was eleven years of age when they left England. Thomas, the father, and his wife Jane were baptized the 10th of October, 1841. He was ordained a Deacon the 8th of June 1846. Ann was baptized the 8th of October, 1842; John was baptized June 1843; Thomas Jr. was baptized August 1843. Jane and Joseph were baptized on the same day, the 13th of November 1849; George was baptized in May 1852.
     Thomas, his wife and family left their home on Christmas day, 25 December 1852, to go to Liverpool, where they booked passage, 29 December 1852, on the sailing vessel “Ellen Maria”, a ship of 768 tons. After being detained for sometime by contrary winds, they sailed Tuesday the 10th of February, 1853 for America.
     Peter Whitmore was captain of the ship. The 369 saints were under the direction of Isaac C. Haight; this was the 61st company of saints leaving Liverpool, England. The voyage was a rough and stormy one; especially the first eight days after leaving port. Considerable sickness prevailed and there were five births and two deaths during the voyage. After being on the water for several weeks, the “Ellen Maria” docked at New Orleans the 6th of April 1853. Elder John Brown acted as immigration agent for that season.
     The immigrants continued their journey up the Mississippi River to Keokuk, Iowa, which had been selected as the outfitting place for the saints that year. Young Joseph, who was about 24 years of age, had stopped in St. Louis to get employment so he could help the family when he arrived in the valley.
     At Keokuk, the family rested, bought a wagon, two yoke of oxen and supplies in preparation for their long journey west. Now the saints were organized with Cyrus Wheelocks, a Captain, with Brother Dykes and Captain James Pixton assisting him. The company consisted of 400 souls, 216 oxen, 17 horses, 2 mules, 85 cows, 12 heifers, 53 wagons and carriages. This was the 10th company of the season to leave here. Most of the 400 traveled under the provision of the “10 pound company” or the “P E Fund” [Perpetual Emigration Fund].
     There was a small independent company headed by Brother Kendall and James Whitworth, which attached to the Wheelock’s Company. They were intending to go on to California the following spring. They had about 200 head of sheep with them. This large company of courageous saints left Keokuk, Iowa, Friday, the 3rd of June 1853 and traveled to Council Bluffs, Iowa. They crossed the Missouri River, the 11th of July 1853. After many weeks of privation and hardships they arrived in the Salt Lake Valley the 16th of October 1853. The old trusty oxen that brought them safely to the end of their journey was owned many years by the family. They were used to help with the farm work; their names were Buck and Berry, Darby and Joan. Old Buck died after being bitten by a rattlesnake.

The family settled on a 60 acre tract of land west of the state road and 14th South; the streets are now known as State Street and 33rd South. After their son George married, he and his wife Hannah built their home across the road south of the old home. Thomas Walton and Jane were endowed and sealed in the Endowment House, the 12th of November 1859. Later Thomas took a second wife, Hannah Reich, and she was sealed to him the 14th of June 1862. Thomas Walton Jr. died about four years after they arrived in the valley. Ann married John William Townsend; George married Anna (Hannah) Hug; John married Isabella Pratt; Jane married Edward Francis Mailon Guest and Joseph married Ann Thompson and settled in Alpine, Utah. The rest of Thomas’s children lived in the Salt Lake Valley all of their lives.
     Thomas Walton died the 4th of December 1870 at the age of 77 and he was buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery. His wife Jane lived 19 years after his death. She died the 5th of February 1889, at the age of 88 years and she was buried beside him in the Salt Lake City Cemetery.

Editorial Notes added by David L. Walton:

1) Harriet is not the daughter of Thomas and Jane Walton. While a child, Harriet, has been listed on family group records of Thomas and Jane Walton for many years, probably since temple submission of Emma Elveda Walton in 1930s, such a sister is not named in Joseph Walton’s genealogical record. The entries in the Whitbourne Parish Register provide accurate accounting of this child. “Christened: Harriet daughter of Ann Walton of Bringsty Common” --parish register, Whitbourne, 1538202 (1826-), p 46 #362; “Buried: Harriet Walton of Bringsty Common, July 25, 1826, age 2 days” another entry says “July 25, 1826, Hareat Walton, buried aged 3 days”

2) Joseph Walton married Jane Burriston, 30 Dec 1851, and “left his home for America 4 January 1852. Sailed on the ship Kenebec from Liverpool, England, 10 Jan 1852; landed at New Orleans nine weeks later, 11 Mar 1852. At New Orleans the ship grounded on a sand bar and for nine days it was stuck fast in the sand. There were 333 passengers on board and it became necessary to transfer them to a river steamboat. The Saints were under the direction of Brother John S. Higbee.

Joseph Walton worked his passage up the Mississippi to St. Louis and later he drove an ox team across the plains, arriving in Salt Lake City on September 17, 1853.” He found a place of residence and employment in Millcreek Ward, then may have returned part of the way back along the trail to assist the family in completion of the journey. See THE JOSEPH WALTON FAMILY BIOGRAPHY, JB Walton, 1931; JOSEPH WALTON, JB Walton, undated.

3) There is no evidence to support the assumption here that the son, Thomas, came to Salt Lake Valley. Joseph Walton states in his Genealogical Record that Thomas died “about 1856" at Whitbourne. Research has yet to uncover concrete evidence for the exact death date.

4) George Walton also married Mary Catherine Häberlie,  7 Feb 1862 (names in marriage book are George Price and Mary Catherine Habeley).

5) John Walton also married Caroline Amelia Christiansen (names in marriage book are John Walton Price and Caroline Amelia Christiansen, 30 Aug 1875) and Anna Elizabeth Kunz (names in marriage book are John Walton Price and Eliza Kountz, 18 Jan 1886). John legally changed his name to John Walton Price, 3 Jul 1876: he had used this name more and more regularly as early as 12 Nov 1859.