Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   



Pictures of Dreghon Castle, Lieth, Scotland 


Dreghorn22
 
Dreghorn23

Dreghorn26

Dreghorna postcard
   
Dreghornb postcard

Dreghornc postcard
   
Dreghorn d postcard
 
Dreghorn e postcard
 
Dreghorn f postcard

Dreghorn  g  Castle left to right

Dreghorn 25 newspaper

                 
Monument Dreghorn24

Covenanter's Monument
Covenanters Monument (1666), Dreghorn














Outside Dreghorn Barracks on Redford Road, Edinburgh is a monument commemorating the Covenanters (1666). Constructed from ornamental Ionic columns taken from the colonnade which formed part of William Adam's Old Infirmary (1738), which was located in Infirmary Street and demolished in 1884. This monument, which was erected in 1885, also records other significant military incursions; namely the Romans, Cromwell in 1650 and Charles Edward Stuart in 1745.




Colinton
City of Edinburgh

Originally a ford and mill village lying in a steep-sided valley cut by the Water of Leith, some 4 miles (6 km) southwest of central Edinburgh, Colinton has grown into a sizeable and desirable residential suburb of the city. The mills produced textiles, snuff and paper. The Bank of Scotland's first bank-notes were said to have been printed on paper manufactures in Colinton.

Today, the road crosses the river high above the old village, with Spylaw Street descending to the old village, the historic Parish Church and Colinton Dell.

In 1874, the Caledonian railway built a spur from Slateford to Balerno, with a station at Colinton. Passenger services ceased in 1943 and the line finally closed when goods trains stopped in the 1960s.

Colinton Castle was destroyed by Oliver Cromwell (1599 - 1654) in 1650, but repaired only to be partially demolished on the instructions of painter Alexander Nasmyth (1758 - 1801) to create a picturesque ruin.

Redford Barracks lie on Colinton Road, just to the east of the old village. Philanthropist James Gillespie (1726-97) had his home and business in the village. The author Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-94) is known to have been a regular visitor to the village, his maternal grand-father having been the parish minister. The architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson (1834 - 1921) also lived here and worked on various buildings in the village. There are also cottage-style villas on Colinton Road by another noted architect Sir Robert Lorimer (1864 - 1921).





Dreghorn Barracks

Located just inside Edinburgh's A 720 bypass, Dreghorn Barracks is the home of the King's Own Scottish Borderers and the Highland Band of the Scottish Division, which incorporates musicians from four Highland regiments; namely the Black Watch, Queen's Own Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders and the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

The Barracks is located on the estate of Dreghorn Castle, a 17th-century edifice, twice extended to become a grand tudor-gothic pile, the finest in Colinton. Built c.1658 by Sir William Murray, Master of Works to King Charles II, it passed through the hands of several notable owners before use as a private school in the early 20th century. It was acquired by the War Department which, following years of neglect and an unwillingness to maintain it, demolished the Castle in 1955. Much of the rubble still remains on the site. Only two gatehouses survive, in Dreghorn Loan and Oxgangs Road.