Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   


LAING
from Scotland circa 1736
to Canada circa 1850


The Laing family originates in the area around Monymusk and Fetternear, Aberdeenshire ,Scotland. We find one James Laing born 1736, marrying an Ann Scott who was born at Chapel of Garioch of Fetternear, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. They had two children, of which the younger was Robert Laing.


Robert appears to have been a merchant, a banker,and a farmer, he married Mary Hill and produced four children. His son James, born Aug. 25 1818 and baptized in the Chapel of Garioch, became like his grandfather, a farmer, he died in 1882 in Canada. James at first married Janet Reid who was born in the parish of Monymusk, Aberdeenshire. Janet who's father was James Reid, unfortunately died at child birth in 1841 at the age of 37 years..


James then married Mary Violet Adam of the same area, however she also died at an early age, James then married Mary's sister Margaret Leslie Adam who had accompanied James and Mary when they emigrated to Canada in 1847. Margaret and James produced 13 more children, all the while looking after the 6 children of James' first two marriages.


The Laing family first settled in the Chambly, Quebec area, where they remained for a period of 10 years, they then moved into the Gatineau, to take up residence in Buckingham, Quebec.


Once he moved to the Buckingham area it is believed that he purchased land from one Henry Havelock Eaton, who was a lumber trader  and no doubt a large land owner in the Outaouais area.



Chapel of Garioch
Aberdeenshire


A village of the Garioch district in Aberdeenshire, Chapel of Garioch lies in a parish of the same name at a road junction 3 miles (5 km) northwest of Inverurie. The parish church dates from 1813.






Laing

James Laing
1736-1809
Married
13 Feb 1780
Monymusk, Aberdeenshire Scotland
Ann Scott
1747-1832


1st Child
Unknown Laing

Robert Laing
1782-1838


OLD PARISH GRAVEYARD at St Ninian Church

The principal relic of the parish is the old churchyard on the left bank of the Don, about a mile below Kenmay bridge. All traces of the pre-Reformation church, which stood in it, have disappeared, a new private church, erected by the Leslie family, occupying its site. The graveyard itself has been levelled up, and is now seldom used for interments. This sequestered spot, surrounded by the murmuring Don and trees of patriarchal age, calls forth emotions consonant with its hallowed purpose and associations.


A headstone is inscribed -

In memory of James Laing, who died 16th January, 1809, aged 73 years.
And of his spouse, Ann Scott, who died 29th January, 1832, aged 85 years.




Robert Laing
1782-1838

Married
4 Sept 1830
Chapel of Garioch,

Aberdeenshire  Scotland

Mary Hill
1788-1834


Mary Laing
1811-1883
James Laing
1818-1882
Robert Laing
1832-
William Laing


According to Rev Robert Laing, his Grandfather Robert was a merchant and a banker for many years , and after retiring from business he spent his last days on a farm near Fetternear, Aberdeenshire ,Scotland. James the eldest son emigrated to Canada in 1847, Robert(jr) remained on the family farm in Aberdeenshire, to which his father retired . William who appears to the the youngest son was sent off to be apprenticed to one Mr Watson in Dundee. Mary of course was married to Alexander Reid who eventually inherited the Laing family farm.

Will of Robert Laing Sr
Farmer and seedman in Fetternear

I nominate and appoint Patrick Downie ,farmer in Overtown of Fetternear, Alexander Cruchshank in Bogs of Coullie and Alexander Reid, my son-in-law to be my executors

To the Session of the parish of Monymusk for behoof of the poor the sum of �10, to the session of Kemnay for behoof of the poor of said parish �10 , to the session of Chapel of Garioch the sum of �10
To my son William Laing presently residing with Mr Watson in the High Street of Dundee the sum of �100

To my son Robert Laing the sum of �1,000, the annual interest divided betixt my son James and daughter Mary

Written on these and the two preceding pages by Revd Hanery Simson, minister of the Chapel of Garioch are by me subscribed at Overtown of Fetternear this tenth day of March , One thousand eight hundred and thirty six years before these witnesses William Kesson in Mill of Fetternear and George Watson in Bograxie

OLD PARISH GRAVEYARD

The principal relic of the parish is the old churchyard on the left bank of the Don, about a mile below Kenmay bridge. All traces of the pre-Reformation church, which stood in it, have disappeared, a new private church, erected by the Leslie family, occupying its site. The graveyard itself has been levelled up, and is now seldom used for interments. This sequestered spot, surrounded by the murmuring Don and trees of patriarchal age, calls forth emotions consonant with its hallowed purpose and associations.

A headstone is inscribed -


Robert Laing, farmer, Overtown, Fetternear, who died 21st January, 1838, aged 56,
and his wife, Mary Hill, who died 26th April, 1834, aged 46.



Robert Laing, the son of Robert and Mary, appears on the 1841 census as 9 years old, living with his sister Mary and her husband Alexander Reid on the Overton property. He does not appear on the 1851 census, nor the 1861 census, and unfortunately we cannot find a record of burial as of Jan 2006.

Notes from Henry Davie family web site makes mention of our Robert Laing :

James and Margaret Davies lived in Fetternear, and had nine children between 1821 and 1839. The witnesses at the children's baptisms were all neighbours - Archibald Booth, Peter/Patrick Downie, John and Patrick Walker, George Caithness, Robert Laing and Archibald Clarke



As to William Laing who in 1836 is with Mr Watson of the High Street in Dundee , we have found very little reference.

The story in the family is that inheritance money was rejected, because it had been acquired in the whisky trade. At first it was thought that this whisky trade was related to the Johnnie Walker group of companies, as there was was Walker related to the Laing family though marriage to the Scott family. However , as we can see from the below notes, there was a Watson involved in the whisky trade who had their affairs in Dundee. William Laing was residing with a Mr Watson in Dundee in the year 1836 (the date of his father's will) , so perhaps, this is the connection the family may have had with the whisky and the story about the inheritance being refused is indeed correct, even if the assumption of the relation to Johnnie Walker was not.


From " The Scotch Whisky Industry Record " by H.Charles Craig.

PARKMORE, DUFFTOWN, BANFFSHIRE, NJ329410.

Built 1894 by the Parkmore Distillery Co.; taken over by James Watson & Co. Ltd, Dundee, c.1900, who were acquired by John Dewar & Sons Ltd 1923. Passed to the DCL 1925 and transferred to SMD 1930. Silent from 1931. Licensed 1940 to Daniel Crawford & Son Ltd. Now used as warehouses and stores. Externally the most perfect survivor of the late 1890s boom in distilleries. Closed 1988 and sold to Highland Distilleries PLC.

Parkmore Distillery built at Dufftown by James Watson & Co., Seagate, Dundee. The first manager was George Smith whose father had been brewer at The Glenlivet and brother had been the founder of Cragganmore Distillery, which Georges subsequently ran as trustee, the output of which was taken by James Watson & Co.

1923 May. Ord, Parkmore and Pulteney distilleries were taken over for 'something over �2m.' by the three firms - Dewar, Walker and Lowrie together with eight million gallons of stock 'one of the most important stocks of old whisky in the country' on the acquisition of the entire share capital of James Watson & Co. Ltd, of Dundee,which was then put into liquidation.

No. 1556. WATSON, JAMES, & CO., LTD., Distillers and Scotch Whisky Merchants, 97, Seagate,Dundee, 95, Bath Street,Glasgow, 92, Great Tower Street, London, E.C., Melbourne and Sydney. Proprietors of Ord Distillery, Ross-shire, and Parkmore Distillery, Dufftown. Established 1815 by James Watson. Incorporated 1896. Directors: J.J.Watson, R.L.Watson, A.K.Watson, T.Herd and C.H. Marshall [gdb 54/3.98]





More work has to be carried out to locate William Laing, it has been assumed that Robert Laing died as he was residing with Mary and Alexander Reid on the farm. Any help would be appreciated



Mary Laing
1811-1883
Married
29 May 1830
Capel of Garioch, Aberdeen Scotland
Alexander Reid
1811-1875
.
.
Robert Reid
1831-
John Reid
1832-
Mary Reid
1834-
William Reid
1835-
Alexander Reid
1838-
George Reid
1842-
Jessie Reid
1845-

Notes from Lisa Stewart - Robert Reid the eldest son took over the farm at Overton

1841 Census records for Chapel of Garioch

Address: Woodside Of Fetternear

REID
Alexander
36
Road contractor
Aberdeenshire
REID Mary ( Laing)
29
wife
Aberdeenshire
REID Robert
10
son
Aberdeenshire
REID Mary
7
daughter
Aberdeenshire
REID William
5
son
Aberdeenshire
REID Alexander
2
son
Aberdeenshire
LAING
Robert
9
Independant Aberdeenshire
MAITLAND
Margaret
17
servant
Aberdeenshire

1851 Census record for Overton

Alexander Reid

H

M

48

Farmer of 136 ac

Monymusk

seven men +






Robert Davie

Sv

U

19

Farm servant

C of G



1861 Census for Overton
Overton of Fetternear
REID
Alexander
Head
57
Farmer 200 Acres
Monymusk
LAING
Mary
Wife
47

Chapel of Garioch
REID
George
Son
18

Chapel of Garioch
REID
Jessie
Daughter
15

Chapel of Garioch
EWAN
Charles

29
Ploughman
Chapel of Garioch
LAMB
George

17
Ag Labour
Skene
ANDERSON
Isobel

20
Dom Serv
Fordoun,Kincardine
REID
John
Brother
53
Ag Labour
Monymusk
REID
Mary L
Grandaughter
3

Chapel of Garioch



OLD PARISH GRAVEYARD

The principal relic of the parish is the old churchyard on the left bank of the Don, about a mile below Kenmay bridge. All traces of the pre-Reformation church, which stood in it, have disappeared, a new private church, erected by the Leslie family, occupying its site. The graveyard itself has been levelled up, and is now seldom used for interments. This sequestered spot, surrounded by the murmuring Don and trees of patriarchal age, calls forth emotions consonant with its hallowed purpose and associations.

A headstone is inscribed -

Their son-in-law, Alexander Reid, who succeeded to Overtown, died 15th February, 1883, aged 79,
while his wife Mary Laing, died 22nd April, 1875, aged 64.




Notes from Henry Davie family web site make metions of our Alexander Reid, and the Overtown farm that he had took over from his father in law Robert Laing :-

-- James Davie died shortly after his seventieth birthday, on 21 July 1867. (His gravestone says he was 68, in 1861 he gave his age as 61, and in 1851 as 53, none of which are correct!) He is buried, as are his first wife and his son Robert, in the Catholic graveyard of St Ninian's on the banks of the Don at Fetternear. His testament is dated nine days before his death, and his goods and livestock were appraised by his (Catholic) friend and neighbour, Robert Craigen, and valued at �107/16/6. His executors were William McLeod in Netherton of Fetternear, and Alexander Reid in Overtown, for whom his son Robert had worked as a farm servant. His goods were left to his widow and the eight of his children who survived him.

-- Robert Davie (1831-1864) was born on 19 March 1831 and baptized on the 22nd, with John Walker and Archibald Clarke as witnesses. In 1851 he was working for a family friend, Alexander Reid in Overtown. However, he died on 7 February 1864, and is buried in St Ninian's Cemetery at Fetternear.








First Marriage
John Reid
1832-1905
Married
29 May 1864
Aberdeen Scotland
Elizabeth Walker
1811-1871
.
.
John Alexander Reid
1861-
William Walker Reid
1868-
.Mary Elizabeth Reid
1864-1864
Mary Elizabeth Reid
1869-
Eliza Forsyth Reid
1871-



Uncertain that there were two Mary Elizabeths, but it was not unheard of to rename another child after one who died at birth

Second Marriage
John Reid
1832-1905
Married
29 May 1881
Aberdeen Scotland
Margaret Simpson
1836-


Notes from Lisa Stewart - Margaret Simpson was also a widow, her maiden name apparently would have been Swannson



1st Marriage

James Laing
1818-1882
Married
28 Mar 1837
Aberdeen Scotland
Janet Reid
1804-1841

George Laing
1835-
Janet Laing
1837-
Jean/Jessie Laing
1838-1912
Robert Laing
1841-1919


1841 Census Chapel of Garioch
at Fetternear neighour to Fetternear School

LAING
James
22
Farmer
REID
Janet
36
Wife
LAING
George
6
Son
LAING
Janet
4
Daughter
LAING
Jean
2
Daughter
LAING
Robert
5mths
Son
BAIRD
James
19
Ag Labour
GAMMIE
William
12
Ag Labour
ADAM
Mary
18
Servant
ADAM
Agnes
(Margaret)
13
Servant



John Gammie of Overtown of Fetternear a daughter born of his wife Mary Reith, 6th September 1836
witnesses Alexander Reid and James Laing of Overttown

James Laing in Overtown of Fetternear had a daughter born of his wife Janet Reid on 18 December 1838 named Jean witnesses James Baird of Overtown , and Alexander Reid of Woodside

Janet Laing born 1837 more than likely died early, as she does not appear on the 1851 Census in Chambly Quebec and she would have been only 14 years old. Mind you in Scotland at that time a 14 year old could possible have been set up to marry. More records have to researched for this Janet.




Notes found that may or may not have value for this relationship it is believed that the daughter Janet is the wife of James Laing

Erected in the memory of John Reid, Newtown, Craigearn, Kemnay d 18 Aug 1839 aged 70 : his daughter Elspet d 8 Aug 1822 aged 13 ; son John D 9 Jan 1825 aged 24 : daughter Janet d 18 Nov 1841 aged 37 : son Robert d 12 Apr 1842 aged 24 ; daughter Agnes d Dec 1847 aged 32; daughter Jean d 12 Oct 1850 aged 38 , ;his wife Jean Thom d 27 May 1862 aged 86 : son Alexander d. 12 Dec 1863 aged 54 ::::



George Laing
1837-
Married

Henriettia unknown

1832-xxxx



Not many records for George have been located as of Janurary 2006. We do know that he was in Chambly in 1851 when the Census was taken so he made the trip from Scotland with the family and in the 1961 census we find him married  living in the St Antoine District of Montreal with one daughteer and his wife. His brother Robert is staying with him during that period


Jean/Jessie Laing
1839-1912
Married
July 18 1883
Buckingham Qc
Adam Devenney
1832-1908

Jessie was fast becoming an old maid , as oldest female child, she no likley had taken on many of the duties of housekeeper, since the death of her mother Janet in Scotland, and the step mother who accompanied the family to Canada. From what we can tell she was not much older than her stepmother Mary Adams, who upon having her third child passed in the hands of the Lord also, leaving James with a growing family of 5 boys and Jessie. We are more than certain that James was not the one changing dippers, nor making meals and doing household chores. Poor Jessie would have no choice but to undertake these tasks, along with that of ensuring that the last born had all the chances that could be given to him to survive in this new world far from friends and family, and at that in a French speaking mileu ( while Chambly was a military post for the British army, and from what the history books have stated it was a properous business center of Quebec, the majority of the population would be French speaking. For a young girl of 9 years old we can only imagine the gravity of the situation.

While her father decided to take himself a third wife as quickly as possible and this in 1847, Jessie remained the only female child in the family until 1863, when she turned 26 years of age. By this time there were 14 children in the family and given the difficultly of living in this new and foreign land, we can only imagine how much the third wife Margaret counted on Jessie's help with the upbringing of the family. Margaret herself was only 4 years older than Jessie, and the relationnship Step Mother - Step daughter might have been more or less a relationship of girl- freinds, we can only however guess at this as no records have been located to suggest much else. Finally there were now with the last birth in 1876, 19 children in this family, Jessie had come over from Scotland a young girl, moved in to a town civilization in Chambly, lived through the death of a second Mother figure, had moved with the family and a third mother figure to the wilds of northern Quebec, Buckingham , a frontier town, with no commercial potential, a lumbering concern and farming area (the farming not being the greatest of possibilities given the lay of the land).Here Jessie carried on providing, a second Motherly relation for her siblings until 1883, she was now 46 years of age , well past the age of child bearing, but perhaps having had enough of child raising to last her a life time.


The relation that she had with Adam Devenney and his wife before the latter's death we do not know, but most certainly it would be more a neighbourly type suitable for the times, church meeting, barn raising, and crocheting perhaps. We do not believe that there would be much more to entice our imagination. Adam's wife died giving child birth in 1881 , leaving him with 9 living children from age 4 to 23 . The fact that Jessie left her family and took it upon herself at 46 to engage upon an adventure with a man with a complete family, can only be considered a mutual arrangement, similar that that which her second step mother did when she married Jessie's father, who was infact her Brother in law . This was what a Christian lady did , simply that nothing more, Jessie certainly had the experience, she was bound to remain an old maid if she did not take this step, and perhaps, Jessie with her marriage to Adam would at least have an opportunity to obtain some consideration as a wife, and mother even if only a step mother, to her own separate family. There 6 boys and three girls, the eldest son John married one of Jessies step sister's Mary Helen in 1885, so that left Jessie and Adam to bring up the remaining children which they did with the best of thier ability.

We have listed the Devenney family members that became part of Jessies Laing's family for the form of it. There are others who have done their own family history for these children and since there was no Laing connection other than the family of John Devenney and Mary Helen Laing who do have a page of history here, we felt that a simple story of the Adam Devenney Jessie Laing union would be sufficient.


Children of Adam Deveny and Jenne McCullouch


John Devenney
1858-1933
Margaret Devenney
1859-1918
Solomon Devenney
1861-1939
James Adam Devenney
1866-1922
Robert Devenney
1866-1948
Charles Ephriam Devenney
1868-1953
Lois Lucretia Devenney
1872-1938
Samuel David Devenney
1874-1940
Sarah Jane Devenney
1877-1968

The two children of Adam Devenney and Jennet McCullough (1837 -1881) who died before Jessie Laing's union with Adam were

George William Devenney
1874-1878
Jennet Emma Devenney
1881-1881


Notes made by Jessie Marion Smith:

Marriage:- Adam Devenny widower, of the Township of Buckingham, in the County of Ottawa, Province of Quebec, son of Adam Devenny, of the Township of Buckingham, County of Ottawa, Province of Quebec, Framer, and his wife Lois, both deceased, and Janet Laing, spinster, of the Township of Buckingham, and daughter of James Laing, of the Township of Buckingham, County of Ottawa, Province of Quebec, Farmer(deceased)and his wife Margaret Leslie. Both of full age and having processed special license were dully married by me in the presence of Peter Laing, and Mary Laing, both of Buckingham, and brother and sister to the Bride , on the 16th July 1883. Witness Peter laing, Mary Laing Signed Adam Devenny Janet Laing


Burial:- Tuesday 16 July 1912, I the undersigned interred in the Presbyterian Cemetery at Buckingham, the remains of Jessie Laing, wife of the late Adam Deveny of Buckingham. Deceased on the 14th day July 1912. Present at internment were John Deveny, Charles Deveny who did sign with me.

















































































Robert Laing Katherine Dobie Croil



James Croil - Christian Richardson
of Crysler Farm On
Robert Laing
1841-1919
Married
25 December 1878
Montreal, Qc
Katherine Dobie Croil
1854-



Stuart James Laing
1879-
Jessie Croil Laing
1881-
Allan Pollock Laing
1884-1959
John Laing
1886-1886

Extract from Biographical Review (abt 1900)
Rev Robert Laing , of Halifax, president of the Ladies' College and Conservatory of Music, was born in 1841, at the Chapel of Garioch, of Fetternear ,in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, which was the birthplace of his father James Laing, of his grandfather Robert, and his great grandfather, the earliest James of the present record.

James Laing (I), was a farmer. He married Ann Scott, who was a native of the same place, and had two children, of whom the younger was Robert (I), the next in line of descent. Robert Laing (I), was a merchant and banker for many years. After retiring from business he spent his last days upon a farm at Fetternear. His wife, whose name in maidenhood was Mary Hill, bore him three children, none of whom are now living James Laing (II) the eldest of these born at Fetternear in 1818, was brought up to agriculture and followed farming in his native country from early manhood until 1847. In that year he emigrated to Canada , and settling at Chambly on the Richelieu River, remained there for 10 years. His last days were spent in Buckingham Que where he died at the age of sixty three years.

Following the example and cherishing the convictions of his ancestors, he was a Presbyterian in religion. His first wife, Janet Reid, who was born in the parish of Monymusk, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, a daughter of John Reid and died at the age of thirty seven years, bore him three children. Of these two are now living, namely Jessie, wife of Adam Devine, of Buckingham P.Q. and Robert whose name appears at the head of this sketch. By his second wife, Mary Adam , a native of Scotland, he had four children of whom there are now only two survivors , William Scott. and Alexander Reid . After his death he married for his third wife, her sister Margaret, by whom he had twelve children. All of these save two are now living, namely ; James, Patrick, Frank, Hugh B. , David M., Henry H., Leslie, Mary E., Emma E. and Agnes.

The Rev. Robert Laing received his elementary education in his native land. After coming to America he became a student at McGill College in Montreal, where he graduated in 1868 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts and in 1872 received the degree of Master of Arts . He entered upon the study of theology in Morin College, Quebec and continued it later at Edinburgh Scotland. Having received his license to preach, in 1872 he became assistant minister of the St. Paul's Church, Montreal. Six years later, in 1878 he ws appointed minister of St. matthew's Church Halifax, of which he remained pastor for fourteen years, or until 1891. in 1887, while holding this charge, he founded the institution of which he is present head, and which has done much for the cause of education and advancement of musical knowledge throughout the Province, The Ladies' College and Conservatory of Music, of Halifax. Mr. Laing has managed the affairs of the college since 1891, in which year he resigned the pastorate of St. Matthew's Church. Its success is due mainly to his wise foresight, sound judgment, deep scholarship and thorough knowledge of the subjects taught, together with his wide administrative ability that holds a commanding grasp of everything connected with the institution, down to the smallest detail, and unites the whole into one smooth working machine that performs so well the work it ws designed to accomplish.

Mr. Laing was united in marriage December 25 1878 to Miss Katherine D Croil, daughter of James and Christian ( Richardson) Croil, of Montreal, her father being a prominent literary man of that city. Mr and Mrs Laing are the parents of three living children , James Stuart, Jessie Croil and Allan Pollock .


Newspaper obituaries : no paper name , no dates
Funeral of the Late Rev Robert Laing
The funeral of the late Rev Robert Laing took place at three o'clock yesterday afternoon at St. Matthew's Church.
There was a large attendance of friends, the Ladies' College Board was present in a body and a number of the city clergy who had known Mr. Laing in his work as minister of the St. Matthew's and Principal of the College. Rev Dr. Clark conducted the service, and Dr J W Falconer of Pine Hill, an intimate friend of the late Mr. Laing, delivered an address dwelling on his bright and cherry humor and the quality of making and keeping close friends which he possessed in a remarkable degree. He mentioned the valuable work that the deceased had done in the educational interests of the Province and Canada. A quartette sang an appropriate anthem and Mr. I D Hubley played the Dead March in Saul as the congregation left the church.


Sudden death of Rev Robert Laing
Founder of Halifax Ladies' College and Former Minister of St. Matthew's Passed Away Saturday
The Rev Robert Laing founder and late principal of the Halifax Ladies' College and one of the leading educationalists of the Maritime Provinces, died very suddenly at his home here on saturday afternoon. The Late Mr. Laing was widely known in Halifax where he had lived for the past forty years. He is survived by his wife Katherine, a daughter of the late James Croil of Montreal, two sons, Stuart of the Artillery, who is expected to return from overseas in the immediate future, Allan, late of the 10th Siege Battery, now in Chicago, and one daughter Jessie, in New Hampshire.
The late Robert Laing ws born in 1841 in Aberdeenshire Scotland. He left Scotland in 1847 and settled at Chambly and Buckingham, in the Province of Quebec. He was educated at McGill University and later studied theology at Morin College , Quebec, and Edinburgh University, where he received his MA degree. He was ordained in 1873 and before coming to Halifax as minister of St. Matthew's Church was assistant at St. Paul's Church , Montreal.
He succeeded the late Rev Dr George M Grant in St. Matthew's pulpit and was followed, on his retirement after twelve years of strenuous work by the Rev Thomas Fowler.
From 1890 until a few weeks ago when aged forced him to give up the principalship , the Ladies' College flourished under the firm yet gentle rule of "Daddy" Laing, as he was familiarly and affectionately called by his students, and hundreds of young Canadian women received their education at the institution.
The whole country will feel the loss of a man who did such excellent service for Nova Scotia and for the Dominion of Canada and his host of friends who loved the man for himself, will mourn for a kind and gallant gentleman.





- James Stewart of the Artillery, who is expected to return from overseas in the immediate future,
- Allan, late of the 10th Siege Battery, now in Chicago
- and one daughter Jessie in New Hampshire -the 1911 Canada census shows Jessie at home with her parents in Halifax, she is then 30 years old

.
Stewart James Laing
1879-

Married
November 14 1906

Anita Courally Hunter
1875-




Enlistment records Stuart and Allan Laing


Stewart James joined the Canadain Mounted Rifles in 1902 in Kamloops , where he he stated that he was a ranch hand
Canadian Mounted Rifles
formed as independent Militia squadrons throughout Canada in the style of six regiments of Canadian Mounted Rifles raised for the South African War. Squadrons subsequently reorganised or disbanded:






James Laing emigrated to Canada with his second wife Mary and family of 6 children. They established themselves in St Joseph de Chambly, right next to the Chambly River basin, and at the beginning of the Richelieu River Canal. It has to be assumed that they arrived before 1851 as James and his family are listed on the first Canadian census. Whether or not James was actively farming the land, or was participating in a commercial venture at this time is unknown.

In the Seigneurie de Chambly Ouest, James Laing owned 90 aprents of land (3 by 30) on lot 28, for which he was also obliged to pay dues to the Seigneur of - 7 shilling and 6 pence per year.


The Canton de Chambly
in 1845 applied for incorporation as a municipality, the charter was granted in 1849.
It is noteworthy that at the time, the elite of Chambly canton was formed by English Canadaians and this probably had an influence on this decision.
From 1849 to 1908, the mayors were exclusively
of English extraction, but bilingual, from 1849 to 1864 , the councils were in the majority English and up to 1897 , the reports were written down in English.
At that time the Canton de Chambly was called English Village, and Chambly Basin , the French Village.

In 1885 the western territory was also incorporated under the name of Chambly Bassin. As for the remained of the territory which was evven larger than that of the two new municipalities together , it was incorporated in a rural municipality,
under the name of St Joseph of/de Chambly.
There were then three autonomous municipalities:- one rural, and twovillages.

A traveller from coming from the direction of
Montreal first enter the Municipalite of
St Joseph de Chambly, after going through
St Hubert, then passes Chambly, after crossing
the bridge over the Rivi�re de L�Acadie,
( formerly called Rivi�re Montr�al) and lastly
Fort Chambly , after crossing a narrow canal,
some fifteen hundred feet east of the Bridge
of the Chambly Canal

St Joseph de Chambly about 1965 was
incorporated under the name Ville de Carignan

image

James Laing - Concession 34 lot #28 , 90 acres Seigneurie de Chambly Ouest



2nd Marriage

James Laing
1818-1882
Married
21 Apr 1842
Aberdeen Scotland
Mary Adam
1823-1846



William Scott Laing
1842-
Alexander Reid Laing
1844-
Donald Laing
1845-

Mary Adam Laing, and son Donald Laing are assumed to be buried in Quebec ( both dying before the 1851 census records were taken.) It is uncertain if this burial would have been in Chambly, where the family appears to have settled, or if the deaths occured during the passage from Scotland, the burial taking place at sea, or perhaps the family first located themselves in another area of Quebec . ( much remains to be researched at this time, as no burial records have been located at Chambly, Que as of 2003)

1851 Census listing - Paroise de St Joseph de Chamblie
Laing
James
cultivateur ( farmer)
33

Adam
Margaret

21

Laing
George

15

Laing
Janet

13

Laing
Robert

10

Laing
William

8

Laing
Alex

6

Laing
James

3

Laing
Patrick

2








William Scott Laing
1842-
Married
29 June 1898
Iron Mountain, Michigan
Daisy Phinn
1875-1832


Daisy was the daughter of Martin Phinn and Minnie Williams, she was born in Canada







Alexander Reid Laing
1844-
Married
1868
Napierville Que
Sophronia Lucier
1844-1921


Jessie Laing
1868-1946
Millie Laing
1869-
Marie Louise Laing
1872-1978


Alexander Reid and family moved to the USA




Marie Louise Laing
1872-1978
Married

Marinette, Wisconsin
George Frederick Coulter
1863-



Lloyd Osbourne Coulter
1896-1980







James Laing , his third wife and the ever growing family moved to Buckingham, Quebec in or about the year 1861
The family progressed at this location, where a large farm was established .Both James and Margaret can be found in the local Buckingham cemetery, along with several of their descendants.



Buckingham: The Township and the town were named after the county in England. The first settler Justus Smith came from Montreal in 1823 He brought in a group of employees and built a sawmill on the wet bank of the Li�vre at the cascade just south of the bridge that carries traffic across the Li�vre in Buckingham. This feature was later named in honour of a Governor General Duffrin Falls. Smith sold hi mil in 1824 when it had just been completed to one of his workers Baxter Bowman. The Mill workers soon brought their families and established homes about the mill. Levi Bigelow who arrived in 1824 opened a general store to serve the growing settlement in 1826 he built a sawmill on the east side of the falls, by the Bowman enterprise. The settlement grew quickly A Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1835 it was served by the Rev John Brady from 1840 until 1862 he spent his winters in the shanties up river where most of the men of the settlement had gone. He was succeeded by the Rev L Jouvent and he in turn by the RevF R Michel. Under the leadership of the later priest a large church St Gr�goire was erected by 890 (it burned in 1920 and a new church was built in 1897 there were 475 families in Buckingham.



The first Protestant place of worship a union building that served several congregations for some years was erected in 1837 The first Anglican church was built in 1852, The present St Stephens church dates from 1899 The Presbyterian church on Main St. today, St Andrews United dates for 1890.





The James Maclaren Co Ltd bought by Ross Bros and in 1901 the Bigelow mill passed thought several seat of hands after 1850 in 1850 it. The Maclaren interests owned he Bowman mill from 1864. Buckingham the entrepot of supplies for the shanties up river was the point of departure of many sleighs carrying provisions northward in the winter.



The Hudson�s Bay Co kept a trading post about 50 miles up the Li�vre at Lac des Sables from the 1820�s. In 1849 this establishment was closed and a small store was opened in Buckingham by Thomas Taylor the former factor at Lac des Sables It was shortly taken over by Archibald McNaughton.

In 1874 Buckingham was thriving the Ottawa Citizen of Oct 6 noted that the village had grown more rapidly during the past twelve months than during the three pervious years. The road up the Li�vre had been opened up as far as Little Rapids with the aid of a gouvernment grant it was in such good condition that a buggy could be driven over it without difficulty. Eight new settlers, emigrants from France had taken advantage of the improved communication to set up homesteads along the Li�vre in the township of Portland. The plumbago (graphite) mines were in full operation Pennock & Co had twelve men digging Garret & Roberts had a new crushing mill at work that would make 400 tons of manufactured plumbago a week. It is said that many of the miners in Bucking ham came from Perth Ont



The pulp industry was established early in town A mill operated for a time at the Upper falls making ground wood pulp from about 1886.At the Upper falls mill site Walter A Williams began experimental electrochemical work in 1896.

John Thompson managed the old Bigelow sawmill for the Hamilton Bros of Hawkesbury from 1853 until 1869.


A large building at the north east corner of Main and Church Sts is said to have been built in 1841 it was the headquarters office and store of Ross Bros who operated the Bigelow sawmill from 1869 until 1901, it may have earlier been Levi Bigelow�s store



At 133 Joseph St the house was built by George Stacy about 1850, a book keeper for either Baxter Bowman or the Maclearn interest It was later the home of Arichibald McNaughton who operated a temperance hotel in the building.

At 170-172 Joseph St the house was built by John Higginson who came to Buckingham with Levi Bigelow it was at one time occupied by Mr P Simpson editor of the Buckingham Post.


The Buckingham Post has recorded the names of at least eighteen steamers that plied between Buckingham and High falls up stream they included L�Assomption, the Rocket, the Poupore, and the Edie May.




Buckingham
Buckingham Farm
Town of
Buckingham Quebec
Laing homestead
Buckingham, Quebec























James Laing Margaret Adam


3rd Marriage
James Laing
1818-1882
Married
1847
Chambly, Quebec, Canada
Margaret Adam
1830-1899
.
.
James Adam Laing
1849-1914
Patrick Laing
1850-
Peter Laing
1852-1933
Francis B Laing
1852-1923
Andrew Laing
1854-1858
David Morrison Laing
1856-1940
Henry Havelock Laing
1857-1930
Hugh Brodie Laing
1859-1926
Mary Helen Laing
1863-1953
Emeline Eaton Laing
1865-1953
Albert Leslie Laing
1869-1937
Agnes Laing
1870-
John Leslie Laing
1876-1924


This brought the total number of children born of James Laing to 20
Since this created a huge family file on rootsweb, I had to create individual pages for each of these children, so if you click on the name of the Laing you are seeking the link should  take you to the proper page.....



Laing Brothers

Laing

David, Henry, Hugh, Albert, & John

Visitors to date

Saturday, 11-Oct-2014 10:47:09 MDT