Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Please note there is a book on the market titled  ' Henryville , 175 ans de vie '
it is very well written  BUT IS ONLY in the French language. It is available at the City Hall in Henryville
(as of August 2005 it cost $5.00)  . There are area maps, and descriptions of the houses along with photos accompanied by a  a list of their owners. this is a very nice addition to anyone's library should they have roots in the Henryville area.

Municipalité d'Henryville
165, rue de l'Église
Henryville (Québec)
J0J 1E0
450.299.2655
450.299.2355 fax

 

 

PLEASE note  Roman Catholic records , mainly of French origin , are still located at the Church, and mostly likley can  be verified by writing the local  parish Priest

153 rue de l'Eglise , Henryville Quebec, J0J 1E0

 

 

 

 


 




fl 

fg

St Georges d' Henryville  
Seigneurie de Noyan
Quebec, Canada



fl

                                                                                                                                               

The village received its name from the family name of Edme Henry, Notary Public,  Agent for the Seigneur of Noyan ,  Napier Christe Burton. At this time 1810-1815, there were  some 50 French Canadian settlers located in and around the village area 


town

                    Coin of St George  et St Thomas streets

                    Coin of St George et St Thomas streets

                     Coin of St George et  St Thomas streets

 

This  map of the village of St Georges de Henryville was made from what I can determine some time after 1870.



On the map of  village it can be seen to have two more or less  distinct area   identified  - Villages des Anglais and Village des Canadiens. The English establishments ( Church & School ) at the easterly end and  the Canadien establishment ( Church & Convent ) on the westerly end. ( There is a note on the map stating that the placement of the older original house in maked with a white square )

In order to situate the village according to the more recent road maps , using the Rutland Railroad line at the top part of the map as the starting point  which is the most westerly part of the village, it can be established that the road running west to east in almost a straight line, cutting the village in two was  the road running to the junction  of  the South River, and the Chambly ( Richelieu) River , and Isle Aux Noix.  If you follow the road east then it would have,  back when it was first built,  taken you to St Sebastien, but today connects to Highway 133, which now runs to St Sebastien..

The first north-south road running  parallel to the railroad , runs from the turn off from  Highway 133, in front of the Catholic Church , crosses the road to Noyan and continues up over the hill, to join up with the road to Clarenceville. 


The main road from Clarenceville, coming from the south ended as can be seen on the map at the front door of the  English Church.  This road originates at the English Church in Clarenceville, crosses the South River about where Scotch Point was situated and runs north into Henryville.

Outside the
mapped area on the right side of your screen would be  Highway 133 , which takes you from Iberville, through Sabrevois, past Henryville, through St Sebastien, past Pike River, and St Armand, down to the border point of Phillipsbug.



 

 


Henryville  Listing
The Canada Directory
1851 ( page 113)


A village situated in the Seigniory of Henryville, county of Rouville, C.E. (Canada East) - distance from Montreal 37 miles, usual stage fare 10s . Population about 1200


 


Beaulac Joseph Blacksmith XXXXXXXXX
Gilligan Patrick Wheelwright
Bergeron Baptiste Blacksmith
Goodenow  Edward General storeSaw mill
Billings Timothy Saw mill
Herbert L G Doctor
Bullis & Brown
Tannery
Lanier J M General store
Burnier Thomas Carpenter
Lanoue David Innkeeper
Campbell Charles Doctor
Larivière C Baker
Campbell Owen General store
Kupien Isidore Saddler
Campbell
Patrick General Store
Magnant J Baker
Chicoine Jean Blacksmith
Mellon Peter Tailor
Côte John  Shoemaker
Morgan Joseph Wheelwright
Delisle D B Doctor
Parker Samuel Innkeeper
Demers Edouard R Notary Public
Parker George W Saddler
Demers Narciasse Inkeeper
Picard Louis Wheelwright
Demers  
Joseph Butcher
Roy Joseph Shoemaker
Dougherty Patrick General store
St Aubin  Rev T  Roman Catholic
Dyon Louis Wheelwright
Touin Julien Shoemaker
Fournier Louis Tanner
Tramble Pierre Blacksmith
Gariepy Joseph General Store
Wells Horace Postmaster





Property listing as per the  Cadastre Abrege de la   Seigneurie de Noyan , according the the 1854 Seigneurial Act and its amendments ( made 24 Jan 1861).


Lot Number
Registered to 1854
Area/acres
First Owner
Original date of concession
1 Part lot
Pierre Dandurand (jr)
1.38
To follow

1 & 2
Timothé Lague
1.92


3
Nazaire Lizotte
½


4
Joseph Allard
4.27


5
Terence McGinn
3.23


6       
E S Goodnow
4


7      
Isaac Hogle
4


8
Presbyterien Church
4


9 Part lot 
School Commission
½


9 Part lot
James  N Taylor



10 Part lot
Albert Chapman



10 Part lot
Jean Bapt Chicoine
½


11
Patrick McKernon
4


12
Jean Marie Bonneau
4


13
William Judson
4


14
James N Taylor
4


15
Succession I H Roe



16
Pierre Grard



17
Jacob Bonneau
4


18
Luc Fortin



19
Pierre Elie
½


20  Part lot
A L Demers
½


20 Part lot
Joseph Lâiner
½


21
Alexis Simard
1.13


22 Part lot
E R Demers
¼+


22 Part lot
Joseph Picard
½+


23 Part lot  
E R Demers
½


23 Part lot
Israel Demers
½


23 Part lot
Louise Fournier
¾


23 Part lot
Joseph Demers
1


24 Part lot
Hubert Dupis
¾


24 Part lot
Narcisse Demers
½+


25   
Narcisse Demers
2¾+


26
Terence McGinn



27
E S Goodnow



28
Owen Campbell
4


29
Anglican Church
4


30
Samuel Parker
4


31
Alvin  C Sturtevant
4


32    Part lot
Alvin C Sturtevant
4


32 Part lot
Edward Rodden
¼


33 Part lot
Andre Rocque
2


33 Part lot
Joseph Chicoine
2


34
Lemesurier & Company
4


35
Jean Marie Boneau
4


36
Toussaint Martin
4


37
Antoine Gosselin
4


38    
William Morgan
8

1818 owned by Seth Warner
(2nd concession old survey)
39
Louis Brouillet
½


40 Part lot
Louis Dion
1


40 Part lot
Jacob Guertin
¼+


A    
Polly Ann Warner
½+






Descriptive of Henryville
Mitchell & Co's  Canada Classified Directory  1865-1866
(pages 587-738
)

Accountants

Dubrule,   A.
Laford,     S

xxxx

Flour & Feed Dealers

Demers , A J
Demers, A L
Larocque, L H
Macfie & Townsend

Agents (Collecting)

Tremblay,  Francois
Warner Henry E

Flour & Grist Mills

Goodwin, E S

Auctionneers Warner,     Henry E.
General Merchants Demers & Darache
Fortin , Pierre
Giard , Richard
Goodnow & Sturtevant
Lâiner, L M
Lamoureaux & Frères
Lecuyer , Sirfoi
Macfie & Townsend
Baliffs Tremblay,  Francois
Warner Heny E
Grocers Demers, A R
Dubuile, H B
Dupuis, C
Demers A L
Lecuyer, S
Blacksmiths
Brodeur,   Joseph
Chicoine, Jean  B
Chicoine,  Anselme
Chicoine,  Joseph
Dupuis,      Herbert
Hugron,      Joseph
Marcessault, Moise
Pilette,    Augustve
Tremblay,   Jules
Harness & Trunk Makers Heil, L A
Parker George W
Boot and Shoe Makers
Brouiette,   Louis
Dubé ,   Jean  B
Heil,          L A
Lemieux,   Joseph
Lavarture,  Cyrille
Ratté,        Fred
Rivard,       Pierre
Tremblay,  Jules
Hide & Leather Dealers
Bernier , Thomas
Fournier & Darache
Brick Manufacutres Allard,  Joseph
Allard,  Julien
Hosiery Manufactures
Dandurand, Margurite
Demers, Mme Edouard
Fitzpatrick, Mme D
Lecuyer , Mme S
Rivard, Mlle Agnes
Butchers
Bonneau, Henri
Bonneau, Jerome
Hotels
Barry, Michael
Demers, Narcaisse
Tremblay, Francois
Carpenters & Builders Bedford,   Joseph
Buin,        Antoine
Cazeau ,  Joseph
Ellis ,        Robert G
Gamache, E
Heil,    P Timothée
Tremblay , Michel
Justice of the Peace
Bissonette, A.
Demers, A L
Fournier, Louis
Hogle, Isaac
Roy, Lucien
Carriage & Waggon makers
Mason & Bricklayers Devony, James
Leclair, Joseph
Leclair, Maurice
McCarthy, Denis
Nicholson, Dominique
Nicholson, Patrick
Papineau, Felix
Cattle Dealers Lormier, J M
Milliners
Dandurand, Margurite
Demers, Mme Edouard
Fitzpatrick, Mme D
Lecuyer , Mme S
Rivard, Mlle Agnes
Chemists & Druggists Tassé, Doctor Notaries Public Demers, Edouard
Trudeau, L H
China, Glass & Earthernware Demers, A J
Demers, A L
Macfie & Townsend
Painters (House, Sign & Ornamental)
Berthiaume, Francois
Dupuis, Emond
Desrochers, Azaire
Dion, Louis
Ellis, Robert G
Commission, Forwarding  & Shipping Merchants Larocque, C H
Physicians & Surgeons
Hebert, Doctor L G
Tassé, Doctor R
Conveyancers
Demers, Edouard R
Trudeau, L H
Sawmill Proprietors Goodnow, E D
Dentists
Tassé, Doctor R Sewing Machine Agents Conner, Daniel
Dressmakers
Dandurand, Margurite
Demers, Mme Ed
Lecuyer , Mme S
Rivard, Mlle Agnes
Tanners & Curriers Bernier, Thomas
Fournier & Darche
Dry Goods Merchants Demers, A J
Teachers of Schools & Academies Lafond, Edouard

1871 Lovell's Directory

Henryville A village situated on Rivière du Sud, in the Seigniories of Noyan and Sabrevois in the county and district of  Iberville Distance form Montreal 40 miles , from Isle aux Noix 4 miles from Clarenceville 6 miles from Stanbridge 8 miles and from the Rivière Richelieu 3 miles. Access by railway from Montreal to Desrivières a station of the Vermont Central railway and by stage  from Desrivières station to this place once a day , fare $2. Mail daily , population about 700


Also called St Georges d’Henryville and Rivière du Sud

 

 
Allard Joseph
X
Delisle Alexis L J.  P.  School Commissioner Commissioner of Small Causes & Store Owner X
Hogle Isaac J. P. & Capitan of Milita X
Poudet Alphonse Farmer
Allard Jules Bricklayer
Demers & Bonneau  
Store keepers
Hugron
Joseph
Blacksmith

Ratté
Norbert
Shoemaker
Barnège Jean Bapte Farmer
Demers Edouard R Notary Public , Commissioner for taking Affidavits
Kèrouac
Louis
Farmer

Robert
Ludger
Carriage Maker
Beaudin Pierre
Laborer
Demers Israel Store Keeper
Lacoutue
Pierre
Councillor

Roch
André
Farmer
Benoit George

Demers & Lemaire
Hotel keepers
Lafont
Edouard
Store Keeper

Roch
Joseph
Farmer
Berthiaume Francois Sexton
Demers Narcisse Demers & Lemaire
Lânier
Jean Marie
Trader

Roy
Jean B
Farmer
Berthiaume Hilaire Laborer
Denis David Joiner
Larocque
C Hector
Commission Mèrchant

Roy
Lucien
MAYOR & President School Commission
Bissonett
Dolphin Clerk
Desrochers Azaire  Joiner
Larocque
Mrs Macer
widow Frs Xavier

Ryan
John
School Commissioner
Bonneau Jacob Farmer
Douré Joseph Notary Student
Lauzon
Télésphore
Ensign of Militia

Savard
Charles
Painter
Bonneau Jean Marie  Farmer
Dupuis Edmond Carriage Maker
Lauzon
Norbert
Joiner

Simard
Alexis
Son
Bonneau Jérémie Laborer

Dupuis Hubert Blacksmith
Leclaire
Maurice
Mason

Simard
Alexis
Councillor
Bonneau Henri of Demers & Bonneau - Store Keeper
Dupuis S. S. Clerk
Lemaire
Louis
of Demers & Lemaire

Simard
Jean B
Farmer
Boucher Charles Farmer
Ellis Robert G. Councillor
Lemieux
Frs Xavier
Tanner

St Aubin
Toussaint
Roman Catholic Farther
Boucher  
Joseph Laborer
Fortin Pierre J. P. & School Commissioner
Lemieux
Joseph
Shoemaker

St Aubin
Jean B
Farmer
Brodeur Joseph Blacksmith
Gendreau  Antoine 

Lestage
André
Councillor

Stevenson
Miss
Schoolteacher
Brosseau Issac

Gendreau Julien Farmer
Lockey
John E
Proprietor American House

Tassé
Roumulad
Doctor
Brosseau Ménard Laborer
Gervais Solomon Laborer
Magnan
Manuel
Laborer

Thérien
Benjamin
Laborer
Bullock John J. P. 
Giguère J. Ulric Clerk
Mailloux
Edouard
Farmer

Timineur
Joseph
Farmer
Careau
Joseph
Carriage Maker

Girouard
Guillaume
Laborer

Mailloux
Miss Célina
Dressmaker

Tremblay
Edouard
Blacksmith
Casavant
Antoine
Tanner

Girouard
Phidime
Blacksmith

Mastin
Henry B
Border at American House

Tremblay
Francois
Hotel Keeper
Chicoine
Joseph
Blacksmith

Giroux
Frs. Xavier
Shoemaker

Morin
Mrs Frs Xavier
Seamtress

Tremblay
Jules
Shoemaker
Comeau
Ambroise
Councillor

Goulet
Louis
Farmer

Patenaude
Antoine
Farmer

Trudeau
L H
Notary public*
Coté
F. P.
Roman Catholic Father

Hébert
Jean B
Laborer

Patenaude
Moise
Farmer

Viel
Joseph
Blacksmith
Cyr
Michel
Farmer

Hill
Mrs Pierre
Tailoress

Picard
Mrs Suzanne
widow of Antoine

Warner
Henry E
Harnessmaker
Dagenais
Jean B
Farmer

Hill
Pierre
Joiner

Poisson
Marcel
Councillor

Warner
Mrs Esther
widow of Henry E


DIRECTORY LISTINGS FOR SURROUNDING TOWNS WHERE MANY OF THESE FAMILES HAD TIES MAY BE FOUND AT  :

Des Rivières
St Sébastien
Sabervois
Venise
Noyan Clarenceville






Records show a Hank Derick arriving in about 1811 and opening a lot adjacent to where the Warner bridge is located to day,  he built a saw mill at that point and used the force of the water to run the operation.
.

                              Warner's bridge circa 20th century 

couvent

couvent

couvent

couvent

.
                                                                  
A Mr. M M Bradsley opened and operated the first general store in the town

Records show that the home of Monsieur M A Poissant was built on the site that was originally the site of  the Parker Hotel, owned and operated by G  Parker.


The grainery of Mix & Goodnow unfortunately burned down, and they decided to establish themselves elsewhere

In September , 1850  a cholera epidemic struck the area, causing grief to many families
 


Canadian families  of Henryville included

Luc Fortin  from Cap St Ignace who married Margaret Warner
        Luc purchased to lot of land of Antoine & Jérome Tremblay in 1817
.
Francois Xavier Darche  1819  ( according to a note received from Jacqueline Darche  a cholera epidemic  in the summer of 1849, took the lives of François Xavier, his wife Théophile Charlotte Demers ( daughter of François Demers & Charlotte Davignon), leaving a very large family in the hands of François Xavier Darche (jr) . This son was to have opened a tannery with Mr Fournier, however  the place burned to the ground , before they managed to  open up. These two gentlemen, finally opened a General Store together,   which is  the  present location of  the hardware store.  In the 1860's the family left Henryville to establish themselves in the Eastern Townsips) 
.
Jean Baptiste Le Compte
Ferdinand Létourenau
Damase Bouchard
Jean Baptiste Beaudoin
Thomas Bernier  who married Julie Létourneau
Antoine & Joseph Brosseau   of L'Acadie - St Luc
Jean Baptise Simard
la famile Demers



Irish families of Henryville included

James McCarthy  1816 and his sons John , Daniel, Patrick( who moved to Boston) and a daughter
           James McCarthy married Honra Ryan and produced 14 children
Thomas Leahy  -1819
Williams Gorman - 1822
John McCawliff    1824
James MCCawliff
James Melaven
Maurice Melavan
John Ryan from Cork
William Ryan
Patrick Howrigan and his sons Patrick , John and Thomas
James Dillion
Patrick Devery
William O'Connor



Scottish families of Henryville included

James McGillvary  born 1790  died 1871
         who married Majorie Campbell (1818)
     thier daughter Majorie McGillvary 1823-1851 married Charles Campbell,  a cousin
Peter Taylor           1782 -1844
John McIntyre        1782- 1857
Joseph Bower         1789- 1848
John McCarther      1774- 1755
Alex Johnson           1787 -1860
Robert Gunn           1790 -1860
Daniel Comer          1778- 1861
William Morrison     1796- 1854
James Miller             1761-1848
Archibald Kennedy
David Miller                1784-1871



American  families in Henryville included

Col Samuel Mix    1756 - 29 Mar 1826
Seth Warner         1777-  27 Oct 1854
John Forbes           1785-  1850
Issac Hogel              1798-1875 - Capt of militia Hernyville
John Mosher
John Goodnod
Henry Morgan
Richard Morgan       married 1840 to Hermine Breakenridge
John Morgan
William Morgan        married 1848 to Hester Marietta Warner



The widow of James Wright of the Royal Artillery  07/06/1818 , married John McGillvary on the 23/04/1882


According to records in 1838 the family of François Demers et Charlotte Davigon, established themselves in Henryville, along with the family's of Fortin, Lemieux, Lecompte, Létourneau, Bernier, Leclair,  Ratté, Laflamme dit Quémeneur. ( a note received from Jacquelin Darche explained that the Laflamme came about beacause the first Quémeneur lived on the tip of  Ile D 'Orléans and his responsibility was to keep a roaring fire going to warn the ship of the danger ( of the shoals , I would imagine)- this name she writes at times is also spelt  - Timeneur - .


Joseph Gariepy donated part of his land in 1854 for the building of  a convent , properly named the Covent de St Georges

couvent 

McCarthy- family

Albert McCarthy

Albert McCarthy died tragically in Vermont, he was also the founder of the  Rual Telephone Company of  Henryville and Mayor of Henryville in 1913

Masterson - family
Antidote - Bat Masterson - born in Henryville, Quebec, 1853   (A) , (B), (C) the Masterson family records as researched by William Marquis


Warner- family

November 27 1770

"Gov. Tyron of New York issued a proclamation, offering a reward of twenty pounds each, for the arrest of Ethan Allen, Seth Warner, Remember Baker, and some others."

 

May 11 1775

"Crown Point, now garrisoned by a sergeant and twelve men only, captured by [Seth] Warner and Capt. Remember Baker. The latter with his company had been summoned from the Winooski river settlement by Allen, and on the way had met and captured two boats bound for St. John's with news of the capture of Ticonderoga."

Colonel Seth Warner takes the British fort at Crown Point. Although the fort has been allowed to fall into disrepair by the British, the tiny garrison of a dozen men hand over another 100 or so cannon to the rebels

 

December 26, 1784
"Col. Seth Warner died in his native parish of Woodbury (now Roxbury) Conn. His services in the patriot army resulted in early death. Connecticut has erected to his memory a substantial granite monument with this inscription on its north side: 'Captor of Crown Point, Commander of the Green Mountain Boys in the repulse of Carlton at Longueil and in the Battle of Hunnarton and the associate of Stark, in the victory at Bennington.'

 

 

 

 

 


 

 


William Morgan of Montreal married Hester Warner  daughter of Seth  and inherits lot #38
before  1905 this  lot # 38 is sold to Léon Bénard who married Sarah Warner daugther of Henry

Alcibiade Roy was married to Marie Rose Raymond, grand daughter of Henry Warner

Bernier -family

                                                                                                                                                              T A Bernier

Thomas Alfred Bernier who was born in  Henryville, was the first Mayor of Saint Boniface, Manitoba. Mr Bernier
held many official position in what is called Manitoba today, he was assistant secretary of the provincial assembly
Registar of the University of Manitoba, superindendant of Instruction and Senator of the Province of Manitoba


ROE - family

Henry Roe

ROE, Henry, Canadian educator, born in Henryville, Missisquoi County, Quebec, 22 February, 1829. He was educated at McGill college and Bishop's college, and was graduated at the latter in 1854. He was ordained a priest in the Anglican church in 1852, became rector of St. Matthew's church, Quebec. in 1855, and of St. Ann's, Richmond, in 1868, and was appointed examining chaplain to the bishop of Quebec in 1864. He became professor of divinity in the University of Bishop's college in 1873, and is now vice-principal and dean of the faculty of divinity in that institution. In 1879 he received the degree of D.D. from Bishop's college. Dr. Roe has been for twenty-five years the Canadian correspondent of the London "Guardian." Besides sundry sermons, he has published " Pamphlet on Episcopal Veto" (1859) ; " Treatise on Purgatory, Transubstantiation, and the Mass" (1862) ; "Pamphlet on Clerical Studies" (1864) ; "Tract on the Place of Religious Giving in the Christian Economy" (1880) ; and "Pamphlet on the Place of Laymen in the Spiritual Work of the Church" (1887).


Dairy

view towards

St Sebastien

Public School

View from St Sebastien

off route 133

View from Sabrevois

off route 133

View from east

Unknown

Fire Hall

 

.

several farms in area

 













MasterStats.com



 

.