Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   



Duncan Alexander Campbell
of
Glenfeochan






From the time that the Macfie became interested in sugar refining, the relationship with this particular Campbell family took hold . The first interaction was that of business it appears , followed then by socializing, then finally creating a blood line link between the two. The Campbells had interests in many business, but the one of most concern to the Macfie was that of the sugar plantations.

From notes left by Ann Macfie we learn that the manor house of Langhouse which is today more closley assocaiated with the family name of Macfie was sold to the Macfie pergionir by one Duncan Campbell. This manor house of three stories was not at all similar in appearance to the Langhouse of today, which was castellized by William Macfie in the early 1800's. Futhermore we lean from this note of Ann's that the house was received by Duncan Campbell as a wedding gift ( or perhaps dowry) at his marriage to Christian Kelburn , October 18 ,1784.

Chrisitan father's Cuthbert Kelburn was at that time owner of the Manor house. Cuthbert, or Cuddie as he was known was for that matter born on the Ilse of Bute , 10 of May 1724, a child of Robert Cuthbert and Christian Campbell . Cuthbert , married Shusanna Campbell on the 25 of Sept 1856, and Christian Kelburn was born the 24 of May 1761.

Apparently there is a stone over the garden entrance of Langhouse that shows a date of 1705, a date that has been taken in belief that the Manor house, or a dwelling of similar stature would have been built. Further study may well reveal more of the history of the constuction of Langhouse and its relation ship to the Kelburn - Campbell family. Perhaps Cuthbert recieved the manor house as a wedding gift ( or dowry) at his marriage to Shusanna Campbell and it were her parents Robert and Christian Campbell who had the first stone struck in the construction of the manor house that we know today as Langhouse.










1 st marriage

Duncan Alexander Campbell

-1861

Married
1835
Greenock, Scotland

Sarah McFarlane
1809-1840

Ann Barr Campbell
1837-1856
Sarah Jane Christian Campbell
1838-xxxx



2 nd marriage
Duncan Alexander Campbell
-1861

Married
May 18, 1842
Greenock, Scotland
Margaret Macfie
1817-1911

Jessie Johnstone Campbell
1843-1934
Duncan Alexander Campbell (jr)
1844-1879
William Macfie Campbell
1848-1928
Margaret Macfie Campbell
1849-1950
John Charles Campbell
1853-1936


Duncan Alexander Campbell's second marriage was to Margaret Macfie , his first was to Sarah McFarlane, in 1835. This first union produced two daughters Ann Barr Campbell (27-10-1837) and Sarah Jane Christian Campbell ( 23-12-1838) . The date of the death of Sarah McFarlane is not known at this time.




Death of Duncan A. Campbell Esq. - After a protracted period of bad health, this worthy man died at his country-seat on Monday afternoon. he was for many years engaged largely in business in this town and port, and was distinguished by enterprise, ability, and honour. He retired a few years ago to a fine place at Appin.

Probably not many accustomed to active life, realise when they leave the bustle of the market-place all the pleasure which they had anticipated when oppressed with its cares and anxieties; whether that was his case or not, Mr Campbell's love of public usefulness and his ever active desire to do good, made his residence at Appin a blessing every way to the population and district, and his friendliness of disposition made an occasional visit to his old friends at Greenock a very pleasant occupation. He was a universal favourite, especially loved and respected by those most nearly allied with him, and who had the best opportunities of knowing his sterling character.

He was for many years a member of the Town Council, and was chosen by his colleagues to fill the office of Treasurer. He was also a useful director of most of our benevolent institutions; and to him as much as to any man is due the honour of having lent effective aid to the establishment of the Greenock Academy, whose funds he carefully and laboriously managed for many years. His enterprise was exhibited by his ready assistance to promote several of the largest establishments in Greenock; and his sociality was shown in his effective aid in establishing the Ardgowan Club, whose bowling-green was the earliest in the town.

Although more seldom met with of late years than before, his many friends deeply regret the departure of one so good-hearted, so true, and just.

Bequests by Mr D. A. Campbell - In our notice of the death of this estimable gentleman we alluded to the deep interest he had always taken in the educational and benevolent institutions of the town. The following handsome bequests show that although latterly no longer a citizen he continued to regard their progress with warm solicitude. He has desired -

�.100 to be invested in the funds of the town of Greenock for a case of mathematical instruments to be given as a yearly prize to the best mathematical scholar in the Greenock Academy, to be denominated the "Campbell Prize."
�20 to the Greenock Infirmary.
�10 to the House of Refuge.
�10 to the Female Benevolent Society.
�10 to the Charity Schoo�
�10 to the Poor of the Free Middle Church.
�10 to the Free Middle Church Mission.
�200 to be invested in the funds of the town of Greenock for the Sustentation Fund of the Free Church, and a sum of �20 to each of the following schemes connected with the Free Church, viz. - The Sustentation Capital Fund, Aged and Infirm Ministers', Education, Home Mission, Highlands and Islands, and the Jewish Fund.





A venerable and much esteemed figure has been removed by the death at Edinburgh of Mrs Campbell of Barriemore, Appin. Mrs Campbell, who was in her 95th year, was a daughter of the late William Macfie of Langhouse, on the Clyde, and a sister of the late well-known Robert Macfie of Airds and Oban. Early in life she was married to the late Duncan Alexander Campbell, the lineal representative of the Glenfeochan branch of the Campbells, who died in 1861, leaving the young widow in charge of three sons and three daughters to whom she acted as father and mother. The eldest son, singularly handsome, died while still a young man; but Dr. Campbell and Colonel Campbell, and the three daughters still survive. The three daughters married and Mrs Campbell lived to see her great-grandchildren.

For more than half a century she lived in her beautiful home in Barriemore, exercising a wide hospitality, and not only esteemed but revered for her unostentatious beneficence. She was characterised by great humility, and was notable for her great reverence for everything sacred. Till well beyond her ninetieth year she was able to attend church, and no more regular or devout worshipper soulc be found in any sanctuary. She was widely read, and very musical.

On Monday the 20th inst. a day of sunshine and beauty, her remains were laid to rest in Greenock Cemetery. She was interred beside her husband the late D. A. Campbell, J. P. of Barriemore and Greenock who died at Appin in 1861.

The Rev. D. C. Ross U.F. minister of Appin, officiated. The funeral from Edinburgh and in Greenock was attended by numerous friends and relatives, among whom were:- Dr. W. M. Campbell, M.D., Liverpool and Colonel J. C. Campbell (sons); Mr Charles Lloyd, D.L. (Cardiganshire, son-in-law); Mr D. J. Macfie, J.P., Borthwick Hall (brother); Mr J. C. Marquis, Mr D. A. Campbell, and Mr G. L. B. Lloyd (grandsons); Dr Johnstone Macfie, M.D., of Langhouse, Mr Andrew Cunningham, London; Mr Robert Cunningham, do., Mr J. R. Macfie, Glasgow, (nephews); Mr Jas. Pattison, Kilmalcolm; Dr Marshall, Mr D. McDonald, Mr. D. A. Morrison and Mr Findlay Morrison, Greenock; Mr James Taylor, Mr D. Mackay, Glasgow; Mr D. C. T. Sloan, Helensburgh; Mr R. Kilpatrick, Mr J. E. Graham, advocate; Mr Ian MacIntyre, W.S.; Dr Lamont Leckie, and Dr. Kenmure Melville, Edinburgh.

The Town Clerk of Greenock also attended as representing the Corporation of Greenock, of which the father and husband of the deceased were once very prominent members. The beautiful Greenock Cemetery, looking its best on a bright winter afternoon, seemed a fit resting place for one whose long life and loving character had won the affection and respect of so many here and in the south.









(photos circa 1878)


Jessie Johnstone Campbell
1843-1934

Married
April 10, 1866
Edinburgh, Scotland

John Marquis (iii)
1841-1902


John Campbell Marquis
1876-1928
Margaret Dorothea Marquis
1878-1943
Robina Marquis
1879-1960


Jack2� Jack 6 Jack 1890
Girls 2� Girls 1890

The Marquis family



William Macfie Campbell
1848-1928

Married
October 23 1872
Jessie Barbara Macfie
1847-1930


.
Mary Graham Campbell
1873-
Margaret Macfie Campbell
1875-1890
Jessie Graham Campbell
1878-1880
Ethel May Campbell
1880-
Duncan Alexander Campbell
1886-1914





Margaret Macfie Campbell
1849-1950
Married
April 26, 1876
Liverpool, England
Charles Lloyd
1847-1861
Charles Edward Bowen Lloyd
1877-1877
Alister Charles Bowen Lloyd
1878-
Francis Charles Bowen Lloyd
1880-1966
Margaret Gladys Bowen Lloyd
1881-1983
Ivor Alan Bowen Lloyd
1884-1909
Duncan Ian Bowen Lloyd
1886-1915

Gwion Llewelyn Bowen Lloyd
1888-19 15




Notes from Lady McLure's register, Duncan and Gwion , both served in the German War 1914 and were killed at Dardenelles

Charles Lloyd, was M. A . Oxford, Warden for Cariganshire, J P and D. L county of Cardigare, & J P county of Carmarthen

Alister Charles Bowen Lloyd
1878-
Married
1913
Mary Pitcairin Stack


Alister Campbell Bowen Lloyd
1917-1944


Alister the son was killed in action near Caen, Calvados, 11 June 1944

Margaret Gladys Bowen Lloyd
1881-1983
Married
August 11, 1903
George Eustace Crawford
1865-1953

Elanor Mary Lloyd Crawford
1908-1995
George Ivor Crawford
1910-

Charles Edward Johnston Crawford
1912-2001
Ann Crawford





Margaret Emily Frances Crawford
1905-
Married
April 26, 1909

John Clare Llewellyn-Smith
1909-1990
Elizabeth Marion Llewellyn-Smith
1934-
Michael John Llewellyn-Smith
1839-
Christopher Hubert Llewellyn-Smith

Michael John Llewellyn-Smith
1839-
Married


Colette Gaulier

Son Llewellyn-Smith
Daughter Llewellyn-Smith

Christopher Hubert Llewellyn-Smith

Married


Virginia Grey

Son Llewellyn-Smith
Daughter Llewellyn-Smith

Elanor Mary Lloyd Crawford
1908-1995
Married
August 6, 1932
England

Edward Max Nicholson

#1 Son Nicholson
#2 Son Nicholson

George Ivor Crawford
1910-
Married


Dorothy Unknown

Jocelyn Crawford
Sarah Crawford
John Crawford

Ann Crawford

Married

England

Michael Piper
1921-1997
Johanna Piper
Ben Piper
Camilla Piper
Hilary Piper




.
Duncan Alexander Campbell
1886-1914

Married

Yve Marion I de Hamel



.
Frances Marion Campbell
1914-










John Charles Campbell
1853-1936
Married
July 19 1884
Helen Marian Hall
-1927



Constances Margaret Campbell
1885-
Helen Dorothea Campbell
1887-1976
Isabel Mary Campbell
1889-
Duncan Alister Campbell
1891-




Notes in Lady McLure's register have John as Col Royal Engineers, served in German war 1914

Duncan, as Major served in German War 1914


The Late Colonel J. C. Campbell, Barriemore, Appin


Colonel J. C. Campbell R.E., whose death occurred recently at Swanage, at the age of 84, was the last surviving son of Mr Duncan Campbell, who had acquired part of the property of Ardtur, Appin, in 1856, when he build the house known as Barriemore, in order to distinguish this property from Ardtur farm, which still belonged to the Airds estate.

Mr Campbell belonged to a branch of the Argyll Campbells representing the family of the Clan Donnachaidh Campbells of Glenfeochan, who held their lands from about 1360 until the estate was sold at the beginning of last century by Colonel James Campbell, the 13th laird. Mr Campbell was married to a sister of Mr R. Macfie of Airds who survived him for many years, and occupied Barriemore until 1910 when it was sold. The present owner having bought the farm, reverted to the original name of Ardtur.

Colonel J. C. Campbell was educated at Edinburgh Academy (1865-70), Edinburgh University (1870-71) and the Royal Military Academy (1871-73), from which he passed out top, and in which he was senior under officer winning the "Sword of Honour," as the most exemplary cadet, and the "Pollock Medal," as the most distinguished cadet. His "Pollock Medal" is now deposited in the Scottish Naval and Military Museum at the Castle, Edinburgh. He received his commission in the Royal Engineers in 1873, reaching the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in 1899. He retired in 1905, having been Colonel on half-pay two years earlier.

His early war services were in the Jowaki Expedition (1877-78) and the Afghan War (1878-80). For the latter he was mentioned in dispatches, and received the "Ali Musjid" Medal with clasp. In the Great War he issued from retirement, and as commander of the Royal Engineers in several camps, his knowledge and experience were found of great value. He retired at the end of 1916.

Apart from his military capacity, Colonel Campbell possessed personal attributes, which adorned his personality. He wrote good poetry and painted well, as the views he made in India show. He was a good shot, and frequently went over Beach, Morvern, with his cousin, Dr Johnstone Macfie. Fishing and boating were also favourite pursuits.

In 1884 he married Helen Marian Hall, who predeceased him, and he is survived by one son Major D. A. Campbell, late R.G.A. who won distinction in the Great War, and by three daughters.



Helen Dorthea Campbell
1887-1976
Married
1918
Colonel Unknown
-





Duncan Alister Campbell
1891-
Married

Cecilia Beatrix Rickards
-19




E-Mail
Index
Guestbook

All and any contibutions to this family web page will be welcomed