SMILEY.3 Parents: Living SMILEY and Living MILLER.|
Living SMILEY.3 Parents: Living SMILEY and Living MILLER.
Spouse: Living HALSTEAD.
Robert SMILEY2,3 died Unknown.3 He is reference number 30176.
Spouse: Esther HANNAH. Robert SMILEY and Esther HANNAH were married. Reference Number:567297
Robert SMILEY3,1706 was born in 1732.3 He died in 1810 in Somerset, Pennsylvania.3 He is reference number 22183.
Robinson R SMILEY3,38 died Unknown.3 He is reference number 22285.
Aaron SMIRL395 was born on 11 Dec 1803.395 [2333582.ged]
Jefferson County Missouri Commissions and Marriages 1838 - 1849 Page 211
Gu ardianship: Thomas Burgess as principal, with Thomas Moss and Aaron A. Smirl as securities, bound $50; Thomas Burgess named guardian of Austin Williams, minor of the age of 7 years. dated 16 March 1847. Parents: William SMIRL and Abigal ALEXANDER.
Charles Edward SMIRL395 was born on 16 Jan 1856 in Ottercreek, Jersey, IL.395 He died in 1899.395 Parents: Thomas SMIRL and Euphemia DAUGHERTY.
Effie SMIRL395 was born on 15 Feb 1864.395 She died on 30 Jun 1865.395 Parents: Thomas SMIRL and Euphemia DAUGHERTY.
Elizabeth SMIRL395 was born in 1787.395 She died on 5 Sep 1873 in St Clair Co., IL.395 Parents: George W SMIRL and MARY.
Spouse: George ATCHISON.
Ernest Howard SMIRL395 was born on 26 May 1863.395 He died on 24 Mar 1864.395 Parents: Thomas SMIRL and Euphemia DAUGHERTY.
George SMIRL395 was born in 1780.395 Parents: George W SMIRL and MARY.
George Henry SMIRL395 was born on 11 Aug 1851 in Ottercreek, Jersey, IL.395 He died on 15 Jul 1877.395 Parents: Thomas SMIRL and Euphemia DAUGHERTY.
George Henry SMIRL395 was born on 15 Jul 1877 in Adopted.395 Parents: James Madison SMIRL and Susan Emily MARSTERS.
George W SMIRL395 was born in 1751 in Westmoreland Co PA.395 He lived in Westmoreland Co., PA in 1775.395 He lived in Bourbon Co., KY Tax List. in 1789.395 He lived in Pendleton Co., KY in 1803.395 He lived in St. Louis, And Later Jefferson Co., MO in 1803.395 He died after 1813.395 [2333582.ged]
George SMIRL was in Westmoreland Co., PA as early as 1775. He served there in the Revolutionary War.29 He sold his land in 1788 and appeared in the 1789 Bou rbon Co., KY tax list. He later owned land in Pendleton Co., KY, which he sold in 1803.4 On an 1804 delinquint tax list it was stated he had moved to "Spain" [Missouri], where he lived
in St. Louis Co., and what was later Jefferson Co. , MO. He was living in 1813. He married Mary who was living in 1820.
1. Jane SMIRL b. say 1771 m.bond John STUARD [STUART/STEWART]
19 Dec. 1791 ; m.2. (Israel?) GABLE; living in 1826
2. Martha SMIRL b. say 1774; m.bond Jam es STEWART [STUART] 2 Sep. 1794
3. William SMIRL b. say 1777;14 m. 29 May 180 0 Abigail ALEXANDER; living 1821
4. George SMIRL b. say 1780; living 1806
5. John SMIRL b. say 1783; d. ca. 1826 Jefferson Co., MO
6. James C. SMIRL b. say 1785; m. Louisa J. JOHNSTON; d. between 28 July13 and 11 Sep. 1821 Knox Co., I N
7. Elizabeth SMIRL b. ca. 1787; m. George ATCHISON, Jr. 22 Nov. 1807 ?(d. 2 Sep. 1873 St. Clair Co., IL)?
8. Thomas SMIRL b. say 1788; living 1812
9. Nan cy SMIRL b. ca. 1790 KY; m. John HERRINGTON; d. between 1 June 1860 and 19 Feb. 1863 Jefferson Co., MO
Either George, John, or Thomas married Elizabeth LIN DSEY by ca. 1814.
1. "Westmoreland Co., PA Civil Court Docket, Jan. Term 1775," Old Westmoreland, Vol. II, (No. 3, Feb. 1982), 23.
2. Westmoreland Co., PA deeds D:39-40, FHL microfilm 0,929,166.
3. Bourbon Co., KY personal proper ty tax lists, FHL microfilm 0,007,879.
4. Pendleton Co., KY deeds B:26-27, FHL microfilm 0,272,782.
5. Pendleton Co., KY 1799-1805 order book: 261, FHL micr ofilm 0,529,939.
6. St. Louis Co., MO deed book D:423, FHL microfilm 0,529,939 . William obligated himself to maintain George Smirl, Sr. and wife Mary decentl y as becomes a son.
7. James C. Smirl will, Knox Co., Ind. wills A:127-129, F HL microfilm 0,007,767. James left $200 to his mother Mary lving in Jefferson C o., MO.
8. Estimate from marriage date.
9. Bourbon Co., KY marriage bonds, FH L microfilm 0,008,668.
10. John Stuart probate file, 1820, Washington Co., MO probate file #12, Washington Co., MO courthouse.
11. Harrison Co., KY marriage bonds #43, FHL microfilm 0,216,878.
12. Pendleton Co., KY 1799-1849 marriage record: 1, FHL microfilm 0,272,800.
13. Jefferson Co., MO deeds A:692-697, FHL microfilm 0,965,020.
14. Bourbon Co., KY 1793 personal tax property tax list, FHL microfilm 0,007,879. George SMIRL had male 16-21 in addition to male over 21.
15. Pendleton Co., KY 1801 personal property tax list, FHL microfilm 0,00 8,201. Geroge SMYRL, Jun. appeared as male over age 21.
16. U.S. Congress, Am erican State Papers, (Washington: Gales and Seaton, 1834) 29:569.
17. John Smi rl probate file #451, Jefferson Co., MO courthouse.
18. Knox Co., Ind. deeds C :252-253, FHL microfilm 0,007,769. Louisa alone purchased land. Her husband's will was probated one month later.
19. St. Clair Co., IL marriage record A:un paginated, marriage 12, FHL microfilm 1,689,026, item 2.
20. Letter 4 June 198 5 from Lucina Denman of Salt Lake City, UT to Fredric Z. Saunders, held by Saun ders. Denman quotes an obituary notice from the 5 Sep. 1873 issue of Weekly Ad vocate, Belleview, IL of Mrs. Elizabeth Atchison, nee Smothers, born in Kentuck y, age 86 died 2 Sep 1873 at the home of her so Uen. It is uncertain if this is Elizabeth (Smirl) Atchison with the incorrect maiden name given in the obituar y, or perhaps a second wife of George Atchison. If so, Elizabeth Smirl died be fore about 1820 when Uen was born.
21. St. Louis Co., MO deeds D:94, FHL micro film 0,529,939. Thomas Smirl sold his rights in 160 acres "obtained from my fat her in the year 1809 by virtue of his will." Thomas acknowledged the deed as hi s voluntary act, and "George Smirl Esqr. father of the above named Thomas Smirl " appeared and acknowldged he had willed the land
James C SMIRL395 was born in 1785.395 He died in Knox Co., IL.395 Parents: George W SMIRL and MARY.
Spouse: Louisa JOHNSON.
James Madison SMIRL395 was born on 28 Aug 1843 in Jersey, IL.395 He died on 22 Jun 1900 in Meridian, Ada, ID.395 He was buried on 24 Jun 1900 in Meridian, Ada, ID.395 Parents: Thomas SMIRL and Euphemia DAUGHERTY.
Spouse: Susan Emily MARSTERS. James Madison SMIRL and Susan Emily MARSTERS were married on 26 Nov 1882 in Fairbury, Jefferson, NE.395 Children were: George Henry SMIRL, Paul Davis Dodds Or SMIRL, William Charles SMIRL, Minti Mary SMIRL, Mary Jane SMIRL.
Jane SMIRL395 was born in 1771.395 She died in 1823.395 She was also known as Thompson. [2333582.ged]
Listed in Stewart Clan magazine
Smirl, Jane, KY 1791:F170
also listed is
S mirl, Martha, KY 1794:F170
Thompson name came from Ken Fiebelman Vol 3 under Andrew Jackson Stuart.
You are hereby commanded as you often have been comm anded to attach
the body of Jane Stuart administratix of the estate of John St uart deceased
and have her personally before the Justices of our County Court at a court
to be holden at the Court House in the Town of Potosi within & for said
County on the second Monday of May next, then and there to answer for a
contempt heretofore shown our said Court by not appearing in Obedience to an
o rder heretofore issued - as well as to make settlement of her adminnistra-
tio n of the estate of the said John Stuart deceased according to law - and
have y ou then there this word-_______________________________________________
_____D one by Order of the County Court of said County In witness whereof I
_____have hereunto set my hand and affixed the seal of my office at Potosi
_____this 1 day of March 1824._______________________________________________
____________ ______________John C Brickey clerk mcc (?) by____________________
____________ ______________John S Brickey DClk________________________________
State of Missouri)________________________________________
Washington County)_____(For? ) State of Missouri_____________
To the Sheriff of said County Greeting_____ __________________
You are hereby commanded to summon Jane Gable (former Jan e Stuart) Administrix of John Stuart Deceased if she be found in your County to be and appear before the Judge of the probate Court for said County at a Court to be held in and for said County at the Court house in the Town of Potosi on the fourth Monday of December next being the twenty fifth day of said month The n and these to make settlement of her said Administration as far as she has adm inistered according to the Statute in such case made and provived and if this s he fail not and fail not at your peril & have then there this writ witness John Brickey Judge of the probate Court in & for said County by my private seal the re being no seal of office procured this 15th
day of November 1826.
John Br ickey
Judge of Probate Parents: George W SMIRL and MARY.
Spouse: John (Stuart) STEWART. John (Stuart) STEWART and Jane SMIRL were married on 19 Dec 1791.395,3671,3672 Children were: John STEWART, William STEWART, Joshua Dawson STEWART, Campbell STEWART, Mary STEWART, Elizabeth A STEWART, Lucinda M STEWART, Andrew Jackson STEWART, Franklin STEWART.
Spouse: Israel GABLE.
John SMIRL395 was born in 1783.395 He died in 1825 in Jefferson Co., MO.395 Parents: George W SMIRL and MARY.
John J SMIRL.395 Parents: Aaron SMIRL and Sarah STEWART.
Spouse: Mary WILLIAMS.
Laura Alta SMIRL395 was born on 21 Sep 1858 in Ottercreek, Jersey, IL.395 She died on 27 Jul 1860.395 Parents: Thomas SMIRL and Euphemia DAUGHERTY.
Lucy Ann SMIRL395 was born on 9 Dec 1848 in Ottercreek, Jersey, IL.395 She died on 20 Apr 1851.395 Parents: Thomas SMIRL and Euphemia DAUGHERTY.
Martha SMIRL395 was born in 1774.395 Parents: George W SMIRL and MARY.
Spouse: James STEWART.
Mary Jane SMIRL.395 Parents: James Madison SMIRL and Susan Emily MARSTERS.
Spouse: Frank GLEASON.
Mary Jane SMIRL395 was born on 2 Sep 1841 in Ottercreek, Jersey, IL.395 She died on 15 Nov 1871.395 Parents: Thomas SMIRL and Euphemia DAUGHERTY.
Spouse: James H HADLEY.
Minti Mary SMIRL.395 Parents: James Madison SMIRL and Susan Emily MARSTERS.
Spouse: Frank GLEASON.
Nancy SMIRL395 was born in 1790 in KY.395 She died in Jefferson Co., MO.395 [2333582.ged]
atholomew HERRINGTON was born about 1740 and died 28 Sep. 1841, in the
82nd ye ar of his age (cemetery inscription). Claims that his father was
Abraham HERR INGTON should be regarded with suspicion. The following typed
document was fo und in the attic of Melba Hamma in MO. An EXACT copy, complete
with typing er rors follows:
"I Bartholomen was born of the parents of Sarah Leek and Abramha m Herrington
in the town of Leech in the county of Lancaster on April 10 1740 in a log
cabin. I had three sons and one daughter, manely Jonathan, Mary
Eli zabeth, Abramhan David and Joshua.
Elizabeth Herrington was the wife of my b rother Nathaniel Nathaniel died
in Ohio and was buried near Mansfield his wi fe proceeded to our new home
My wife was Phoebe Ann Schmidtgen of Lund, Penn. Her father was Peter a
German Cobbler and farmer. Schmidtgen"
While probably well intentioned, there are several items which cast doubt
tha t this typed copy was made from an earlier original document. These
1. The document reads like a school essay where the assignment was "pretend
y ou were born in colonial times and write about your life." In this case
it ap pears the writer picked an ancestor about which they knew a few
facts, and mad e up the rest.
2. Bartholomew HERRINGTON signed all documents with his mark. If genuine
the document could have been dictated, but not written by him.
3. The phrase "born ... in log cabin" reads like modern grade school books
about Abraham Lincoln. It is doubtful anyone of the time would have
referred to the mselves as being born in log cabin, as that would be where
most people were bo rn.
4. No towns of Leech or Lund have been located in Pennsylvania.
5. Most i mportantly, the names he allegedly states were his sons and
daughters do not m atch the known facts. The statement adds children he did
not have, and omits children he did have.
6. The sentence about Elizabeth is awkward, written as t hough someone had
visited the cemetery where Bartholomew and Elizabeth are bur ied, and was
trying to explain who she was. This was probably because her cem etery
inscription, a replacement that is supposed to be a copy of the original ,
states she died 16 March 1817 in her 90th year. Were this accurate, she
wo uld have been too old to have been the mother of any of Bartholomew's
children . Thus the "invention" of the explanation for who she was.
Elizabeth was wife of Bartholomew HERRINGTON. See St. Louis Co., MO
deeds E:219 shows that on 1 0 June 1815 "Bartholomew HERRINGTON and wife
Elizabeth" sold land. Elizabeth also made depositions regarding her
"husband Bartholomew HERRINGTON" in 1837 i n the Revolutionary War pension
claim of Wiliam DRENEN (DRENNEN) S.15816. She is probably also the elderly
female living in 1840 with her son Joshua in Jef ferson Co., MO. More
likely, she died 16 Mar. 1847, in her 90th year. When r eplacements were
erected, the original had probably faded and was misread.
7. No records of a Nathaniel have been found at any location for where
records h ave been found of Bartholomew in PA and KY.
8. A History of Richland Co., OH s tates the first settlement in what
became Richland County was about 1797 or 17 98. The first settlement at
what became Mansfield was not until 1808. If a N athaniel existed, he could
not have been buried there while the family was enr oute from KY to MO. No
settlements existed there, and it would have been out o f their way.
9. No record of a person named Abraham HERRINGTON has been found.
With almost every part of the document having errors that do not agree
wit h known facts, both historical and records of Bartholomew, there is
no reason to consider the statement about Bartholomew's parents as factual.
There are also claims that Bartholomew HERRINGTON had a first name Joseph.
The source of this is Louis HOUCK's "History of Missouri," with his information
on early se ttlers taken from land records. No original reco Parents: George W SMIRL and MARY.
Spouse: John HERRINGTON. John HERRINGTON and Nancy SMIRL were married in 1790.395 Children were: Joshua HERRINGTON, Bartholomy HERRINGTON, Mary HERRINGTON, Joshua HERRINGTON, John C HERRINGTON, Samuel T HERRINGTON, James R HERRINGTON, Elizabeth Emiline HERRINGTON.
Paul Davis Dodds Or SMIRL395 was born on 3 Sep 1877 in Fairbury, Jefferson, NE.395 Parents: James Madison SMIRL and Susan Emily MARSTERS.
Thomas SMIRL395 was born in 1788.395 Parents: George W SMIRL and MARY.
Thomas SMIRL395 was born on 22 Jul 1811 in Eureka, St. Louis, MO.395 He died on 21 Mar 1884 in Fairbury, Jefferson, NE.395 He was buried on 23 Mar 1884 in Fairbury, Jefferson, NE.395 Parents: William SMIRL and Abigal ALEXANDER.
Spouse: Euphemia DAUGHERTY. Thomas SMIRL and Euphemia DAUGHERTY were married on 22 Oct 1840 in Jerseyville, Jersey, IL.395 Children were: Mary Jane SMIRL, James Madison SMIRL, Thomas Varnader SMIRL, Lucy Ann SMIRL, George Henry SMIRL, William Daugherty SMIRL, Charles Edward SMIRL, Laura Alta SMIRL, Ernest Howard SMIRL, Effie SMIRL.
Thomas Varnader SMIRL395 was born on 10 Aug 1846 in Ottercreek, Jersey, IL.395 He died on 30 Sep 1856.395 Parents: Thomas SMIRL and Euphemia DAUGHERTY.
William SMIRL395 was born in 1777.395 Parents: George W SMIRL and MARY.
William Charles SMIRL395 was born on 28 Jan 1885 in Fairbury, Jefferson, NE.395 He died on 29 Jul 1957 in Ogden, Weber, UT.395 He was buried on 1 Aug 1957 in Leavitts Aultore, Ogden, Weber, UT.395 Parents: James Madison SMIRL and Susan Emily MARSTERS.
William Daugherty SMIRL395 was born on 13 Nov 1853 in Ottercreek, Jersey, IL.395 He died in Apr 1905.395 Parents: Thomas SMIRL and Euphemia DAUGHERTY.
Ellen J. SMIRLE3,486 died in 1940.3,486 She was buried in 1940.3,486 She is reference number 55388.
Spouse: Abigail BOUTON.
SMITH3,39 died Unknown.3 He is reference number 4284.
Spouse: Sarah COTTRELL. SMITH and Sarah COTTRELL were married. Reference Number:58128
SMITH3,449 died Unknown.3 She is reference number 20539.
Spouse: Theodore ENGLE. Theodore ENGLE and SMITH were married. Reference Number:414989
SMITH2,3 died Unknown.3 He is reference number 29970.
Spouse: Mary HARRINGTON. SMITH and Mary HARRINGTON were married. Reference Number:562392
SMITH2,3 died Unknown.3 He is reference number 30852.
Spouse: Rebecca MACKEY. SMITH and Rebecca MACKEY were married. Reference Number:580682
SMITH3,686 died Unknown.3 He is reference number 39252.
Spouse: Elizabeth BOYD. SMITH and Elizabeth BOYD were married. Reference Number:713810
SMITH3,205 died Unknown.3 She was buried Unknown in Leavittsville, Carroll Co. OH.3,205 She is reference number 42988. [boyd-trees.ged]
buried near grandparents Parents: John Meredith SMITH and Nellie Irene OHLER.
SMITH2,3 died Unknown.3 He is reference number 43807.
Spouse: Mary HARRINGTON. SMITH and Mary HARRINGTON were married. Reference Number:562393
SMITH2,3 died Unknown.3 He is reference number 44268.
Spouse: Agnes BOYD. SMITH and Agnes BOYD were married. Reference Number:712102
SMITH2,3 died Unknown.3 He is reference number 44860.
Spouse: Catherine BAER. SMITH and Catherine BAER were married. Reference Number:538009
SMITH3,666 died Unknown.3 He is reference number 50282.
SMITH3,205 was born Between 1947-1948.3,205 She died Unknown.3 She was buried Unknown in Leavittsville, Carroll Co. OH.3,205 She is reference number 53329. [boyd-trees.ged]
buried near grandparents Parents: John Meredith SMITH and Nellie Irene OHLER.
SMITH3,684 was born Unknown.3,684 He died Unknown.3,684 He is reference number 57738.
SMITH3,426 was born WFT Est 1745-1782.3,426 He died WFT Est 1771-1860.3,426 He is reference number 79897.