Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Home
Surname List
Name Index
Sources
Email Us
Johnathan PURDY5,128 was born about 1800.5,128 Parents: Benjamin PURDY and Elizabeth PURDY.


Jonathan PURDY5,128 was born about 1718.5,128 Parents: Joseph Jr. PURDY and Aletta GUION.


Jonathan PURDY5,128 was born about 1769.5,128 Parents: Gilbert PURDY and Elizabeth OGDEN.


Jonathan Capt. PURDY5,128 was born on 21 Apr 1694 in Budds Neck, Rye, Westchester, NY..5,128 He died on 3 Feb 1772 in Rye, Westchester, NY.5,128 Parents: Joseph Judge PURDY and Elizabeth H. OGDEN.

Spouse: Mary HART. Jonathan Capt. PURDY and Mary HART were married about 1718 in Rye, Westchester, NY.5 Children were: Elijah PURDY.


Joseph PURDY5,128 was born about 1678 in Rye, Westchester, NY.5,128 He died on 29 Nov 1729 in Rye, Westchester, NY.5,128 Parents: Francis Jr. PURDY and Rachel Mary LANE.

Spouse: Mary PARK. Joseph PURDY and Mary PARK were married. Children were: Roger Sr. PURDEY.


Joseph PURDY5,128 was born about 1735.5,128 Parents: Obadiah Sr. PURDY and Phebe UNDERHILL.

Children were: Daniel PURDY, Polly PURDY, Nancy PURDY, Elizabeth PURDY, Gilbert PURDY, Benjamin PURDY, Joseph PURDY.


Joseph PURDY5,128 was born about 1772.5,128 Parents: Gilbert PURDY and Elizabeth OGDEN.


Joseph PURDY5,128 was born about 1774.5,128 Parents: Joseph PURDY.

Spouse: Mary Elizabeth H. Joseph PURDY and Mary Elizabeth H were married. Children were: Oliver PURDY, Eunice PURDY, Benjamin H. PURDY, Nathan PURDY, Elemuel PURDY, Elijah PURDY, Moses D. PURDY, Mary PURDY, Joseph PURDY, Oliver H. PURDY.


Joseph PURDY5,128 was born about 1812.5,128 Parents: Joseph PURDY and Mary Elizabeth H.


Joseph PURDY5,128 was born about 1849.5,128 Parents: Elias Jr. PURDY and Hester Ann CLOWES.


Joseph III PURDY5,128 was born about 1714.5,128 Parents: Joseph Jr. PURDY and Aletta GUION.


Joseph Jr. PURDY5,128 was born about 1682 in Budds Neck, Rye, Westchester, NY..5,128 He died on 15 Jun 1777 in White Planes, Westchester, NY..5,128 Parents: Joseph Judge PURDY and Elizabeth H. OGDEN.

Spouse: Aletta GUION. Joseph Jr. PURDY and Aletta GUION were married on 19 Mar 1767.5 Children were: Obadiah Sr. PURDY, Joseph III PURDY, Abraham Sr. PURDY, Jonathan PURDY.


Joseph Judge PURDY5,128 was born after 1653 in Fairfield CT..5,128 He died on 29 Oct 1709 in Budds Neck, Rye, Westchester, NY..5,128 [NEED TO DEFINE SENTENCE: Notes (Facts Pg)]5,128 [master ged.FTW]

HARRISON'S PURCHASE
Scharf's History of Westchester...., Vol. 2
CHAPTER XV.
HARRISON
By Rev. Charles W. Baird, D.D.
Pastor Presbyterian Church, Rye
The town of Harrison is noted in the history of the county as having beenthe bone of contention that led the town of Rye to "secede" from theprovince of New York, and ask to be taken back to Connecticut. The storyhas been told elsewhere in this vo lume, and needs only to berecapitulated briefly here. A tract of land situated above WestchesterPath, between Blind Brook and Mamaroneck River, and extending as farnorth as Rye Pond, was purchased in 1662 by Peter Disbrow and hiscompanions from ce rtain Indians. Four years later John Budd bought, fromother Indians, a more extensive tract, including the preceding purchase.Neither Disbrow nor Budd made any attempt to improve the land, and itremained vacant and uncultivated.

In 1695, John Harrison, disregarding these claims, bought the territorynorth of Westchester Path from an Indian who professed to be "the trueowner and proprietor." Harrison's Purchase was surveyed by order ofColonial Fletcher, Governor of New York , and a patent was granted by theBritish government to Harrison and his associates.

The inhabitants of Rye in general, who represented the interests ofDisbrow and his co-purchasers, -- all of whom were among the originalsettlers of the town, -- together with the son and heir of John Budd,opposed the grant. Unfortunately, instea d of combining their forces, theypresented two separate claims. This division was fatal. The Council paidno regard to either claim, but confirmed Harrison's title. Hence thesecession of the exasperated people of Rye, in 1697. The King's order inCo uncil placed them back within the jurisdiction of the province of NewYork, in 1700.

The purchase was held in equal shares by five patentees. These were JohnHarrison, William Nicols, Ebenzer Wilson, David Jamison and SamuelHaight1. The last named was the only one of the original patentees whoretained his portion of the land. Joh n Harrison sold his interest in thepurchase to William Lawrence in 1702. Wilson conveyed his to hisson-in-law, Philip Rokeby, in 1708. Nicols and Jamison probably disposedof their shares before that date or soon after2.

Haight was a member of the Society of Friends, and most of the earlysettlers were of the same religious persuasion and came like him fromFlushing, or from other Long Island towns. It is probable that theirintention was from the first to found a "Q uaker" settlement.

Harrison's Purchase was first settled about the year 1724. A few of theinhabitants of Rye bought land in this section, but in no such number asremoved to the White Plains and other purchases. Roger Park, 3 of Rye, asearly as 1740, had acquired lan ds in Harrison's Purchase, which are ownedby some of the name at the present day. The Rev. James Wetmore owned afarm in the lower part of the Purchase. William Horton owned lands on"Brown's Point," near St. Mary's Pond, in 17574. Gilbert Bloome r owned in1743 a farm which he then sold to Thomas Carpenter. This farm is now theproperty of Mr. Charles Park.

A tract of land anciently knows as "Brown's Point," now a part ofHarrison, bordering on White Plains, appears to have been held, at first,as distinct from either purchase. The principal proprietors in the lowerpart of this tract were Obadiah an d David, sons of Joseph Purdy, whoowned lands situated here, at the time of his death, in 1709. "Home-lots"were owned here in 1725 by John Haight, Caleb Hyat, Abraham Miller,Francis La Count and others. Transfers of property are recorded fromWalte r Williams to Eliezur Yeomans in 1739; Daniel Cornel to DanielMerritt, 1749; David Purdy to Michael Chatterton, 1752. In 1757, WilliamHooker Smith, oldest son of the Rev. John Smith, of Rye, owned land onthe Point, and in 1769, Thomas Smith, hi s youngest brother, bought houseand thirteen acres of land, beginning at the bridge across the CausewayBrook, and lying between the brook and the road to John Horton's mill.Here, in a house which is still standing, Dr. Smith passed the last !
days of his life.

Until the Revolution the inhabitants of the Purchase participated withthose of Rye in the transactions of town business, without any otherdistinction than that of having their own officers for the discharge oflocal functions. We find Samuel Fiel d chosen as "surveyor for haryconspattne" in 1724, and "sheepmaster" in 1725; and Roger Park, chosen as"pounder" in 1729. In 1773 the Board of Supervisors for WestchesterCounty refuses to recognize a supervisor for Harrison, as distinct fromthe to wn of Rye5. Harrison also formed one of the six precincts of theparish of Rye, under the semi-ecclesiastical system that prevailed. Thefirst election of officers for the town of Harrison was held April 5,1774, and resulted, as follows:

"Major Thomas Thomas, supervisor; William Miller, clerk; WilseyDusinberry, constable and collector; Stephen Fields and Job Hadden, Jr.,assessors; Samuel Haviland, William Anderson, Thomas Vail, AlexanderHains, Job Hadden and Samuel Purdy, highwa y masters; Thomas Park, pound;Samuel Haviland and Thomas Park, fence and damage viewers."

The following extracts from the town records relate to the election oftown officers at the commencement of the Revolution, and immediatelysubsequent:6

"On Tuesday, the 2nd of April, 1776, the freeholders, inhabitants ofHarrison's Precinct, met at the place appointed by law and made choice ofthe following town officers: Samuel Haviland, supervisor; William Miller,town clerk; Joshua Hunt, Joh n Haight, Wellsey Dusenberry, assessors;Joseph Carpenter, highway master for lower part; David Halstead, highwaymaster for the middle; Stephen Field, highway master for the upper;William Ascough, highway master for Brown's Point; William Woodward, highway master for North Street; Job Hadden, highway for master for Westand Haight Streets, all to the usual bounds; Thomas Park, pounder."
"At a town-meeting held this first day of April, 1783, in Harrison'sPrecinct, State of New York, the following town officers were chosen toserve the ensuing year:"
"Isaiah Maynard, supervisor; Stephen Field, town clerk; James Miller,constable and collecytor; Thomas Thomas, William Woodward, ThomasCarpenter, assessors; Henry Dusenberry, pounder; John Cromwell, overseerof the highway for upper part of precin ct; Roger Purdy, for North Street;Job Hadden, Jr., for the west part of the patent; Henry Dusenberry,Elisha Horton, fence and damage viewers."
Harrison was organized as a separate township on the 7th of March, 1788.In 1790 the town contained 1004 inhabitants. Since that time the growthof the population seems to have been singularly intermittent. Thus, in1800 only 855 inhabitants are repo rted.[2098755.FTW]

HARRISON'S PURCHASE
Scharf's History of Westchester...., Vol. 2
CHAPTER XV.
HARRISON
By Rev. Charles W. Baird, D.D.
Pastor Presbyterian Church, Rye
The town of Harrison is noted in the history of the county as having been the bone of contention that led the town of Rye to "secede" from the province of New York, and ask to be taken back to Connecticut. The story has been told elsewhere in this volume, and needs only to be recapitulated briefly here. A tract of land situated above Westchester Path, between Blind Brook and Mamaroneck River, and extending as far north as Rye Pond, was purchased in 1662 by Peter Disbrow and his companions from certain Indians. Four years later John Budd bought, from other Indians, a more extensive tract, including the preceding purchase. Neither Disbrow nor Budd made any attempt to improve the land, and it remained vacant and uncultivated.

In 1695, John Harrison, disregarding these claims, bought the territory north of Westchester Path from an Indian who professed to be "the true owner and proprietor." Harrison's Purchase was surveyed by order of Colonial Fletcher, Governor of New York, and a patent was granted by the British government to Harrison and his associates.

The inhabitants of Rye in general, who represented the interests of Disbrow and his co-purchasers, -- all of whom were among the original settlers of the town, -- together with the son and heir of John Budd, opposed the grant. Unfortunately, instead of combining their forces, they presented two separate claims. This division was fatal. The Council paid no regard to either claim, but confirmed Harrison's title. Hence the secession of the exasperated people of Rye, in 1697. The King's order in Council placed them back within the jurisdiction of the province of New York, in 1700.

The purchase was held in equal shares by five patentees. These were John Harrison, William Nicols, Ebenzer Wilson, David Jamison and Samuel Haight1. The last named was the only one of the original patentees who retained his portion of the land. John Harrison sold his interest in the purchase to William Lawrence in 1702. Wilson conveyed his to his son-in-law, Philip Rokeby, in 1708. Nicols and Jamison probably disposed of their shares before that date or soon after2.

Haight was a member of the Society of Friends, and most of the early settlers were of the same religious persuasion and came like him from Flushing, or from other Long Island towns. It is probable that their intention was from the first to found a "Quaker" settlement.

Harrison's Purchase was first settled about the year 1724. A few of the inhabitants of Rye bought land in this section, but in no such number as removed to the White Plains and other purchases. Roger Park, 3 of Rye, as early as 1740, had acquired lands in Harrison's Purchase, which are owned by some of the name at the present day. The Rev. James Wetmore owned a farm in the lower part of the Purchase. William Horton owned lands on "Brown's Point," near St. Mary's Pond, in 17574. Gilbert Bloomer owned in 1743 a farm which he then sold to Thomas Carpenter. This farm is now the property of Mr. Charles Park.

A tract of land anciently knows as "Brown's Point," now a part of Harrison, bordering on White Plains, appears to have been held, at first, as distinct from either purchase. The principal proprietors in the lower part of this tract were Obadiah and David, sons of Joseph Purdy, who owned lands situated here, at the time of his death, in 1709. "Home-lots" were owned here in 1725 by John Haight, Caleb Hyat, Abraham Miller, Francis La Count and others. Transfers of property are recorded from Walter Williams to Eliezur Yeomans in 1739; Daniel Cornel to Daniel Merritt, 1749; David Purdy to Michael Chatterton, 1752. In 1757, William Hooker Smith, oldest son of the Rev. John Smith, of Rye, owned land on the Point, and in 1769, Thomas Smith, his youngest brother, bought house and thirteen acres of land, beginning at the bridge across the Causeway Brook, and lying between the brook and the road to John Horton's mill. Here, in a house which is still standing, Dr. Smith passed the last !
days of his life.

Until the Revolution the inhabitants of the Purchase participated with those of Rye in the transactions of town business, without any other distinction than that of having their own officers for the discharge of local functions. We find Samuel Field chosen as "surveyor for harycons pattne" in 1724, and "sheepmaster" in 1725; and Roger Park, chosen as "pounder" in 1729. In 1773 the Board of Supervisors for Westchester County refuses to recognize a supervisor for Harrison, as distinct from the town of Rye5. Harrison also formed one of the six precincts of the parish of Rye, under the semi-ecclesiastical system that prevailed. The first election of officers for the town of Harrison was held April 5, 1774, and resulted, as follows:

"Major Thomas Thomas, supervisor; William Miller, clerk; Wilsey Dusinberry, constable and collector; Stephen Fields and Job Hadden, Jr., assessors; Samuel Haviland, William Anderson, Thomas Vail, Alexander Hains, Job Hadden and Samuel Purdy, highway masters; Thomas Park, pound; Samuel Haviland and Thomas Park, fence and damage viewers."

The following extracts from the town records relate to the election of town officers at the commencement of the Revolution, and immediately subsequent:6

"On Tuesday, the 2nd of April, 1776, the freeholders, inhabitants of Harrison's Precinct, met at the place appointed by law and made choice of the following town officers: Samuel Haviland, supervisor; William Miller, town clerk; Joshua Hunt, John Haight, Wellsey Dusenberry, assessors; Joseph Carpenter, highway master for lower part; David Halstead, highway master for the middle; Stephen Field, highway master for the upper; William Ascough, highway master for Brown's Point; William Woodward, highway master for North Street; Job Hadden, highway for master for West and Haight Streets, all to the usual bounds; Thomas Park, pounder."
"At a town-meeting held this first day of April, 1783, in Harrison's Precinct, State of New York, the following town officers were chosen to serve the ensuing year:"
"Isaiah Maynard, supervisor; Stephen Field, town clerk; James Miller, constable and collecytor; Thomas Thomas, William Woodward, Thomas Carpenter, assessors; Henry Dusenberry, pounder; John Cromwell, overseer of the highway for upper part of precinct; Roger Purdy, for North Street; Job Hadden, Jr., for the west part of the patent; Henry Dusenberry, Elisha Horton, fence and damage viewers."
Harrison was organized as a separate township on the 7th of March, 1788. In 1790 the town contained 1004 inhabitants. Since that time the growth of the population seems to have been singularly intermittent. Thus, in 1800 only 855 inhabitants are reported. Parents: Francis Sr. PURDY and Mary Elizabeth BRUNDAGE.

Spouse: Elizabeth H. OGDEN. Joseph Judge PURDY and Elizabeth H. OGDEN were married about 1680 in Rye, Westchester, NY.5 Children were: Joseph Jr. PURDY, Daniel PURDY, Samuel Sr. PURDY, David Sr. PURDY, Jonathan Capt. PURDY, Stilljohn Sr. PURDY, Francis PURDY, Elizabeth PURDY, Judith PURDY, Mary PURDY, Phebe PURDY, Obadiah PURDY.


Joseph Lee PURDY5,128 was born about 1850.5,128 Parents: Benjamin H. PURDY and Catherine Ellen HOLLAND.

Spouse: Sarah R. ADAMS. Joseph Lee PURDY and Sarah R. ADAMS were married.


Josiah PURDY5,128 was born about 1718.5,128 Parents: Samuel Sr. PURDY and Clorinda Penelope STRANG.


Josiah PURDY5,128 was born on 17 Mar 1747.5,128 Parents: Caleb PURDY and Hannah BROWN.


Jotham PURDY5,128 was born about 1751.5,128 He died on 5 Oct 1777.5,128 Parents: Nehemiah PURDY and Mary GOLDING.

Spouse: Margaret VOORHEES. Jotham PURDY and Margaret VOORHEES were married. Children were: Margaret PURDY, Andrew PURDY.


Jotham PURDY5,128 was born about 1799.5,128 Parents: Andrew PURDY and Esther MILLER.

Spouse: Fanny SATTERLEE. Jotham PURDY and Fanny SATTERLEE were married.


Jotham Frederick PURDY5,128 was born about 1807.5,128 Parents: Archelaus PURDY and Hannah BIRDSELL.

Spouse: Ann MCGREGOR. Jotham Frederick PURDY and Ann MCGREGOR were married. Children were: Frederick Jothan PURDY, Esther PURDY, Archelaus PURDY, Hannah Birdsell PURDY, Mary Amanda PURDY, Daniel Jarvis PURDY.


Judith PURDY5,128 was born about 1701.5,128 Parents: Joseph Judge PURDY and Elizabeth H. OGDEN.


Justus PURDY5,128 was born about 1751 in Bivina, Delaware Co., NY.5,128 Parents: Thomas Jr. PURDY and Rachel OGDEN.

Spouse: DEBORAH. Justus PURDY and DEBORAH were married.


Justus PURDY5,128 was born about 1772 in Bovina, Delaware Co., NY.5,128 Parents: Jesse Sr. PURDY and Deborah WILSON.


Kniffen PURDY5,128 was born about 1813.5,128 Parents: Gilbert Jr. PURDY and Mary CANFIELD.

Spouse: Lavinia BETTS. Kniffen PURDY and Lavinia BETTS were married. Children were: Rufus W. PURDY, Erminia PURDY, Jacob Betts PURDY.


Laura PURDY5,128 was born about 1871.5,128 Parents: Archelaus PURDY and Katherine FERRIS.


Lavina PURDY5,128 was born about 1737.5,128 She died in 1761.5,128 Parents: Samuel Jr. PURDY and Winiford GRIFFIN.

Spouse: Eleazer Jr. GIDNEY. Eleazer Jr. GIDNEY and Lavina PURDY were married about 1757.5 Children were: Winford GIDNEY, Eleazer GIDNEY.


Lavina PURDY5,128 was born about 1798.5,128 Parents: Daniel PURDY and Mary Jane BURNS.


Lavinia PURDY5,128 was born on 9 Feb 1755.5,128 Parents: Caleb PURDY and Hannah BROWN.


Lavinia PURDY5,128 was born on 15 Mar 1797.5,128 Parents: Gilbert PURDY and Beth FISHER.


Lavinia Jane PURDY5,128 was born about 1855.5,128 Parents: Samuel PURDY and Mary WINN.


Lee PURDY5,128 was born about 1875.5,128 Parents: Archelus PURDY and Phebe S. DYKEMAN.


Lena PURDY5,128 was born about 1875.5,128 Parents: Archelus PURDY and Phebe S. DYKEMAN.


Lenora Irene PURDY3,449 was born on 19 Sep 1902 in Rockford, Mercer County, Ohio.3,449 She died on 4 Aug 1980 in Lima, Ohio.3,449 She is reference number 17700. [boyd-trees.ged]











[kk.FTW]

Lenora is buried in Memorial Park Cemetery in Lima, Ohio.

Lenora (Irene) is in Lima, Ohio on 1945. and 1962

OBITUARY:

Lenora Irene Paxon, 77, 1700 Frail Road, Lima, died at 9:00 am. Monday, August 4, 1980, at her residence. Mrs. Paxson wasborn Sptember 19, 1902, in Rockford, the daughter of maynard and lucy (Carr) Purdy. She is survived by her husband, Charles, and two sons, Crl and Charles Dean, both of Lima; a sister, Mrs. Earl (Lola) Fisher, Celina; four grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Funeral services willbe held at 2:00 p.m. Thursday at Siferd Westwood Chapel, Lima, the Rev. E. J. Penhorwood officiating. Burial will be in memorial Park Cemetery, Lima. Parents: Maynard Otterbein PURDY and Lucy Arbella CARR.

Spouse: Charles Jasper PAXSON. Charles Jasper PAXSON and Lenora Irene PURDY were married on 25 Dec 1928.3,449 Reference Number:376207 Children were: Carl Carman PAXSON, Imogene Louise PAXSON, Charles Dean PAXSON.


Levina PURDY5,128 was born on 7 Jul 1765 in White Planes, Westchester, NY..5,128 She died on 7 Feb 1834.5,128 Parents: Jacob PURDY and Abigail SMITH.

Spouse: Thomas Purdy HORTON. Thomas Purdy HORTON and Levina PURDY were married.


Lewis Kniffen PURDY5,128 was born about 1774.5,128 Parents: Henry PURDY and Tamar KNIFFEN.

Spouse: Martha FREEMAN. Lewis Kniffen PURDY and Martha FREEMAN were married about 1796.5 Children were: Rebecca PURDY, Susannah PURDY, James PURDY.


Lewis Kniffen PURDY5,128 was born about 1833.5,128 He died about 1852.5,128 Parents: James PURDY and Mary Ann BOULTENHOUSE.


Lewis William Woodford PURDY5,128 was born about 1832.5,128 Parents: Samuel PURDY and Sarah COPP.

Spouse: Sarah Elizabeth WELLS. Lewis William Woodford PURDY and Sarah Elizabeth WELLS were married about 1862.5 Children were: Mabel Adelia PURDY, Clarence Samuel PURDY, Frank Silas PURDY, George Hiram Lewis Wells PURDY.


Lewis Wright PURDY5,128 was born about 1848.5,128 Parents: James PURDY and Rachel DICKINSON.


Living PURDY.404

Spouse: Irvine Leroy NICHOLS. Children were: Living NICHOLS, Living NICHOLS, Living NICHOLS, Living NICHOLS.


Living PURDY.3

Spouse: Living PIERCE. Children were: Living PURDY.


Living PURDY.3 Parents: Living PURDY and Living PIERCE.


Living PURDY.5,128

Spouse: Living JAMIESON.


Living PURDY.5,128 Parents: Howard Newell PURDY and Lama Or Lora Olive WILLIAMS.


Living PURDY.5,128

Spouse: Living HARROLD. Children were: Living HARROLD, Living HARROLD.


Lola PURDY3,449 was born on 24 Apr 1909 in Blackcreek Twp. Mercer County, Ohio.3,449 She died after 1981.3,449 She is reference number 17701. [boyd-trees.ged]











[kk.FTW]

Lola is at home (Van Wert, Ohio?) in 1945.

Lola was at rte 3, Celina, Ohio in 1962 and 1981 and 1980

One of the last members of Bethel Church when it closed June 30, 1963 Parents: Maynard Otterbein PURDY and Lucy Arbella CARR.

Spouse: Living FISHER.


Louisa PURDY5,128 was born about 1808.5,128 Parents: Obadiah Sr. PURDY and Sarah DEAN.

Spouse: Thomas HARDENBROOK. Thomas HARDENBROOK and Louisa PURDY were married.


Louisa PURDY5,128 was born about 1847.5,128 She died about 1862.5,128 Parents: John Dean Sr. PURDY and Hannah Amelia STICKNEY.


Louisa Jane PURDY5,128 was born about 1817.5,128 Parents: Gilbert Jr. PURDY and Mary CANFIELD.

Spouse: William Henry Purdy BETTS. William Henry Purdy BETTS and Louisa Jane PURDY were married. Children were: Mary Knapp BETTS.


Lucia Celia PURDY5,128 was born about 1821.5,128 Parents: Samuel PURDY and Sarah COPP.

Spouse: Alexander R. CAMERON. Alexander R. CAMERON and Lucia Celia PURDY were married.


Lula PURDY5,128 was born about 1874.5,128 Parents: Elias Charles PURDY and Clara ANN.


Lydia Betts PURDY5,128 was born about 1843.5,128 Parents: James PURDY and Rachel DICKINSON.

Back       Next