CRITTENDEN COUNTY, ARKANSAS
Located north of Earle, Arkansas on Hwy. 149, about 3 miles. Turn right on a gravel road to the “Harris
Brothers” farm and their red farm shop on north side of gravel road. The cemetery is on private land. It is not kept clean. The Cloar family first sold the land to Jerry
Sparks, later Jimmie and Billie Harris bought the land from Mr. Sparks.
Survey made Nov. 22, 1993 by Janis Lancaster and Joe Wood.
Original document typed by
Earlier transcriptions by Pat Isabel Brown
(Information provided by Janis Lancaster and from
information at Crittenden
County Library, Marion, Arkansas
- 2001. Additional information has been
added for John and Martha Franklin, grandparents of Rev. D. G. Daniels)
– born March 12, 1892 – died April 6, 1918 Gone But Not Forgotten (her maiden name was Martin. She was the first wife of Tom Atkins. – The 1900 census of Crittenden County, Tyronza
Twp, shows Eva Martin, born Mar 1892, along with her two brothers; Wesley
Martin, born Jul 1886, and Alvin Martin, born Jun 1889, living as boarders in
the household of Charles Wesley and Eva Cloar. The children had been born in
Arkansas, their father in Iowa, and their mother in Illinois. Wesley and Alvin
Martin were farm laborers.)
Bessie – born Nov. 22, 1910 – died March 22, 1912
Wesley – born March 15, 1864 – died Nov. 28, 1928 (This
is a double stone, they are parents of Carroll Cloar, the well known artist.)
J. – born Oct. 28, 1880 – died Dec.
2, 1928 (Double stone with Charles Wesley Cloar, maiden name David)
Marjorie – born March 30, 1920 – died June 23, 1912 (daughter of C.
W. and E. J. Cloar – the birth and death
dates appear to be reversed.)
DAVID, James Carroll – born July 7, 1846
– died May 4, 1908 Aged 61 yrs, 9 mos, 27 days - His Many Virtues Form The
Monument To His Memory (father of Eva J. Cloar, husband of Rhoda Richards)
– born Dec. 25, 1888 – died Nov.
22, 1921 (brother of Julia Eva Cloar)
Rhoda – born Jan. 6, 1851 – Died July 21, 1909 (maiden name was
Richards, daughter of John and Lucinda Richards. She was wife of James Carroll David)
John William – born Nov. 11, 1861 – died Mar. 25, 1939 (He
was a Missionary Baptist Minister. His
parents were Calvin Monroe Franklin and Mary Cantrell. Siblings were Amozar, Jess and Harvey Lee who
was a Church of Christ Minister )
FRANKLIN, Martha Lou – born Dec. 19, 1868 –
died July 5, 1936 (wife of John William
Franklin. Her name was Martha Louise
Ragland, daughter of Clarence Walter Ragland. These were the parents of Willie
Franklin, Mrs. (Willie) Charles Cloar, and the grandparents of Rev. D. G.
FULLWOOD, May M. – born May 28, 1884 – died November 21, 1928 A Tender
Mother, A Faithful Friend.
HUMPHREY, Della – died April 22, 1918,
age 43 (think her maiden name was Martin. She was wife of J. T. Humphrey. They were parents of Lethia Madden, Maxine
Harris, Velma Hood, Clyde Humphrey, and others.
A grandson of hers lives in Earle, Ark., Jack Humphrey)
W. – born 1886 – died Oct. 1918 (He was a brother
of Eva (Martin) Mrs. Tom Atkins -- this
would be J. Wesley Martin, born Jul 1886, who was listed with his sister, Eva,
and brother, Alvin, in the C. W. and Eva Cloar household during the 1900 census
of Crittenden County. )
It is believed
there are others buried in this cemetery with no markers.
following excerpt was taken from
of Crittenden County, Arkansas” by Margaret Woolfolk
the Cloar family records, one of the first cleared sites in present day
Earle----about 12 acres -- was that farmed by Thomas Jefferson Cloar, who
acquired his holdings in the early 1860's after coming to Arkansas from North Carolina by way of Tennessee.
Cloar built a log cabin on his land and he and his wife, Amanda Aycock,
lived there until her death March 18, 1864.
They were the parents of 11 boys and two girls, most of whom died in
infancy. Mrs. Cloar was buried in a
graveyard which was on the site of the present high school campus near Barton Street at Fourth Street. Her husband, who died later in 1864, was
buried in the same graveyard.
Excerpt from “History of Earle”, written by Mrs. T. J.
This history appeared in the “Earle Epic”
In the early
1860’s what we now call Earle was a dense forest, inhabited by wolves,
panthers, wild cats, wild turkeys, wild hogs, “coon”, opossums, deer, rabbits
and squirrels. It was owned by Thomas
Jefferson Cloar. He and his wife, Amanda
Aycock, had thirteen children, eleven boys and two girls. Most of them died in infancy or at an early
age. Thomas J. Cloar cleared almost
twelve acres of ground and built a log house for his family from the trees on
his land. Amanda Aycock Cloar died March
18, 1864, when Charles Wesley Cloar was
three days old. She was buried in a
graveyard, as it was called then, on the new school grounds across from the
Assembly of God Church. Then they put
their graveyards on high ground because of high water.
timber stretched for miles and was the main industry then. The land had to be cleared, there was no
drainage and water stood everywhere.
Thomas J. Cloar decided this land was too low to farm so he sold the
land and bought higher land three miles North of Earle. He came from North Carolina to Union City, Tennessee
and from there to Arkansas. In 1864 , he got his hand cut in his
one horse drawn cotton gin on his farm.
Blood poisoning set in causing his death. He was buried by the side of his wife,
Amanda. His son Charles Wesley Cloar,
age twelve, another son; John F. Cloar, age twenty and James J. Cloar, age
nineteen inherited the land.
Charles Wesley Cloar built a store; a post office was added to the store since
it was hard for people to get their mail from Earle. The post office was called “Cloar” and from
the post office, “Cloar” was put on the map.
to Cemeteries Page
Return to Links Index
to home page
Lunsford Yates, 2000 - 2008
Last updated Saturday, July 12, 2008