Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

BETHEL CEMETERY

 

CRAWFORDSVILLE, ARKANSAS

CRITTENDEN COUNTY

 

---

 

 

SURVEYED: Nov. 25, 1993 By: Paige and Pauline Miller of Earle, Ark.

 

LOCATION: About 1 miles west of Crawfordsville, Ark. across the railroad,

Turn left. This is on the site of the old Methodist Church, the

Bethel Methodist Church, oldest Methodist Church in Crittenden County, Ark.

 

(Document located at Crittenden County Library - Marion, Arkansas - 2001)

 

---

 

AMBUHL, Caroline, Feb. 14, 1861 June 20, 1908, (Our Mother)

 

 

COLE, William Howard, Aug. 4, 1936 --- June 30, 1937

 

 

CRAVENS, D. W., Oct. 27, 1862 --- Feb. 8, 1902

 

 

FUHRER, M. Alex, born in Germany 1851 --- June 24, 1889, (a postmaster 189?)

 

 

GIBSON, Fannie C., Jun. 6, 1846 May 10, 1899, (Our Mother)

 

 

HARDY, Allie, Sep. 22, 1860 --- May 1, 1900, (wife of J. H. Hardy)

 

 

HARDY, M. L., Mar. 1, 1890 --- Oct. 3, 1895, (dau. of J. H. & A. Hardy)

 

 

HART, John, Apr. 21, 1859 --- Dec. 13, 1901

 

 

HART, Williford Leonard, Jul 19, 1902 --- Apr. 7, 1911, (son of John & Emma Hart)

 

 

KNOTT, Mollie W., Feb. 15, 1858 --- Aug. 9, 1902, (wife of Dr. S. J. Knott)

 

 

KNOTT, Sallie Wilkin, Feb. 16, 1883 --- Mar. 8, 1883

 

 

KNOTT, Dr. Simon J., Oct. 14, 1850 --- Feb. 10, 1912, (Woodman of the World)

 

 

KNOTT, Simon Rivers, born ? ---died Jun. 1, 1900

 

 

KNOTT, W., Dec. 6, 1896 --- Jun. 1, 1900

 

 

LANDRUM, Charlie, Jan. 27, 1879 --- Feb. 6, 1917

 

 

LANDRUM, James B., 1868 --- 1931

 

 

LANDRUM, Linnie C., May 11, 1864 --- Jul. 23, 1950, (My Mother)

(Wife of James B. Landrum)

 

 

LANDRUM, Susie Hart, Feb. 29, 1884 --- Aug. 20, 1953

(daughter of John & Emma Hart)

 

 

LEWIS, Oscar Perry, Feb. 26, 1937 Jul. 10, 1943

 

 

LOCK, Mrs. M. J., 1817 --- Mar. 3, 1908, (In Memory of our Mother & Grandmother)

 

 

McGUIRE, F. H., Sep. 17, 1848 Sep. 18, 1927, (Brother)

 

 

MOSBY, Drucilla Davis, Feb. 24, 1915 Jan. 9, 1920, (Daughter)

 

 

MOSBY, Drucilla Davis, Feb. 18, 1870 Apr. 11, 1943, (Mama)

 

 

MOSBY, Joseph Hobson, Aug. 10, 1870 May 24, 1945, (Daddy)

 

(Mosby surname correction (from Mosley) submitted by Joe Mosby, grandson)

 

 

NEELEY, Annie Glenn, Nov. 7, 1875 Jun. 9, 1900, (wife of C. H. Neely)

 

 

NEELY, Charlie Joseph, Aug. 2, 1898 Oct. 12, 1898, (son of C. H, & Annie C. Neely)

 

 

PARKS, Joseph, died Mar. 21, 1907, age 5 yrs.

 

 

RAINEY, James W., Jun. 6, 1889 Apr. 15, 1942, (Daddy)

 

 

RASBURY, Mary Glenn, Nov. 13, 1818 Mar. 26, 1902,

(Mother of Dr. S. J. & Mollie Knott)

 

 

ROLLEY, Catherine C., Jul. 28, 1850 Jun. 6, 1930, (Mother)

 

 

ROLLEY, Clair Norman, 1891 1946, (double marker with Mary Hart Rolley)

 

 

ROLLEY, Eloy F., May 1, 1870 Jun. 3, 1923, (son of Serdon & Catherine Rolley)

 

 

ROLLEY, Mary Hart, 1892 1954, (double marker with Clair Norman Rolley)

 

 

ROLLEY, Serdon, Oct. 29, 1846 Dec. 21, 1926, (Father)

 

 

SMITH, Andrew T., Jul. 23, 1874 Dec. 23, 1886, (son of W. T. & F.C. Smith)

 

 

SMITH, Charles F., Jan. 11, 1877 Mar. 19, 1939

 

 

SMITH, Carl. E., Jul. 21, 1926 Mar. 12, 1930

 

 

SMITH, J. H. (Ham), Aug. 1, 1913 Jul. 25, 1937, (My Husband)

 

 

SMITH, Monlie, Jan. 16, 1879 Nov. 2, 1880, (son of W. T. Smith)

 

 

SMITH, W. T., Feb. 11, 1845 Oct. 10, 1885, 40 yrs, 1 mo., 29 dys (Husband)

 

 

THOMAS, Claude A., Apr. 22, 1890 Jul. 4, 1900, (son of J. A. & Ida E. Thomas)

 

 

WEAVER, Talmage, Oct. 13, 1899 Nov. 3, 1901

 

 

WEBBER, Isabella A., Jun. 13, 1860 May 2, 1936, (wife of George A. Weaver)

 

 

---

 

It was noted at the time of the survey that the cemetery was unclean, badly overgrown and had been vandalized. It was also noted that an additional 4 or 5 markers had been turned over, writing facing the ground. These stones were not included in this survey.

 

---

 

Added Information - 2002 - by Deb Yates

Taken from "A History of Crittenden County Arkansas", Crawfordsville Chapter

By Margaret Elizabeth Woolfolk:

 

Crawfordsville's Methodist Church is one of the county's oldest serving a predominantly white congregation. It dates from 1840 when Methodists worshipped in a small log structure on the banks of Alligator Bayou, about a mile west of the present church site on Bay Ferry Road and south of the Union Pacific railroad tracks.

James Albert Alexander is credited with organizing the church which was called Bethel. Alexander at the time was a circuit rider. Three acres for a log church and a cemetery were donated by a Baptist, Gideon Green McGhee, in 1856. The church also was used as a school.

Following the Civil War, Bethel church was in a state of disorganization and a long period of inertial followed. Crawfordsville was developing, and members felt the church should be relocated there. In 1883, Dr. and Mrs. J. R. Jenkins deeded the land for the present church site on Bay Ferry Road for $50 and in 1884, a small frame church was erected. This structure was remodeled in 1902 and used until 1917 when it was sold to a Negro congregation and moved south of the Union Pacific railroad tracks. It now serves as edifice for the New Hope Missionary Baptist Church.

Bethel Cemetery still remains at the site of the first Methodist church. Confederate veterans who were buried there included Privates William Guerrant Wash, William Lawler, John Alexander, Polk Landrum, Adolphus Fountain Crawford, Peter Daugherty, Benjamin Thomas May, Tom Smith, Allen Ingram, James Robert Alexander, and John Madison Fullwood. Others were Captain Baxter Claiborn Crump, Dr. Ben Novell, and Dr. John W. Guerrant.

Since the opening of Crittenden Memorial Park, on the western outskirts of Marion, some remains have been moved from both Bethel and Guerrant Cemeteries to that location.

 

 

---

 

 

*      Back to Cemeteries Page

 

*      Back to Links Index

 

*      Back to Home Page

 

 

---

 

Deborah Lunsford Yates, 2000 - 2003

Last Updated Friday, July 11, 2003, 7:30:35 AM CST