The Brownsville flouring mills, owned and managed by Nelson P. Crume since 1901, is one of the substantial enterprises of the town, and one which is destined to continually enlarge its business. This prophecy is based upon the excellent quality of the flour produced, and which finds a ready market all along the coast. Since coming under the present management the old mills have been completely overhauled, new and modern machinery introduced, and a capacity of fifty barrels a day attained to. The power is water, and the visitor to the white interior finds a hive of industry, wherein the greatest system and order prevail.
In Davies county, Mo., where he was born December 9, 1856, Mr. Crume was reared on the farm of his father, George W. Crume, who had settled there after leaving his native state of Illinois. The father left his home interests to serve in the Civil war, and became a martyr to the cause of the Union. Enlisting as a private in the Twenty-third Missouri Volunteer Infantry, in 1861, he took part in several of the first battles of the war, but died at Alton of camp fever, contracted while exposed to the rigors of the service, in 1863. His wife, formerly Malinda C. Thompson, was born in Kentucky, and some months after the death of her husband, married Lot S. Harris. The latter brought his wife and her children across the plains in 1864, and lived upon until his death, in 1900. He is survived by his wife, who lives with her son, Quincy, near Carlton.
The oldest of the three sons born to his parents, Nelson P. Crume, was educated in the public schools, and entered the Oregon Agricultural College, at Corvallis, in 1875. In 1882 he engaged in farming near Brownsville, purchasing one hundred acres of land, which he sold in 1890, and thereafter engaged in a general merchandise business in Shedds. Eleven years later he sold out and purchased the mills, to the management of which he has since devoted his energies. A native daughter of this vicinity, Sarah Harrison, became the wife of Mr. Crume, since his coming to Brownsville, her father, Robert Harrison, born in Lincolnshire, England, having come to the United States at an early day. Mr. Harrison located first in Michigan, from which state he crossed the plains in 1853 and settled on his present farm four miles northwest of Brownsville. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Crume: George W., on the home place; Van A., deceased; Nellie; Bessie; Iris; and Sarah. Politically Mr. Crume is a Prohibitionist, and he is at present serving his first term in the council. He is fraternally connected with the Blue Lodge No. 36, Free and Accepted Masons, of Brownsville, and the Woodmen of the World. A man of high moral character and unswerving integrity, he finds a religious home in the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a trustee, and towards the support and upbuilding of which he has liberally contributed both time and money for many years.
"Portrait and Biographical Record of the Willamette Valley", pages