For forty years James A. Ebbert has been taking the steps forward that have numbered him among the successful men of Lane county. Like many others he came empty-handed to the state of Oregon and is now a large land-owner in Whitman county, Wash., and upon his farm of three hundred and twenty acres in Lane county, Ore., he has been engaged since 1850 in hog-raising, the profits of which have been greatly inreased by his preparation of cured meat, in which form the public is offered his products.
Mr. Ebbert was born near Uniontown, Pa., March 25, 1831, and lived there on a farm until twenty years of age, when he went to Van Buren county, Iowa, and spent the time intervening between that and his trip to the west. In the spring of 1852 he came across the plains with four yoke of oxen, and after eighty-four days reached his destination and became a resident of Oregon. In the fall of the same year he went to the Rogue River mines for a short period, and in November he located in Portland, remaining until August, 1853. He then came to Lane county and took up a donation claim of a hundred and sixty acres near Springfield, and after a five-years' residence there he sold the farm for $1,000, and located three and a half miles northeast of the same city. Since that time he has been extensively engaged in the raising of hogs, devoting his energies entirely to this work, and meeting with substantial returns for the intelligent effort put forth. In 1880 he began investing his money in land in Whitman county, Wash., and now owns several thousand acres in the county and one ranch of one hundred and sixty acres in Latah county, Idaho.
On December 15, 1853, Mr. Ebbert was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Brattain, who died July 29, 1902, leaving no family. In his political relations Mr. Ebbert is a life-long Republican, having cast his vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1860 at the first presidential election in Oregon, and has voted for every Republican candidate for president since that time.
"Portrait and Biographical Record of the Willamette Valley", page 1400