As one of the keen, enterprising manufacturers of Corvallis, and a citizen of sterling worth and character, Mr. Buxton is well deserving of honorable mention in this biographical work. As junior member of the firm of Sheasgreen & Buxton, he is actively identified with one of the largest and best known manufacturing establishments of the kind in Benton county, and indirectly connected with the building interests of all parts of the country, the products of the Central Planing Mills and Box Factory, the plant of this firm, being shipped to all sections of the United States, although more especially used in Oregon and the near-by states.
A native of Washington county, Ore., Edward Buxton was born July 28, 1850, in Forest Grove, a son of the late Henry Buxton. His Grandfather Buxton, who was born and reared in Yorkshire, England, was employed by the Hudson Bay Company to come to Manitoba with the first colony sent over, the ship in which he emigrated being frozen in Hudson Bay throughout the winter. Arriving in Manitoba, he operated a grist mill near Winnipeg until 1841, when he came to Oregon, settling on Tualatin Plains, taking up land, which he improved. Later he began farming about a mile west of Forest Grove, still later locating in Forest Grove, where he resided until his death, at the age of seventy-six years.
Born in Manitoba, Canada, Henry Buxton lived there until twelve years old, when he came with his parents to Oregon, coming with ox carts as far as the Rocky Mountains, when the country became so rough that the oxen and few horses had to be packed with the goods and many of the party were forced to walk a part of the reminaing journey. He assisted his father in clearing a homestead, and on reaching man's estate began farming on his own account, buying a right and having it recorded. Continuing in his chosen vocation, he met with both profit and pleasure in his work, carrying on general farming near Forest Grove throughout his life. He married Rosanna Wooley, who was born in Ohio, a daughter of Jacob Wooley, who crossed the plains in 1845 with his family, and settled on a farm in Tualatin, Ore., where he spent his remaining days. Of the twelve children born of their union, Edward is the oldest child of the six boys and one girl now living. The father and mother both died in Forest Grove several years ago.
Reared on the home farm, Edward Buxton remained beneath the parental roof until seventeen years old, completing his early education at the Tualatin Academy. Having an aptitude for mechanical pursuits he learned the carpenter's trade in Forest Grove, and was there engaged as a carpenter and builder until 1878. The ensuing two years he was employed in the planing mill owned by Adams & Jones, in McMinnville, going from there to Portland, Ore., where he reminaed successfully engaged as a contractor and builder for ten years. Returning to Forest Grove in 1890, he operated a planing mill there for five years, then located in Corvallis as a contractor and builder. In 1899 Mr. Buxton purchased the interest of James Gray in the Central Planing Mill and Box Factory, as mentioned in the sketch of F.P. Sheasgreen, on another page of this volume, becoming junior member of one of the most enterprising firms of Benton county, and has since carried on a thriving business.
Mr. Buxton married, while living in Forest Grove, Elizabeth Roderick, a native of Illinois, and into their household four children have been born, namely: George H., a machinist in the Portland Iron Works; Daisy A., wife of George O. Sloan, proprietor of the Forest Grove Hotel; Harry E., a carpenter in Corvallis; and Minnie, a nurse in the Good Samaritan Hospital, at Portland, Ore. Politically Mr. Buxton is a firm believer in the Republican party, supporting it by all means within his power, and while a resident of Forest Grove served as city recorder two terms. Fraternally he is a member of Holbrook Lodge, No. 30, A.F. & A.M., of Forest Grove; and of the Eastern Star Chapter, of Corvallis. He is also a member of the Native Sons of Oregon.
"Portrait and Biographical Record of the Willamette Valley", pages