A man of high intellectual attainments, an earnest worker, especially devoted to the interests of the scientific department, of which he has charge, Professor Cordley is considered an authority on zoology and entomology, and by his constant and conscientious labor, both in his classes and at the experiment station, has won for himself an enviable reputation, and gained an honored position among the able instructors of the Oregon Agricultural College, with which he is connected. Energetic and ambitious, he has built up the department of which he is now at the head from its foundation, making it one of the most useful in the college, and one of the most popular. Active in local enterprises, he has done much toward advancing the interests of Corvallis, and is everywhere held in high esteem, his integrity as a man, and his loyalty as a citizen being unquestioned.
A son of the late Charles Cordley, Prof. Arthur B. Cordley was born February 11, 1864, at Pinckney, Livingston county, Mich., which was also the birthplace of his father. His paternal grandfather, James Cordley, was born, reared and married in England. Emigrating to America, in 1833, he settled in Michigan, taking up land in Livingston county, near Hamburg Junction, and there improved a homestead, on which he spent his remaining years. Charles Cordley spent his entire life in Michigan, succeeding to the ownership of his parental acres, and being engaged in agricultural pursuits most successfully. His wife, whose maiden name was Esther Hicks, was a life-long resident of Michigan, although she was of Pennsylvania ancestry, her parents having been natives of that state. Of the three children born of their union, Arthur B., the only son, is the only one to come to the Pacific coast, the two daughters still residing in Michigan.
Laying the foundation for his education in the district school, Arthur B. Cordley labored hard during his vacations on the home farm, continuing his agricultural labors until nineteen years of age, when he entered upon his professional career, teaching in a public school for two years. Becoming a student at the Michigan State Agricultural College, in Lansing, in the spring of 1885, he was graduated from that institution with the degree of B.S. in 1888. Remaining there the ensuing two years, first as instructor in zoology, and later as assistant entomologist, he then accepted a position in the University of Vermont, at Burlington, becoming instructor in zoology in the College of Agriculture, and assistant entomologist at the experiment station. In May, 1891, Professor Cordley went to Washington, D.C., as assistant entomologist in the United States Department of Agriculture, remaining there until 1893. Returning then to Michigan, he spent two years on the home farm, leaving it in 1895 to take up his present work as professor of zoology and entomology at the Oregon Agricultural College, being, also, entomologist and plant pathologist at the experiment station. An earnest student, the professor is continually adding to his scientific knowledge, in 1899 taking a graduate course for that purpose at Cornell University. In 1900 he was honored by his alma mater, which conferred upon him the degree of M.S. He has a wide reputation in scientific and literary circles, being a member of the American Association of Economic Entomologists, a branch of the American Association for Advancement of Science.
At Brookings, S.D., Professor Cordley married Miss Mary McLouth, a native of Ypsilanti, Mich., a daughter of Prof. Lewis McLouth, Ph.D., for many years one of the faculty of the Michigan State Normal School, later president of the State Agricultural College of South Dakota, but now a resident of Springfield, Mass., where he organized, and still has charge, of the Intercollegiate Branch of the Home Correspondence School. Professor and Mrs. Cordley have one child, Dorothea. Professor Cordley is a Republican in politics, a member of the Congregational Church, and belongs to the W. of W., and to Corvallis Lodge, No. 14, F. & A.M.
"Portrait and Biographical Record of the Willamette Valley", pages