Two new school photos have been added (1920s AND 1950s) and we would like to know the pupils' names. Click HERE to see them.
A master index of names in all the sources listed below. Census and other information organised by dwelling. Links to maps. History of the parish in a national and regional context. (Limited.)
|Abergavenny Chronicle||Very limited at present: just one report of the village festivities for the coronation of Edward VII in 1902.|
|Book of Baglan||Llyfr Baglan was compiled between the years 1600 and 1607 and contains the pedigrees of local minor gentry families. It was edited by J.A. Bradney and published in 1910. None of the entries deals specifically with Llangattock Lingoed families, but all other references to them have been extracted.|
Census returns for the parish have been organised
by dwelling: browse either the Name Index or the House Index above.
|Directories||Transcriptions of entries in the Post Office Directory of 1871 and Kelly's Directory for 1895, 1901, 1914 and 1920.|
|Dissenters||Four persons who were registered as dissenters in 1818.|
|Electoral Registers||Those registered as entitled to vote in 1832, 1841 and 1844.|
|James Davies||The life of James Davies, published in 1850, is of limited genealogical value, but these extracts provide an interesting portrait.|
|James Davies School||The register of pupils, started in 1881, with address, name of parent and date of birth. All children are listed, but only those living in the parish are indexed; also, a listing of all the teachers known to have taught at the school.|
||Various documents relating to court actions, deeds, settlements etc.|
|Manorial Records||Surviving manorial records beginning with those from 1256-7.|
|Marriage Bonds||Applications to marry by licence 1730-1834.|
|Memorial Inscriptions||Monuments inside the church and in the churchyard recorded by Sir Joseph Bradney in 1904.|
||Assorted references to individuals and families.|
|Owners of Land 1873||A listing of owners of land who were resident in the parish. Note that this does not necessarily mean that the land they owned was in the parish nor that all owners of the land in the parish are included.|
|Parish Registers||An on-line version of the registers of baptisms, marriages and burials up to 1849. For some alternative sources, see the pages for baptisms and marriages.|
|Park Estate 1821||Much of the western side of the parish was part of the estate of the Earl of Abergavenny, known as The Park. A survey of the whole estate, with a listing of tenants, was produced in 1821.|
|St Cadoc's Church||Rectors and curates since 1668 (some earlier); also the names of some churchwardens and entries from the churchwardens' books.|
|Taxation Records||Together with death, one of life's certainties. Some 16th- and 17th-century records survive, as well as early 20th-century farm evaluations.|
|Tithe Apportionment 1843||The owners and occupiers of land and dwellings. Parcels of land with dwellings are linked to old Ordnance Survey maps.|
|Wills||Proved wills of persons named as living in Llangattock Lingoed, together with others associated with the parish.|
These pages are regularly updated.
The information provided is a guide to the original sources; it is not a substitute for them or for your own judgement.
There are brief histories of the major families and their houses in Sir Joseph Bradney, A History of Monmouthshire, Volume 1, Part 2, London, Mitchell Hughes and Clarke, 1906 (repr. Academy Books, London, 1991)
Several local houses are described, in terms of construction techniques, in Sir Cyril Fox and Lord Raglan, Monmouthshire Houses, Parts I-III, National Museum of Wales, Cardiff, 1951-54 (repr. Merton Priory Press, Cardiff, 1994)
CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS BEAUTIFUL AREA
Email Ken Prandy with any comments about these web pages.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids