HARROGATE (STONEFALL) CEMETERY
Wetherby Road, Harrogate
Date opened: 05.06.1914
Bereavement Services Manager
Tel: 01423 883523
Fax: 01423 884151
8.30am - 4.30pm
Weekends and Bank Holidays
Stonefall Cemetery is located south-east of Harrogate, on
the fringe of the town, just off the A661 on Forest Lane
Information from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Many airfields were established in Yorkshire during the Second World
War, among them R.A.F. stations at Harrogate, Linton-on-Ouse, Tockwith,
Rufforth and Marston Moor.
No. 6 (R.C.A.F.) Bomber Group, had their headquarters at Allerton Park
near Knaresborough and all the stations controlled by this group were
in the area north of Harrogate, the largest base having its
headquarters at Linton-on-Ouse.
Nearly all of the 988 Second World War burials in Harrogate (Stonefall)
Cemetery are of airmen, two-thirds of them Canadian.
Many of these men died in the military wing of Harrogate General
During the early months of the war, a piece of land was set aside for
service war burials in Sections 20E and 21E and in July 1943, the Air
Forces Section was opened at the north-eastern corner of the cemetery
for burials from airfields in Yorkshire and the north-eastern counties.
A few of the war graves from this period are scattered elsewhere in the
There are also 23 servicemen of the First World War buried or
commemorated at Harrogate Stonefall.
This total includes six casualties alternatively commemorated by
special memorial because their graves in churchyards elsewhere* could
no longer be maintained.
* Low Moor (Wesley Place) Methodist Churchyard; Edlington (St Peter)
New Churchyard ; Denholme Wesleyan Reform Chapelyard.
No. of Identified Casualties: 1016
*(1 of the burials
is an unidentified R.A.F. airman)
War Graves Register
Memorial Plaque inside the shelter
Links to CWGC