from Brownwood, Texas
George W. Wells and Mary Melvina Beal Family
George W. Wells was born in 1852 in Greene, Missouri. His parents were Nelson Oliver Wells and Mary Tennis. He married Mary Melvina Beal "Mollie", daughter of Hannah Elizabeth Wood and Albert Andrew Beal, on 22 Aug 1880 in Brownwood, Texas.
1. Debra "Debbie" Leorah Wells married William "Willie" Green Balemon, son of Oliver Green Balemon and Lydia Francis Standley on June 14, 1902 in Hamilton County, Texas. Their children were, Lydia Lee, Bessie, Ella Mae and William Carrington. After Debra first husband died she re-married William Riley Dula (previously married to Emma Georgia Senn).
2. Earl Franklin Wells was born on 25 Jul 1882 in Brownwood, Brown, Texas. When he was 26, he married Margaret "Maggie" Ellen Flanagan, daughter of Caron Flanagan and Rachel Elizabeth Trusty, on 26 Dec 1908 in Henrietta, Clay, Texas. Earl Franklin Wells and Margaret Ellen Flanagan had the following children: Velva Agnes Wells, Georgia Lavern Wells, Infant Wells and Joseph Caron Wells . Earl died on 30 Oct 1917 in Stamford, Jones, Texas at the young age of 34. After Earl died Margaret re-married Thomas John Marshall Jennings.
3. Ollie Mae Wells was born on 22 Feb 1886 in Brownwood, Brown, Texas. When Ollie Mae was 15, She married William Lindsay Sanders, son of Henry L. Sanders and Mary Melvina Slaughter, on Sep 13 , 1901 in Brownwood, Brown, Texas. They had twelve children. Ollie Mae died on 31 Aug 1953 in McLennan, Texas and is buried in Waco Memorial Park Cemetery.
4. Lenard Charles Wells was born on Feb 22, 1887 in Brownwood, Brown, Texas. He married Myrtle Gotcher, daughter of Charles Loyd Gotcher and Amanda Emmaline Roberts , on 23 June 1910 in Brown County Texas. They had seven children.
5. Joseph Ather Wells I , was born on Nov 25, 1889 in Brownwood, Texas. He married Ollie Celester Taylor, daughter of Harvey Taylor and Eudora Hutchinson, on May 13, 1923 in Brownwood Co, Texas. The had several children. * In the 1900 CENSUS he is listed as "ATHENS"
6. Jacob Bynam Wells was born on Feb 15, 1892 in Brownwood, Texas. He married Sarah Elenor "Nellie" Matlock, daughter of Albert Clark Matlock and Mary 'Mollie' Ellen Murray. They has several children. Nellie and Jacob divorced. Nellie re-married Lemuel Dee Wilborn and Jacob re- married Era Jewel Reed. He was a bus driver in San Saba for many years.
7. Rufus Wells was born on July 5, 1895 in Brownwood, Texas. His mother died when he was young and when Rufus was 14 years old he was living with his Uncle Charles Nelson Wells and Aunt Luncinda Wells in Brownwood, Texas. He lived as a boarder in the Dickerson Home for awhile before he married and divorced Bertha C. Payne. (Bertha re-married a Loyce Adams). Rufus and Bertha had several children. Rufus joined the army in 1917 at the age of 22 and served during World War I and was stationed in New Mexico. He lived in Carlsbad, New Mexico until he was reunited with his son Charlie D. Wells. When he returned to Texas he was in a Veterans Hospital in Dallas. He is buried in Laurel Land Memorial Park. He headstone is unmarked.
8. Addie Bell Wells was born on Feb 22, 1898 in Brownwood, Texas. She married George Franklin Williams, Sr, son of John Morgan Williams and Margaret "Jane" Hunt. They had several children; George Franklin, Lottie Lee, and James Richard Williams. George Franklin Williams, Sr re-married Mildred Rains.
Transcript of the letter:
Mrs. Addie Williams
My dear daughter:
How are all of you. Well I hope, I love just got up with the flu had it 3 weeks just now able to walk about a little. Addie Bell I want to come out there and stay awhile if it's agreeable with you, just as soon as I get enough to come. Have you all had the flu. I hope not, Ollie baby has been pretty sick with it, she is better now.
Your old daddy,
Nelson Oliver Wells was born in 1825 in Clermont County, Ohio.
He married Mary Tennis on Sept 17, 1848 in Ozark, Christian County,
Missouri. They had several children.
Mary Tennis died and Nelson re-married Rachel Adeline Gray on Sept. 30 1869 in Ozark, Christian County, Missouri. The family moved to Brownwood County, Texas.