Carley Douglas Hale and Beatrice Laola Gillmore
and related families
Christian County, Kentucky to Mart, McLennan, Texas
Picture of the children of :
Carley Douglas Hale & Beatrice Laola Gillmore:
Carlee Juanita Hale (Baker - Nichols), Clifton Melvin Hale
& Verna Mae "Pee Wee" Hale (Davis)
parents of Carley Douglas Hale :
Stephen Douglas "S.D." Hale was born on 16 Jan 1862 in Christian County,
Kentucky. His parents were David Hale and Mary Jane Allen. He had three
siblings, namely: Emaretta A, Paralee (Littlefield) , and Martha D. When Stephen
was 23, He married Lenora Belle "Nora" West on 25 Oct 1885 in Christian County,
Kentucky, USA. They moved their family to Texas around 1895. Stephen was a
farmer. He died of cirrhosis of the liver in a Baptist Sanitarium on 23 Jun 1927
in McLennan, Texas.
Lenora Bell WEST was born on 16 Jan 1869 in Christian, Kentucky. Lenora's parents were James Harlan West and Perlina Grace West and the died when she was only 10-11 years old. Lenora died on 09 Aug 1954 in Mart, McLennan, Texas and is buried with her husband Stephen Douglas Hale in Mart Cemetery.
1. Clifton Pratt Hale was born on 06 Jun 1887 in Christian County, Kentucky, USA (Fruit Hill). Clifton married Ebna Jane Beaty, daughter of James Allen Beaty and Leila Skinner. He died on 27 Mar 1952 in Falls, Texas. He was only 64. They had NO children.
2. Vernie Lee Hale was born on 05 Nov 1889 in Christian County, Kentucky. Her first husband was Thomas Mark "Tom" McElreath, son of James Thomas McElreath and Mary Weddingon, in 1905 in Mart, McLennan, Texas, USA. . They had two children; Maybelle and David Comer McElreath. After Thomas had died Vernie re-married John Rubin Fullbright, son of Robert A Fullbright and Mary Emma Schmal, in 1947 in Mart, McLennan, Texas. John Rubin Fullbright and his brother-law Basil Lowery Hale died in a accidental fire in Mart, Texas in 1965. Vernie died on 22 Dec 1966 in Mart, McLennan, Texas.
3. Basil Lowery Hale was born on 12 Oct 1890 in Christian County, Kentucky. Basil married Olevea Louise Morganthaler, daughter of Frank Morganthaler and Caroline Koenig, on 14 Nov 1917 in McLennan, Texas. They had 3 boys and had separated later on. Basil died on 25 Mar 1965 in Mart, McLennan, Texas in an accidental fire.
4. Carley Douglas Hale was born on April 5, 1896 in McLennan County, Texas. Up until he was 21 years old he had worked on a farm. He enlisted in the U.S. Army during World War I on Jun 5,1917. In the 1920 census he was living as a border in Robinson Springs, Comanche, Texas working on an oil field. He married his first wife Clemmie V. Douglas on March 19, 1916 in Mart, Texas. They had 1 daughter; Mildred Louise Hale Goerner. Carley and Clemmie were only married for a short period of time. Carley then married his second wife Beatrice Laola Gillmore, daughter of Jasper Marion Gillmore and Vashti McMillan, on Nov 11,1921. They had three children; Clifton, Carlee and Verna Hale.He was only 40 years old when he died of Tuberculosis.
5. Barnie Idel Hale was born on 31 Aug 1898 in Mart, McLennan, Texas, USA. He died on 17 Sep 1902 in Mart, McLennan, Texas. (died when he was 4 years old).
6. Jewell Hale was born about 1901 in Mart, McLennan, Texas, USA. He was in prison in Huntsville, Texas for the murder of Max Rubin a merchant in Mart, Texas. On May 1, 1919 Jewell and his accomplice Eugene E. Spencer hit Rubin over the head with a hammer and killed him. They made there getaway in Stephen Douglas Hale car headed to Mexico but was stopped by police in El Paso, Texas. Stephen Douglas Hale spent lots of money trying to get him pardoned. He was pardoned on July 12 1925. Eugene Spencer was pardoned on Dec 25, 1927. Jewell was arrested again for burglarizing a store in Groveton, Trinity, Texas in 1927.
7. Vera May Hale was born on 22 Nov 1908 in Mart, McLennan, Texas, USA. Vera married Robert Alton Owens, son of George Mark Owens and Lula "Lola" Belle Heatly. They had two children; Bobby Hale and Linda Sue Owens. Vera died on 02 Apr 1993 in Mart, McLennan, Texas at the age of 84.
Lenora Belle West Hale; daughter of James Harlan West and Perlina Grace of Christian County, Kentucky