Wicomico Parish Church
Monument erected at current church to honor Colonial Ministers serving
a year or more and Colonial Wardens, 1702-1794.
It is a strange thing that John Leland is on the monument, yet John Leland,
Jr., who served from 1775 to 1789 is not. Perhaps there was confusion
as to who was who.
Our thanks go to Ann Bender, who discovered in the Fulham Papers the date
of John Leland's licensure; 24 September 1744. In the confusion with dates
from manuscript of J.A.C. Leland, John Leland's first mention in the Vestry
book according to The History of Wicomico Parish including 1703-1795
is March the 11th 1744/5
. The monument
has the dates reversed for David Currie and John Leland.